What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Currently reading my first Norman mailer. I’m like four pages in and I already love his voice. Like a mix of Kerouac and bellow he sounds jazzed and angry. The book is an American dream

this short story from 2016 has it all:
contagious lung disease, face masks, corona (beer), and a poor raccoon...
t.c.boyle - the fugitive
includes a link to the audio (30 mins) read by the author, in case you are one of those wimpy short-of-breath readers.

My mailer novel is changing from the intellectual and emotive voices of bellow and Kerouac and is taking a turn towards the paranoia fever dream of Pynchons inherent vice and I love it

That was a crazy angry book. I feel like it hasn’t left me yet altogether. Had a few great nights while reading where the air got warm and I could crack the windows. Loved it to say the least. Such a suffocating horrible atmosphere

Uhh reading before she met me by Julian Barnes now I guess

found this in a thrift shop years ago and never read it. now i do.
20200407_203354~2_copy_640x1053.jpg

20200407_203517~2_copy_640x993.jpg

enjoy the clarity of thought and language. some of his explanations i find a bit overdone.

Just realized Joyce’s assignation and finches white oleander have the same cover

Sometimes mankind needs a good and proper kung-flu thrashing in order to start thinking about changing its f***ed-up behaviour:

Green corona recovery

If you want germany to support a green deal recovery rescue package and join the other 10 eu member states,
then please sign this petition:

WWF Petition to Angela Merkel

An: Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel und ihre Bundesregierung
Wir Menschen und unsere Zukunft müssen im Mittelpunkt der europäischen und nationalen Rettungspläne stehen. Beweisen Sie jetzt Weitsicht, indem Sie mit den Hilfs- und Konjunkturprogrammen zur Corona-Krise die Pfade hin zu einer resilienten, klimaneutralen, naturverträglichen, nachhaltigen und gerechten Wirtschaftsweise und Gesellschaft stärken.

Und zeigen Sie Stärke, indem Sie sicherstellen, dass alle bestehenden Nachhaltigkeits-Programme national und auf EU-Ebene (z.B. das Klimaschutzprogramm der Bundesregierung und der EU Green Deal) weiter mit voller Kraft vorangetrieben und ergänzt werden, um unsere planetaren Grenzen nicht mehr zu überschreiten und um die Nachhaltigkeitsziele der Vereinten Nationen erreichen zu können.

Die Konjunktur- und Unterstützungsmaßnahmen für Unternehmen müssen systematisch an nachverfolgbare Nachhaltigkeitskriterien, zum Beispiel der entwickelten EU-Taxonomie, geknüpft werden.

Google Translate:

To: Chancellor Angela Merkel and her federal government
We humans and our future must be at the center of European and national bailout plans. Prove your vision now by strengthening the path to a resilient, climate-neutral, environmentally friendly, sustainable and just economy and society with the aid and economic programs for the Corona crisis.

And show your strength by ensuring that all existing sustainability programs at national and EU level (e.g. the climate protection program of the German government and the EU Green Deal) are pushed forward and supplemented with full force so that we no longer cross our planetary borders and to achieve the United Nations' sustainability goals.

The economic and support measures for companies must be systematically linked to traceable sustainability criteria, for example the developed EU taxonomy.

Thank you!

My first oats choice was a splendid one. Almost stabbed my eyes out around page sixty it was so boring, perhaps intentionally so, and then an event occurred and it was great from that moment to conclusion. I’m still digesting it all. It was nice in that it was very direct and open in its prose but subtle and complex with its emotional plotting. I was impressed and will probably read I’ll take you there next when I get around to reading another of her novels

now reading the locals by Jonathan dee which continues his exploration of inequality wealth guilt etc. I can relate to the guilt associated with gentrification that I think this novel revolves around. The idea that you’ve somehow betrayed the spirit of the town you were born to. The takeover of the rural area and changing it into an affluent satellite town

found this in a thrift shop years ago and never read it. now i do.
View attachment 55648
View attachment 55649
enjoy the clarity of thought and language. some of his explanations i find a bit overdone.

It must be terrible to lose the only reason to feel miserable. That's why some people need to go back to it over and over again, at least in their minds. What is a life without a cross on our backs to make it meaningful? Sometimes people choose to be martyrs rather than common. That's why I love common people. They battled their egos and won. They are the true heroes. Like my father ?

Sorry for this digression Lanterns. Those printed words made me think about it.

It must be terrible to lose the only reason to feel miserable. That's why some people need to go back to it over and over again, at least in their minds. What is a life without a cross on our backs to make it meaningful? Sometimes people choose to be martyrs rather than common. That's why I love common people. They battled their egos and won. They are the true heroes. Like my father ?

Sorry for this digression Lanterns. Those printed words made me think about it.
thanks for reading it. i see your point. with regard to baldwin, i think he had at least two crosses to carry, probably even more, and these different "ego-states" of his personality dominated his perception of life in a negative way. not sure if going back to the states was really a choice he had.
now i am curious of course. why is your dad a true hero? not sure, if you want to answer it here though... (personally, i wouldnt... ;-) )
oh, and btw, i couldnt finish reading the book.

thanks for reading it. i see your point. with regard to baldwin, i think he had at least two crosses to carry, probably even more, and these different "ego-states" of his personality dominated his perception of life in a negative way. not sure if going back to the states was really a choice he had.
now i am curious of course. why is your dad a true hero? not sure, if you want to answer it here though... (personally, i wouldnt... ;-) )
oh, and btw, i couldnt finish reading the book.
Well, he was a good father. Good fathers are heroes, especially when they didn't have one.

Re Baldwin crosses, I understand what you said. But his biggest cross was in his mind. Not not even Jesus Christ remained too long next to his cross. He made a statement, flew to another continent and had a life. But how can you escape from your mind?

Last edited:
Well, he was a good father. Good fathers are heroes, especially when they didn't have one.

Re Baldwin crosses, I understand what you said. But his biggest cross was in his mind. Not not even Jesus Christ remained too long next to his cross. He made a statement, flew to another continent and had a life. But how can you escape from your mind?
i guess your father chose a different role model then. good for him - and for you too.

Re Jesus and his crosses, sorry cant comment on that, as i have almost no experience with bible issues and was never forced to occupy my mind with biblical stories for too long. i dont know any women who made a show of their crosses. i think it's a men's thing to shove these inner conflicts under other people's noses constantly. maybe i should do that too to make myself look more importanat, but certainly not here.

Finished reading tender is the night again original version which should be the only version. Probably my favorite of his novels but now I’m slightly depressed so I’ve started Hollywood by gore Vidal a cheery book about America on the eve of entering ww1

Neil Young Times
NYtimes
"NYA thanks you all for watching the Fireside Sessions. We will be keeping this one up so everyone can see it FREE. Tell your friends if you think they would like the sessions. We welcome all visitors to NYA to watch FREE."

Just stumbled across this short story in the LA Review of Books, which some of you might enjoy:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/renegades-maybe/

It's called "renegades, Maybe" by Francisco McCurry and has some Smiths/Morrissey content. First paragraph:

"When Manny was 19, he existed with no goals except to smoke weed, party, get laid, and drop acid. He had a dog paw tatted on his right bicep, and wore green contacts. His hair was short and full of gel, and the Smiths were his favorite band."

(There's more after that - including one character reacting to "How Soon Is Now?" like this: “What are you fools listening to? This shit is gay. Sounds like music my sister plays when she’s on her period.”)

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom