Best of Spitting Image

Right Whinger

There was a show on UK TV last night talking about the once popular satire programme 'Spitting Image'. For Non Uk readers it was satire using puppets and was quite funny at times. They pulled the plug on it in '96 I think so last night was a nostalgic look back and it interviewed some of the people they took the piss out of.

The played 'What Difference Does It Make' when profiling the leaders of the SDP/Liberal Alliance. Nice to hear a Smiths clip but got me wondering? Did they ever 'do' Moz?

I heard that too.

I don't remember them ever "doing" Moz so to speak but I could be wrong. I used to watch it all the time but not being into the Smiths originally (I know, I know) it may not have registered in my tiny brain at the time.

I didn't notice "What Difference?" but I definitely heard "How Soon is Now?" and "That Joke isn't Funny Anymore" ( the latter when Paul "Wigsy" Daniels was upset about his portrail).

Yeah, Moz seems like an 80's target too easy to not pick on...would like to see the puppet though!

mishima said:
My memory seems to think they did do a Moz puppet, can't remember the exact details though.

I'm sure he was breifly on Spitting Image!

I only saw the start of last nights show, was that the real Ant & Dec?

Last edited:
I'm wracking the recesses of my brain to recall the actual sketch. The file marked 'teenage obsessions' is certain the puppet had a particularly prominent chin, he had some daffs, and it involved comments about misery, nothing original there then! I just remember sitting in fron of the tv and thinking/screaming 'ahhh they've done morrissey'.

I vaguely remember a Moz puppet.

I distinctly remember a skit involving "Princess Di" singing along to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (with obviously 'hilarious' lyrical changes) about the time that her marriage was breaking up. Not, I hasten to add, when the car broke up :eek:

And it involved flowers and things.... to make it more Morrisseyesque!

To die by Dodi's side....

Can someone upload the picture of the Moz Puppet? If it exists.

I don't recall ever seeing Moz on Spitting Image, I'm sure the sketch would have appeared by now if he ever had. I do remember the puppet from the Bo Selecta series, if I've got the name of that right.

moz-bo2.jpg

That Bo Selecta one is hilarious!! What series was it on? I've got series one and two but don't remember Moz ever being on there!

Smiths on Spitting Image

Yes i remember watching (and pissing myself laughing) when the played Princess Di singing 'Heaven knows one's Miserable now'.
She was wafting around all these daffodills etc and I recall the lyrics were
'One was looking for a Prince and then one found a Prince, and heaven knows one's miserable now.'
I think they did a Johnny Marr puppet, a big mop top on his head but cant remember if Andy and Mike were to life or not.
Morrissey was not in the sketch. I've never seen it repeated.

The Goat

Back
Top Bottom