I feel so very depressed today

• Thread starter 'Radar' O'Reilly
  • Start date
R

'Radar' O'Reilly

I think a major Smiths/Morrissey session is called for later, what do you lot cling to when you're depressed. I used to go to the nearest pub and hammer the booze but I've given up drinking these days.

> I think a major Smiths/Morrissey session is called for later, what do you
> lot cling to when you're depressed. I used to go to the nearest pub and
> hammer the booze but I've given up drinking these days.

Get your chin off your chest boy, and walk like you have an arab strap down your pants.. Seriously Radar, keep on looking on the bright side. I drove up the M1 just this morning, frosted fields and ambiguous copses were offset by an amazing orange sun against a dusky blue sky that is usually the reserve of artists.. It happened for real this morning, and probably not a million miles from your home. So, look about and see the positives about you, you're a good lad.

Ruffian

Aw Radar. What's up matey? Is it the time of year?
Just think of all those undiscovered record shops awaiting you to trawl through their boxes of forgotten vinyl. You could find a mega rare Kirsty Maccoll 12" picture disc or a lost Ruts album.

As well as Moz/Smiths, try listening to these

'I Smell Winter' - The Housemartins
The first Stone Roses album (or if you prefer, just the b-side)
'Worker's Playtime' - Billy Bragg

Here, have a Christmas kiss xx

It's a tough one.Any feelings of loneliness and alienation are exasperated at this time of year.Everywhere is awash with phoniness and greed and it's diffucult to stand apart.

I've learned various coping techniques over the years but you have to find your own.As I have spoken about before I neither use or booze anymore which is for the better as alcohol is a major depressant.

What do I do ? Well I would not have believed this 10 years ago but excercise is a great way of helping to improve the state of the mind. I don't necessarily mean becoming a gym junkie but a walk in the park at this time of year is amazing. Hold your head up and look at the beauty around you.

I live near the City Centre and within 10 minuted I can walk to about 4 different galleries including the National Gallery Of Scotland. Marvel in the beauty of art and creativity. It works

Write a letter to someone.I know this idea of sending "snail mail" will be poo pooed by people but the art of letter writing doesn't have to be dead
There is probably someone out there you have lost touch with who would love to hear from you.

Music can help. As can books. I think at this time of year our natural inclinations are to hibernate but get out there. Trawl some 2nd hand shops just DO SOMETHING.

It is a crap time of years. The suicide rates quadruple at this time of year and calls to the Samaritans go through the roof but whatever happens hang in there.
Xmas is one day...24 hours...nothing.

This weekend I have been reading a biography of Mark E Smith.Brilliant and watching "Bowling For Columbine" which is amazing.

Take care. I'm off to the snow clad Highlands in a few hours !

J

When I get sad I go out for a walk and that cheers me up right away. A lot of people feel down around the holidays. It will pass and there will be happier days ahead.
More personal, When I go to my Parent's house I drive by a makeshift memorial that's located on a street where a 9/11 victim lived, I think of those poor people who lost loved ones I count my blessings.

I don't drink either, so I've had some experiences similar to yours....

Different kinds of depression call for diffent music. For some of the most desolate kinds, I use Joy Division as a scouring pad. It's cathartic. For milder forms, Smiths or the Cure can provide comfort. Nirvana works well for angry depression. But music sometimes isn't enough. When I feel stifled, sometimes only by radically changing my behavior can I get out of the funk. Do something you wouldn't normally do or don't feel like doing. Go out and talk to people. Ask a girl (or boy) out. Dress funny in public. Say bizarre things and watch people's reactions. Jump in the fountain. Lose some inhibitions. Sometimes that can change my entire outlook on things.

More prosaic things can be helpful, too. Write something (poem/story/song/letter). Clean your room while listening to whatever music you're in the mood for. Do something athletic, even just running.

You could deal directly with whatever precipitated your depression, if you know what it is.

You can try to improve your closeness to your family, which can be a great support, by telling them about how you feel and seeing if it develops into a meaningful conversation. Talk/go out with friends who seem to appreciate you and indulge in a bit of introspection with them.

Those are the things that have worked for me at diverse and sundry times. I don't know how severe your feelings are, but if you think about suicide, go see a professional. It can't hurt. In the US (don't know where you're from) a lot of counties have free mental health services.

Thanks for trying to help people, the last message in particular cheered me up, I mean the thought of me asking someone out is hilarious, I've never done so before mainly because it's so obvious that I would pass out and have to be picked up of the floor.

> I don't drink either, so I've had some experiences similar to yours....

> Different kinds of depression call for diffent music. For some of the most
> desolate kinds, I use Joy Division as a scouring pad. It's cathartic. For
> milder forms, Smiths or the Cure can provide comfort. Nirvana works well
> for angry depression. But music sometimes isn't enough. When I feel
> stifled, sometimes only by radically changing my behavior can I get out of
> the funk. Do something you wouldn't normally do or don't feel like doing.
> Go out and talk to people. Ask a girl (or boy) out. Dress funny in public.
> Say bizarre things and watch people's reactions. Jump in the fountain.
> Lose some inhibitions. Sometimes that can change my entire outlook on
> things.

> More prosaic things can be helpful, too. Write something
> (poem/story/song/letter). Clean your room while listening to whatever
> music you're in the mood for. Do something athletic, even just running.

> You could deal directly with whatever precipitated your depression, if you
> know what it is.

> You can try to improve your closeness to your family, which can be a great
> support, by telling them about how you feel and seeing if it develops into
> a meaningful conversation. Talk/go out with friends who seem to appreciate
> you and indulge in a bit of introspection with them.

> Those are the things that have worked for me at diverse and sundry times.
> I don't know how severe your feelings are, but if you think about suicide,
> go see a professional. It can't hurt. In the US (don't know where you're
> from) a lot of counties have free mental health services.

> Thanks for trying to help people, the last message in particular cheered
> me up, I mean the thought of me asking someone out is hilarious, I've
> never done so before mainly because it's so obvious that I would pass out
> and have to be picked up of the floor.
Get yerself down to Mcarthur glen,and check out the totty,just got back to shitty Derby from there,and the women were out in force.Theres a particularly nice one works in Thorntons.

> Get yerself down to Mcarthur glen,and check out the totty,just got back to
> shitty Derby from there,and the women were out in force.Theres a
> particularly nice one works in Thorntons.

Haha, McArthur Glen employs the cream of the beautiful scousers

> the beautiful scousers

There's three words I never thought I'd see right next to each other. So, you see Radar, life's full of wee surprises.

Back
Top Bottom