Who is writing songs that are better than Morrissey’s today?

butley

Even though Morrissey has, mostly, passed his peak he is still head and shoulders above other current songwriters. I love all of the new album and don’t hear anything as witty or exciting or even melodic.

Well, the greatest songwriter alive is Bob Dylan. Murder Most Foul tops anything Morrissey has ever written.

Also, have a listen to Bob Dylan's albums from the sixties. Leave out Nashville Skyline.

Now, listen to Blood On The Tracks.

It really doesn't.

You could have picked a better Dylan song.

That's the most recent release.

We already had this discussion. And anyway it doesn't really makes sense to ask something if you straight away de facto announce Morrissey is still ahead of everyone.
Personally I think Pet Shop Boys is much more wittier and puts out quality music. Some would cite The National, not my cup of tea. New Order's latest is great (though I leave them to Acton :) ). Doves, the most underrated band of the 00s about to come back. The list can go on.

We already had this discussion. And anyway it doesn't really makes sense to ask something if you straight away de facto announce Morrissey is still ahead of everyone.
Personally I think Pet Shop Boys is much more wittier and puts out quality music. Some would cite The National, not my cup of tea. New Order's latest is great (though I leave them to Acton :) ). Doves, the most underrated band of the 00s about to come back. The list can go on.

I'd put Morrissey above all those you mentioned. However, Dylan is in a realm that Morrissey will never enter.

For artists now in their 60s, I would humbly put Lucinda Williams into the mix. (And I love how her voice has aged, too.)

It's worth remembering that Morrissey is not a songwriter in any meaningful sense. He can't write music and he can't play an instrument. He writes and sings words. By his own admission, he is no musician. So, the quality of his songs is largely influenced by the people who compose and play the music. The idea that he is even a solo act is actually hugely misleading.
Other people from groups who went solo, usually went genuinely solo i.e. started writing all the music and all the words (e.g. Weller, Coxon, McCartney, Brown etc..) The likes of Bowie, Dylan etc. were properly solo all along.

The only artists that came close to Morrissey were The Cheeky Girls, and sadly they haven't released any new material in ages.

Morrissey is still a believer in ways that his peers are no longer

Other people from groups who went solo, usually went genuinely solo i.e. started writing all the music and all the words (e.g. Weller, Coxon, McCartney, Brown etc..) The likes of Bowie, Dylan etc. were properly solo all along.

I believe most of those listed above that went solo already wrote words and music, so that fails as a comparison.

For the sake of not arguing, Morrissey
is no longer in the band The Smiths,
so he is labeled as solo.

Also being a ‘frontman’ he brings the instrumentals together with his vision,
bringing them to new heights or at least pushing them in a direction in a way that only he can, with words,melody, and a voice that is his own, meaning, original.

Morrissey is pretty much incomparable with modern music artists, he is definitely in the great of greats list, Dylan, Mitchell, Bowie, etc. That’s not to say that there isn’t good music out there. No greats in recent times though.

Last edited:
I believe most of those listed above that went solo already wrote words and music, so that fails as a comparison.

bringing them to new heights or at least pushing them in a direction in a way that only he can, with words,melody, and a voice that is his own, meaning, original.

Morrissey is pretty much incomparable. That’s not to say that there isn’t good music out there. No greats in recent times though.

Is there a list of "solo" Morrissey writing credits that are Morrissey's alone?

Morrissey is pretty much incomparable with modern music artists, he is definitely in the great of greats list, Dylan, Mitchell, Bowie, etc. That’s not to say that there isn’t good music out there. No greats in recent times though.

You can't put Morrissey up there with Dylan. Even Morrissey wouldn't put himself up there. If you haven't, and it sounds like you haven't, go and listen to all of Dylan's albums that I've mentioned above.

You can't put Morrissey up there with Dylan. Even Morrissey wouldn't put himself up there. If you haven't, and it sounds like you haven't, go and listen to all of Dylan's albums that I've mentioned above.

How do you know that?

Doesn’t matter. Morrissey is up there with the best.

How can something Co - written be entirely his own?

He makes it his own.

When a non fan hears a classic like EverydayILS, they most likely will say ‘this is a Morrissey song’.

And that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Thing is it's subjective to the listener and definitely the era in which the artist and fan are living in. My Mum's ultimate artist is Dylan and mine's is Morrissey so there you have my tuppence worth.

Back
Top Bottom