The Smiths reach top 500 of all time on Spotify

The Smiths’ popularity keeps growing and growing. For the first time they have reached 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify ánd made their top 500 artists which deserves a special mention on Spotify’s platform.

IMG_6183.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, they keep growing and growing !
Morrissey is at 1 701 561 monthly listeners at the moment and he keeps growing too.
Let's hope he can get to 2 million soon !

The Smiths’ popularity keeps growing and growing. For the first time they have reached 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify ánd made their top 500 artists which deserves a special mention on Spotify’s platform.
Very interesting! I don't use Spotify (have Apple Music instead) but is there a web link to the Spotify data anywhere? (Or it is only available to premium subscribers or something?)

Morrissey on Spotify
30/01/2024 = 1 679 739
04/02/2024 = 1 701 561
That's over 20 000 in a few days.
Surely The Smiths rise has some effect on Moz solo ...

In July 2022 he had 1,857,325 listeners & the Smiths had 9,673,475.

His solo work isn't building a new audience.

He's been separated from the Smiths & Marr is really active at the moment.

Oh well....let's hope the release of a new album will boost his numbers.... that's if he gets a deal of course 🤞

I have very limited access to the internet at the moment and no tv so have been relying on"the radio" for entertainment, takes me back to my teen years especially as much of the music is still played. But I have heard The Smiths three times in a week and I thought there was an issue about them never getting airplay. So was the airplay issue just back then in the 80s? Must say , I haven't heard any of Morrissey's solo music during this "radio" period!

Marr is currently at 349K. Don’t know where he came from.
Moz has indeed been steady at around 1,7 million for years.
He definitely hasn’t ‘lost’ an audience as some would like to believe.

Spotify figures are ever-changing and odd to say the least. Spotify attach certain artists to promoted lists and features and that has counted positively for both Morrissey and The Smiths. Similarly, external events like The Simpsons episode can exert an influence. Deciphering those figures and their constant fluctuations probably makes drawing any solid conclusion difficult.

Central December 2019:

52177_2019_spotify_stats.jpg

Also:
January 2023:
"nearly 1.8m" (asserted to be up from 1.6m in late 2022 due to being added to Spotify-promoted 'Manchester' playlists)

April 2021:
"1,845,965"
(assumed to be +115,000 post-Simpsons)
Also:
"nearly 1.9 million monthly listeners and on Last.fm he has 1.3 million listeners"

January 2020:
"1,750,874" - 5 days later: "1.8m now".

June 2019:
"1,731,479" (via Spotify mobile app)

All taken from threads here.
FWD.

Moz should thank UnclePeter for the upturn in numbers. I'm told that he listened to 'Oh well, I'll never learn' 2,789,675 times during January...and he doesn't even like it very much.

surely there is enough dosh from this to buy back bonfire,someone said he has already bought it back but not too sure if thats true and surely record companies must monitor these things and if an artist has 1.7 million plays per month then surely it must be worth a gamble on a two album contract.

if the smiths are 481st on spotify then i would love to see the top 10,would imagine taylor swift and the beatles would be in it.

if the smiths are 481st on spotify then i would love to see the top 10,would imagine taylor swift and the beatles would be in it.
I would too. I’m guessing also The Weeknd. Sheeran, maybe?

1707080753357.jpeg

Absolutely horrific.

Back
Top Bottom