Who would you like to see produce the next album?

Who would you like to see produce the next album?

• Tony Visconti

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Steve Lillywhite

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Stephen Street

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Johnny Marr

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • other

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Just voted Steve Lillywhite but, as I said in a previous post, Stephen Street would be brilliant too.
Cheers Moz

What next album? There isn't going to be one. His last album sold a fraction of Quarry despite lots of quite positive reviews. He may have sell out tours, but so do Go West and Tony Hadley on those touring 80s things. And most of his UK shows were in tiny venues. Which is good for us as fans, but likely isn't too impressive to record companies.
He sells out bigger venues outside Europe because he plays there less often. And Johnny Foreigner will listen to any old shite.

He f***ed up some of his high-profile festival performances in recent years by insisting on sticking with the "rock" sound. People want to hear the classics as they remember them, not re-imagined by some cack-handed rock guitarist. I'm sure Boz could play most Smiths and classic Moz songs the way they sound on the records, why he isn't lead guitarist is beyond me. He has also made some very poor single choices. SISMS should have been the lead single from Refusal. That was obvious to everyone but Morrissey at the time. And the plethora of re-releases and compilations has created some ill will. And most of the new stuff is shit. And he has to go to court later this year to prove he isn't racist. That's not normal, and no record company in their right mind will sign him with that looming on the horizon.

Not looking too good for old Mozzer. Oh, and the autobiography will never come out, mark my words.

Last edited:
What next album? There isn't going to be one. His last album sold a fraction of Quarry despite lots of quite positive reviews. He may have sell out tours, but so do Go West and Tony Hadley on those touring 80s things. And most of his UK shows were in tiny venues. Which is good for us as fans, but likely isn't too impressive to record companies.
He sells out bigger venues outside Europe because he plays there less often. And Johnny Foreigner will listen to any old shite.

He f***ed up some of his high-profile festival performances in recent years by insisting on sticking with the "rock" sound. People want to hear the classics as they remember them, not re-imagined by some cack-handed rock guitarist. I'm sure Boz could play most Smiths and classic Moz songs the way they sound on the records, why he isn't lead guitarist is beyond me. He has also made some very poor single choices. SISMS should have been the lead single from Refusal. That was obvious to everyone but Morrissey at the time. And the plethora of re-releases and compilations has created some ill will. And most of the new stuff is shit. And he has to go to court later this year to prove he isn't racist. That's not normal, and no record company in their right mind will sign him with that looming on the horizon.

Not looking too good for old Mozzer. Oh, and the autobiography will never come out, mark my words.

What if he wins the NME case? Do you think a label will sign him on the back of the publicity it creates? Particularly if the album release is timed to coincide with the autobiography... I don't think it's too unlikely.

What if he wins the NME case? Do you think a label will sign him on the back of the publicity it creates? Particularly if the album release is timed to coincide with the autobiography... I don't think it's too unlikely.

Not sure it's really going to create that much publicity... unless he loses. If he wins, it'll be a half-page article in the papers the next day, and forgotten about the day after. He's old, unreliable, inconsistent, gets no radio play, sells records in low numbers and won't settle for a record deal from "small" label because of his ego.. not exactly what major record label executives want, is it? They want to make lots of money from quick, easy-to-produce music sung by cool youngsters to sell to cool youngsters. And they want a steady stream of them.
The autobiography won't come out, either. I doubt he has actually written it, or if he has he'll never settle for a book deal that he finds satisfactory. No big loss anyway, what more is there to know that can't be found in other books and in interviews?

Last edited:
As sure as the sun will rise

there will definitely be at least one more album and the autobiography.

Maybe it's a bit out there, but I'd like to see Gustavo Santaolalla, who produced "My Dearest Love".
This guy is a two-time Academy Award winner, so clearly he knows how to produce top quality work.

Ok, even if not for the whole album, maybe he could just produce "Scandinavia". I bet he could make that one sound cinematic and amazing! I get chills thinking about how really great that song could sound properly produced.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a bit out there, but I'd like to see Gustavo Santaolalla, who produced "My Dearest Love".
This guy is a two-time Academy Award winner, so clearly he know how to produce top quality work.

Ok, even if not for the whole album, maybe he could just produce "Scandinavia". I bet he could make that one sound cinematic and amazing! I get chills thinking about how really great that song could sound properly produced.

Strings! :love:

Stephen Street in a "landslide" I suppose that settles it then doesn't it? :lbf:
oh wait, Moz hates this site and likely this just became even more unlikely to occur :squiffy:

^ hasn't got a clue

Voted Street, but wouldn't mind Nigel Godrich getting his hands on Morrissey. More than anything, though, Morrissey needs a lead guitarist and/or music writer with finesse and not just a bunch of "rocking" noise.

Morrissey needs Street with a new band. Vini probs wouldn't do it. Doubt Bernard Butler would do anything with Morrissey as he's friends with Marr. Rourke wouldn't join either obviously.

Doubt Bernard Butler would do anything with Morrissey as he's friends with Marr.

What difference does that make? You're implying that Marr and Morrissey are arch enemies when they're nothing of the sort. They just don't communicate much these days.
If Butler was best mates with Joyce that would be a different matter.
But I agree with you about Street and the need for a new band (or at least new songwriters).

I know it is near blasphemy, but Rick Rubin has done a phenomenal job with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond - albums which some consider to be among their masterworks. They were unique, idiosynchratic musicians (ummm...like Morrissey?) and master lyricists...and Rubin built the albums around THEIR qualities, rather than his own. I know it's a YouTube track, but listen to the production on this:

Morrissey needs to go into the studio - alone - and do something he's never done before. An acoustic record. Sort of clean the slate and start the next part of his career. It worked for Johnny Thunders with Hurt Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is near blasphemy, but Rick Rubin has done a phenomenal job with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond - albums which some consider to be among their masterworks. They were unique, idiosynchratic musicians (ummm...like Morrissey?) and master lyricists...and Rubin built the albums around THEIR qualities, rather than his own. I know it's a YouTube track, but listen to the production on this:

Morrissey needs to go into the studio - alone - and do something he's never done before. An acoustic record. Sort of clean the slate and start the next part of his career. It worked for Johnny Thunders with Hurt Me.

Not blasphemous at all. Rubin would be an excellent choice for a stripped down album along the lines of 'Vauxhall'. However, it would be a dream if he would have Bernard Butler as a co-writer/producer/guitarist for just one album and allow him the freedom he needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom