Will "I'm not a man" song appeal to the feminine hipster men?

A

Anonymous

The song "I'm not a man" seems to be made for the modern day feminine hipster men. It also points a finger at the american macho men known as the jocks who seem popular at school. I find it hard to see most men viewing macho men shooting guns and so on being the best representatives of men in general. Me and many other men have not associated ourselves with those sort of men at all through our lives.

Isn't Morrissey just being very insecure on this subject and is he saying that all men should be the same and that we cannot have a world that is occupied by macho men and feminine men in equal measure?

What do you think guys?

I think all types are needed and have been so far or where would we have been by now if not?

How do you define "feminine man"? What does it even mean to be feminine, regardless of gender?

The song "I'm not a man" seems to be made for the modern day feminine hipster men. It also points a finger at the american macho men known as the jocks who seem popular at school. I find it hard to see most men viewing macho men shooting guns and so on being the best representatives of men in general. Me and many other men have not associated ourselves with those sort of men at all through our lives.

Isn't Morrissey just being very insecure on this subject and is he saying that all men should be the same and that we cannot have a world that is occupied by macho men and feminine men in equal measure?

What do you think guys?

I think all types are needed and have been so far or where would we have been by now if not?

Less troll-y than I imagined, but none the less troll-ish. Even the title of your post is loaded.
From the point of view of somebody in the UK, I think (from seeing the lyrics and not having heard the song) a song like this is well timed. The UnayLAD and the 'brah' boys have come into full swing since the start of this decade and the battle to beat 'lad culture' is failing. A whey protein craze fills the air and many now think it to be normal to make 'massive gains' and watch late night Made in Chelsea. As ever, Morrissey doesn't want to let a bastardised view of masculinity rule and I can't wait to here the song on Monday.

Morrissey in general appeals to hipsters. It's amazing- at the show I went to on this tour a good amount of the audience was very hip people in their teens/twenties. I don't know of many 55-year old singers who bring in that type of audience.

or "hipster", for that matter?

Full 1890s beard, short back n sides with bryl creamed quiff or fringe, coloured jeans that only reach halfway down your calves, no socks, old man leather shoes, too many tattoos, short sleeved button shirt with rolled up sleeves, braces, bow tie, brightly coloured glasses or wayfarers, scarf when it's not cold enough, little straw hat optional... They preserve their own pickles and brew their own beer. Basically they want to look like urban lumberjacks but not hurt trees.

They are everywhere and they look f***ing ridiculous! As if that needing pointing out :)

ie: Bearded ladies

btw I don't actually agree with your appraisal of the song. Mozzer couldn't care less about stylish, so called feminine hipster dudes. He is talking about himself and only himself! No one else matters here....

image-12-480x360.jpg

moda-barba-fashion-beard-hipster-indie-look-estilo-style-modaddiction-johnny-harrington-hombre-man-menswear-trends-tendencias-chic-elegante-casual-elegancia-1.jpg

Fn-Hipsters.jpg

Last edited:

What do you think guys?

If the only way you can conjure an anathemic concept of the typical boorish, pigheaded, macho male is to think of some lilting, limpwristed polar opposite...then I'd say you're really missing the point of the song. He's not holding up one stereotype in combat with another.

I think this song is the spiritual counterpart to this:

I'm being ironic, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares. It is NOT a very good song.

tumblr_n86nuqBlIM1rkuidwo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom