Mark Simpson on "This Charming Man" a capella (July 1, 2024)

Excerpt:

When ageing Smiths fans like me sing along to ‘This Charming Man’, The Smiths' second, breakthrough 1983 single - and the song that ruined our lives - we fondly imagine ourselves achieving some kind of crude approximation of his famous vocals, after all these years of study and devotion. Trying to live up to the lyrical command of that soliciting single.

But as this stunning, eerie, isolated - desolate, even - vocal track from the single recording, stripped back of all the bright, jangly cheeriness, proves, none of us, or his professional imitators, came even slightly close. Ever.

full

Related thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great track ---- especially the version on Hatful :D (sorry, just had to say it)

And the cover art for the single was BEAUTIFUL. I remember discovering that at 15 and was just so impressed with the band's art direction and image.

at least mr simpson never finished his article with a BUT,most articles these days do.

That's a great track ---- especially the version on Hatful :D (sorry, just had to say it)

And the cover art for the single was BEAUTIFUL. I remember discovering that at 15 and was just so impressed with the band's art direction and image.
Love the guitar intro in the hatful of hollow version!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom