Morrissey swearing

Just listened to Tony The Pony. Occurred to me that it's the only time I can personally recall Moz using the word 'f***(ed)' in any song of his I've heard. He even buries it in the mix. I recall him using 'shit' on some other song but, really, his vocabulary is pretty chaste, even if the subject matter is not. Wonder idly what that's about.

Just listened to Tony The Pony. Occurred to me that it's the only time I can personally recall Moz using the word 'f***(ed)' in any song of his I've heard. He even buries it in the mix. I recall him using 'shit' on some other song but, really, his vocabulary is pretty chaste, even if the subject matter is not. Wonder idly what that's about.

‘Shit’ is used on ‘How can Anyone Possibly Know…’. It was a word also used by me, immediately after hearing the song.

I gather I’m in a minority, but I really like Tony the Pony.

I don't think he ever used a swear word in an interview (at least that I encountered) until this 1992 interview when he used "pile of shit."

Didn't he swear on stage when someone dinged him in the head with a plastic bottle or cup or whatever it was

I’m fairly certain it’s “soft-touch Tony”.
>

“I’ve had my face dragged in fifteen miles of shit.”

“Thicker than pig shit, nothing to convey.”

“Flatulent pain in the arse.”

“Dizzy whore, 1804.”

“They’ll seduce your heart and then they’ll slap your arse.”

“When I lived in the arse of the world.”

Just listened to Tony The Pony. Occurred to me that it's the only time I can personally recall Moz using the word 'f***(ed)' in any song of his I've heard.
You still haven't - he doesn't used the words 'f***cked up'h - the correct lyrics are 'soft-touch'. Whoever wrote the wiki lyrics on this website misheard them and got it wrong. I'm guessing they were American and the phrase of someone being a 'soft touch' isn't much used over there. There's been a previous thread mentioning this, but it never got corrected. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-a-z-tony-the-pony.148667/

He doesn't.
It's very obviously 'soft touch'.
It sounds like it, and it makes complete sense within the context - 'there's a free ride on soft-touch Tony'.

You still haven't - he doesn't used the words 'f***cked up'h - the correct lyrics are 'soft-touch'. Whoever wrote the wiki lyrics on this website misheard them and got it wrong. I'm guessing they were American and the phrase of someone being a 'soft touch' isn't much used over there. There's been a previous thread mentioning this, but it never got corrected. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-a-z-tony-the-pony.148667/
Fair enough. Least it kicked off a short discussion of the kind of language used by a poet. 😀

I’ve always heard “soft-touch Tony”

As others have said, it's this, just drowned in the Fifties-style slapback echo on the vocal. Bear in mind that he earlier sings "but you will carry the can for anyone" and calls him "gullible Tony." He's an easy mark, a soft touch.

I can't find one with the swearing part in it

The swearing incident actually occurred in Hamburg, November 2009. You can see it in the video below at the 0:14 mark.

With the swearing and bottle incidents -- not to mention him collapsing on stage after one song in Swindon -- that Swords tour was certainly a disaster. It's no surprise he took a full year off from touring in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom