"World Peace..." review by Marc Hogan - Pitchfork

The_Hound_Rains_of_Castamere.jpg

"the album's priceless album cover"...

That's some top notch shit right there, man.

I love the nearly ubiquitous hate for I'm Not a Man, which with each listen I'm convinced is the best song on the album, in all its 7minutesplus-glory.

Last edited by a moderator:
A point too generous, but a great review. Good to see some balance against the tsunami of critics who clearly just had it onin the background whole doing something more interesting.

I love the nearly ubiquitous hate for I'm Not a Man, which with each listen I'm convinced is the best song on the album, in all its 7plusminutes-glory.

It's the classic track of the album, I think.

A point too generous, but a great review. Good to see some balance against the tsunami of critics who clearly just had it onin the background whole doing something more interesting.

Alternately, they liked it. As many do. It seems to pain you that the reaction has been so overwhelmingly positive, more so than any release in the internet era. Almost as if you have created a profile on a singer's unofficial website just to troll an album you don't like. Seems like a strange sort who would do that to me. I'd rather post on things I did like. I hate 99.9% of acts in the charts. Hence I don't post about them. Anywhere.

It's the classic track of the album, I think.

Alternately, they liked it. As many do. It seems to pain you that the reaction has been so overwhelmingly positive, more so than any release in the internet era. Almost as if you have created a profile on a singer's unofficial website just to troll an album you don't like. Seems like a strange sort who would do that to me. I'd rather post on things I did like. I hate 99.9% of acts in the charts. Hence I don't post about them. Anywhere.

Here's an idea - instead of trying to pounce on everything I write and put me down as a troll, consider the possibility I might love everything The Smiths did and most of what Morrissey did up until a certain point of his solo career, and that my posting those thoughts here might therefore be just as valid as yours. If the scope of this is lost on you at present, perhaps stop for a second, step back and be mindful of the whole picture rather than just your own brushstrokes.

When critics are divided, the artist is in accord with himself, to paraphrase Wilde.

Moz didn't play it very safe this time, yet all Pitchfork can think to say about something like Smiler with Knife is that it glorifies ruffians.

The gap between the negativity spouted against this album and the joy I feel while listening to it could not be wider.

Here's an idea - instead of trying to pounce on everything I write and put me down as a troll, consider the possibility I might love everything The Smiths did and most of what Morrissey did up until a certain point of his solo career, and that my posting those thoughts here might therefore be just as valid as yours. If the scope of this is lost on you at present, perhaps stop for a second, step back and be mindful of the whole picture rather than just your own brushstrokes.

Here's an idea - my views are as valid as yours. Yes, your views (although tiresomely repeated and in the minority are valid) Try not to be so aggressive just because somebody disagrees with you. (I've been a fan since 1984 so I am very mindful of the whole picture.) I don't pounce and I won't engage with you about the album again - life's too short - although I am perfectly entitled to post where and when I want to. You are an intelligent person, but some of your posts do seem designed to provoke a response. So you shouldn't really complain when someone responds. Anyway, I'll look out for your future posts and see if there isn't something we can't agree about...

Your behaviour is puzzling to say the least. You admit that from a certain point you can no longer like or enjoy songs from Morrissey. You made about 70 posts (practically the sum of postings of your profile) just to knock down Moz's recent material. I do not see what the purpose of your writing is. As others pointed out, you reviewed WPINOYB, explaining extensively what bothers you about it. Fine, but you repeat yourself in a loop. Again, what is your purpose? You know, Moz won't suddenly shelve out this album regardless of who may dislike it. Do you expect him to crawl up in an attic and die just because you cannot take any enjoyment from his writing?!

'Rubber Ring' was written especially for people like you. Cherish the songs you love and move on. Let go. The era of Viva Hate/ The Smiths had ended. The one who's too blind to see the whole picture is you: Moz writes about issues which interest HIM, writing in a manner which HE finds effective nowadays. He won't change his writing style back to Smiths style just to make some people happy. He does whatever HE likes.

Get it in your head dear, he doesn't owe you anything. Now re-read the line in italics 100 times, so you can finally comprehend how ridiculous you've become since the day you decided to share your 'pearls of wisdom'.

Your behaviour is puzzling to say the least. You admit that from a certain point you can no longer like or enjoy songs from Morrissey. You made about 70 posts (practically the sum of postings of your profile) just to knock down Moz's recent material. I do not see what the purpose of your writing is. As others pointed out, you reviewed WPINOYB, explaining extensively what bothers you about it. Fine, but you repeat yourself in a loop. Again, what is your purpose? You know, Moz won't suddenly shelve out this album regardless of who may dislike it. Do you expect him to crawl up in an attic and die just because you cannot take any enjoyment from his writing?!

'Rubber Ring' was written especially for people like you. Cherish the songs you love and move on. Let go. The era of Viva Hate/ The Smiths had ended. The one who's too blind to see the whole picture is you: Moz writes about issues which interest HIM, writing in a manner which HE finds effective nowadays. He won't change his writing style back to Smiths style just to make some people happy. He does whatever HE likes.

Get it in your head dear, he doesn't owe you anything. Now re-read the line in italics 100 times, so you can finally comprehend how ridiculous you've become since the day you decided to share your 'pearls of wisdom'.

And yet you either haven't signed up to this forum yourself or haven't bothered to log in.

Why do I continue to bash the album so? Because I actively dislike it and wish it wasn't the case. I guess this forum is a form of therapy. And you wouldn't begrudge me that now, would you?

P.s. Using capitals like HIM and HE makes it seem like you view Morrissey as God. Italics is fine.

Last edited:
When critics are divided, the artist is in accord with himself, to paraphrase Wilde.

Moz didn't play it very safe this time, yet all Pitchfork can think to say about something like Smiler with Knife is that it glorifies ruffians.

The gap between the negativity spouted against this album and the joy I feel while listening to it could not be wider.

Morrissey glorifies ruffians and in other news the sky is blue... more later on the colour of grass.

And yet you either haven't signed up to this forum yourself or haven't bothered to log in.

Why should I sign up? It's irrelevant. Amazing, you've only joined in July yet now you demand people to sign up in order to comment on a forum?! I'm sure the name 'Agharta' means squat to everybody else. The only positive aspect of you acquiring a profile is the ability of people to recognize the bile on the forum is spewed by one person.

Why do I continue to bash the album so? Because I actively dislike it and wish it wasn't the case. I guess this forum is a form of therapy. And you wouldn't begrudge me that now, would you?

So basically you mourn the fact you dislike the album? Are you 12?! If you didn't like the albums made in the last decade, why were you under the illusion you'd like the new one?! And no, I must correct you; the creation of the forum wasn't intended as a means of therapy. It's intended for creating discussion and thought sharing. If you need therapy, please seek a psychologist to help you overcome the 'mourning phase'.

P.s. Using capitals like HIM and HE makes it seem like you view Morrissey as God. Italics is fine.
I've written in capital letters so you could get it in your head: Moz writes for himself. If someone has perceived Moz as God, it's been you, throwing your anguish and suffering on the shoulders of a pop singer, no less.

The name Agharta sure means a lot to a whole bunch of people. Google is your friend.

No, I'm not 12, but age is no barrier to disappointment, as I'm sure we can all attest. The therapy line was tongue in cheek, albeit a semi-truth. If you don't in some way find posting here therapeutic, why do it? You seem to be confusing professional therapy services with the more general sense of the word.

No, of course Morrissey writes for himself, but don't be blinkered here - he has put that writing and his singing of the said on a collection of songs that has been marketed and sold around the world. Its not like he's burning the stuff once he's committed it to paper. He's an egoist on a grand scale and he craves approval. That much I would have thought self-evident.

Last edited:
Saying it 4 times doesn't make it more impactful.

Oh, the irony! But recycling your diatribe 70+ times is much more convincing, right?

The name Agharta sure means a lot to a whole bunch of people. Google is your friend.

You seem to suffer from reading comprehension problems. 'Agharta' means nada to people in regard to your postings. Your sense of entitlement is astounding. Do you really believe choosing the name 'Agharta' automatically helps your credibility as opposed to one choosing a trivial name? Your arguments are sinking rapidly like a speed boat in a maelstrom.

No, I'm not 12, but age is no barrier to disappointment, as I'm sure we can all attest.
Of course there's no age barrier to disappointment. However, whining endlessly due to a supposedly bad album isn't a behaviour expected of a person who hit puberty a few decades ago.

The therapy line was tongue in cheek, albeit a semi-truth. If you don't in some way find posting here therapeutic, why do it? You seem to be confusing professional therapy services with the more general sense of the word.

Tongue in cheek? Your 70+ posts are devoid of humour and suffer from disproportionate dramatization.
I come here to discuss the man's work and appreciate his lyrics. You're the one confused with what this site stands for. Therapeutic? Go join a support group where you can lash out against a pop singer who betrayed you, or relax in a spa. Morrissey-Solo is the last place to find solace.

No, of course Morrissey writes for himself, but don't be blinkered here - he has put that writing and his singing of the said on a collection of songs that has been marketed and sold around the world. Its not like he's burning the stuff once he's committed it to paper. He's an egoist on a grand scale and he craves approval. That much I would have thought self-evident.
Ehm, it doesn't contradict what I said. He can write for himself and ask for recognition. Blinkered? Dear, if it's so "self-evident", why do you need therapy for the soul? It's getting rather embarrassing...

Oh, the irony! But recycling your diatribe 70+ times is much more convincing, right?

You seem to suffer from reading comprehension problems. The name 'Agharta' means nada to people in regard to your postings. Your sense of entitlement is astounding. Do you really believe choosing the name 'Agharta' automatically helps your credibility as opposed to one choosing a trivial name? Your arguments are sinking rapidly like a speed boat in a maelstrom.

Of course there is no age barrier to disappointment. However, whining endlessly due to a supposedly bad album isn't a behaviour expected of a person who hit puberty a few decades ago.

Tongue in cheek? Your posts are devoid of humour and suffer from disproportionate dramatization.
I come posting here to discuss the man's work and appreciate his lyrics. You are the one who seem to be confused with what this site stands for. Therapeutic? Go join a support group where you can lash out against a pop singer who betrayed you, or relax in a spa. Morrissey-Solo is the last place to find solace.

Ehm, it doesn't contradict what I said. He can write for himself and ask for recognition. Blinkered? Dear, if it's so "self-evident", why do you need therapy for the soul? It's getting rather embarrassing...

Never mind - you clearly have your knickers in a twist over something, and no amount of rational discussion will help. You're over-reacting like a petulant child to my posts, but hey ho.

Can I ask that you don't call me 'dear' again though? It's rather patronising.

Never mind - you clearly have your knickers in a twist over something, and no amount of rational discussion will help. You're over-reacting like a petulant child to my posts, but hey ho.

Can I ask that you don't call me 'dear' again though? It's rather patronising.

2z9fdpj.jpg

I definitely called this review somewhere on here (too lazy to search) that it would get around the 6 range and someone (Anonymous, I believe) flipped out on me saying that all of the other recent Moz albums got an 8 or above.

Needless to say, I do not agree with the review at all. Number wise I’d give it an 8.5 or higher, honestly. And that’s just including the 12 track album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom