What faith in the music industry?...

Skinner

RIP The Rev
I know I shouldn't be so upset because it's quite typical for such things to occur but, for some reason, I am irate at the results of this year's grammy awards.

I know it is quite silly to think that an artist with some sort of talent or originality would be given the award and recognition they deserve. But for some reason I am just so pissed. Perhaps I got my hopes up way higher than she should have been, but when I saw that Arcade Fire’s Neon Bible was up for Best Alternative Album, I really thought they had a chance. And as much as you don’t want a band like that to become HUGE, it would be nice for them to be at least recognized as this year’s front runner in the “alternative” genre they are placed in.

I actually suffered thru the majority of the ceremony last night, hoping there was a chance they would present the award live on TV. To my knowledge they did not. I had to keep turning it off as to not suffer thru performances by Kid Rock, Alicia Keys and the like.

So I had to read this morning that The White Stripes had actually won the award over Arcade Fire. And although I presumed they would win because for some reason America gives them all the credit in the world, I guess I was just really hoping that the industry would finally give the award to someone original who has not already been shoved down our throats. Its just so depressing that nothing has changed and I doubt it ever will. People don’t open their ears and I guess that’s just asking too much. So even though bands like Arcade Fire have gained huge success in recent years, I guess as far as the critics and industry goes they should still be considered a best kept secret.

Oi!

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't be so upset because it's quite typical for such things to occur but, for some reason, I am irate at the results of this year's grammy awards.

I know it is quite silly to think that an artist with some sort of talent or originality would be given the award and recognition they deserve. But for some reason I am just so pissed. Perhaps I got my hopes up way higher than she should have been, but when I saw that Arcade Fire’s Neon Bible was up for Best Alternative Album, I really thought they had a chance. And as much as you don’t want a band like that to become HUGE, it would be nice for them to be at least recognized as this year’s front runner in the “alternative” genre they are placed in.

I actually suffered thru the majority of the ceremony last night, hoping there was a chance they would present the award live on TV. To my knowledge they did not. I had to keep turning it off as to not suffer thru performances by Kid Rock, Alicia Keys and the like.

So I had to read this morning that The White Stripes had actually won the award over Arcade Fire. And although I presumed they would win because for some reason America gives them all the credit in the world, I guess I was just really hoping that the industry would finally give the award to someone original who has not already been shoved down our throats. Its just so depressing that nothing has changed and I doubt it ever will. People don’t open their ears and I guess that’s just asking too much. So even though bands like Arcade Fire have gained huge success in recent years, I guess as far as the critics and industry goes they should still be considered a best kept secret.

Oi!

HAHA! Looks like a lotta action on this thread. So I figured I'd give ya a bump. ;)
Why would you expect the Grammy's to be fair anyway? I wish they were but honestly, they are as predictable and pointless as any other award show nowadays. It's like the mainstream media has decided what is marketable and what is good and nothing with any style, meaning or originality can breakthrough. Look at Winehouse winning 5 grammys. WTF?!?!?! I'm sure someone here *cough* NRiTH *cough* will disagree with this, but seriously, the chick's drug battles and personal life are more interesting to me that anything she does musically.
Honestly, I feel like the Grammys have degraded to the point that they praise people not on merit, but on what sells to the lowest common denominator because that's what people spend their money on. The Grammys are basically a 'more prestigious' version of the VMAs now... it's like dressing a $5, crack-addicted hooker in a designer dress. She might be dressed in sequins, diamonds and the most stylish gown, but she's still a $5 crackhead hooker.

then again, quality is subjective and i'm sure someone here *cough* me *cough* thinks that arcade fire are a bit boring and overrated. and a bunch of miserable twats.

then again, quality is subjective and i'm sure someone here *cough* me *cough* thinks that arcade fire are a bit boring and overrated. and a bunch of miserable twats.

And Meg White's an ugly whore. Where are we going with this? :p:D

HAHA! Looks like a lotta action on this thread. So I figured I'd give ya a bump. ;)
Why would you expect the Grammy's to be fair anyway? I wish they were but honestly, they are as predictable and pointless as any other award show nowadays. It's like the mainstream media has decided what is marketable and what is good and nothing with any style, meaning or originality can breakthrough. Look at Winehouse winning 5 grammys. WTF?!?!?! I'm sure someone here *cough* NRiTH *cough* will disagree with this, but seriously, the chick's drug battles and personal life are more interesting to me that anything she does musically.
Honestly, I feel like the Grammys have degraded to the point that they praise people not on merit, but on what sells to the lowest common denominator because that's what people spend their money on. The Grammys are basically a 'more prestigious' version of the VMAs now... it's like dressing a $5, crack-addicted hooker in a designer dress. She might be dressed in sequins, diamonds and the most stylish gown, but she's still a $5 crackhead hooker.

Yes I agree. You can dress up a crack whore all you want but she's still disgusting and probably full of disease. I guess the same can be said for the state of music in the states today. So sad. No wonder people like shit music. It's rammed down our throats and applauded for doing so.

I guess it is a waste of time to care.

And I guess the whole point I was trying to make with the whole Arcade Fire issue was, that I was shocked they were nominated in the first place. I'm sure tons of people think they are over rated and boring. Obviously that's the case. But I think the fact that they were even nominated kind of gave me some (false) hope that the music industry wasn't totally f***ed afterall. So much for that notion.

Yes I agree. You can dress up a crack whore all you want but she's still disgusting and probably full of disease. I guess the same can be said for the state of music in the states today. So sad. No wonder people like shit music. It's rammed down our throats and applauded for doing so.

I guess it is a waste of time to care.

And I guess the whole point I was trying to make with the whole Arcade Fire issue was, that I was shocked they were nominated in the first place. I'm sure tons of people think they are over rated and boring. Obviously that's the case. But I think the fact that they were even nominated kind of gave me some (false) hope that the music industry wasn't totally f***ed afterall. So much for that notion.

Well, I wouldn't say the solution is not to care. Just not to care so much about what the critics, music industry, etc have to say. Just be happy that there are choices out there for people who don't enjoy the mainstream, prepackaged crap that is marketed to the masses. If bands exist and you enjoy them, who cares if they get wider recognition...at least you managed to discover them....and besides, looking at the history of alot of great bands who put out amazing stuff and then once they blew up, sold out and turned themselves into a mainstream attraction, I'm actually thankful that alot of my favorite bands never really 'made it big'. :)

The music industry lost me a long, long time ago. I'm sure it was always a big scheme to promote the latest and greatest and build hype and buzz. But I lost patience with it back when they shoved Nirvana and Co. down our throats. I still listen to things, and find new people to listen to, but I don't follow what's new or popular in any sense of the word.

Awards ceremonies are just another form of marketing hype.

I was watching The Grammys earlier, well it was on the background and it anoyed me how fake the whole thing was and how far from reality it is. I don't know why i am suprised most awards are like that. I was watching th BAFTAs last night- purely to see if "Control" got the praise it desevred and i felt the same but to a lesser extent. Poeple dont really have a choice in want they like anymore, we are basically told what to like nowadays. :(

Oi!

Skinner, I hate to offer the obvious cynical reply, but the fact is the Grammys mean nothing. Like you, I'm a softie at heart for the big, shiny trophies they hand out at these galas and I can't help feeling happy when a favored artist of mine wins a Grammy, Emmy, Oscar, or some other award. Still, they're meaningless.

That said, there are a lot of decent music critics out there, and rest assured Arcade Fire have been getting their due. When the history books are written the praise they'll get will more than make up for the lack of hardware on their bookshelves. Take heart knowing this, too: the members of Arcade Fire probably didn't care one iota about winning the award.

The music industry lost me a long, long time ago. I'm sure it was always a big scheme to promote the latest and greatest and build hype and buzz. But I lost patience with it back when they shoved Nirvana and Co. down our throats. I still listen to things, and find new people to listen to, but I don't follow what's new or popular in any sense of the word.

Awards ceremonies are just another form of marketing hype.

Agree with your sentiments but if I may take issue with one minor point: they didn't shove Nirvana down our throats. They shoved the countless rip-offs down our throats. I don't like Nirvana but I don't think they were record company puppets, either. Whatever else you can say about "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the rest, I think the public's affection for Nirvana was a real phenomenon.

There is no faith from me for the music industry. I will admit that I like The White Stripes, but the last few albums have left me wondering what happened to their original sound? I've read reviews and interviews from their early days and they were really cool. Jack White would re-upholster people's chairs when he'd play shows close to people he knew. Now it's more of a process instead of just playing whatever however they wanted.

Some people say that kind of thing now about Arcade Fire. Well, I've met a a few members, and they deserve whatever success they get. They recorded Funeral in the floor above a car shop at nights because during the day there was too much noise. There are faint sounds in the album of trains in the background from when they went by while they were recording.

Skinner, I hate to offer the obvious cynical reply, but the fact is the Grammys mean nothing. Like you, I'm a softie at heart for the big, shiny trophies they hand out at these galas and I can't help feeling happy when a favored artist of mine wins a Grammy, Emmy, Oscar, or some other award. Still, they're meaningless.

That said, there are a lot of decent music critics out there, and rest assured Arcade Fire have been getting their due. When the history books are written the praise they'll get will more than make up for the lack of hardware on their bookshelves. Take heart knowing this, too: the members of Arcade Fire probably didn't care one iota about winning the award.

I realize that the band members themselves probably did not get their hopes up or give a toss if they won or lost. My anger just came as an end result of another predictable disapointment at the state of popular culture today. I don't really care about the award itself or what it means. I really just wanted a band that was the "underdog" so to speak, to "stick it to the man" and win what they deserved. Then 80% of "music fans" out there could say, "Arcade who?". It would have been a laugh anyway. Just sayin...

Oi!

1st off : wtf? a thread about music? what do you think this is? lolz
2 i didnt watch it but i do like arcade fire, i heard them at the mall of all places and i was digging it
3 i heard beyonces ass was huge in green shorts and tina turner will never die
4 i hate kanye so much but i LOVE his album
5 why do you watch the friggin grammys! it always pisses me off i stopped watching in 2000!
6 i think white stripes are very lackluster. original, but boring. like plain milk of magnesia.

Back
Top Bottom