Re: How is Mozza short for Morrissey?

It's a British tabloid thing.
They are lazy journalists who always shorten names for their headlines
Paul Gascoigne becomes 'Gazza'
Alex Ferguson - 'Fergie'
Graham Souness - 'Souey'

Or their surname gets a 'Y' at the end

City had a few great young players a while back
David White became 'Whitey', Ian Brightwell 'Brighty', Paul Lake 'Lakey' whilst Steve Redmond became 'Reddo'

So Morrissey's name has followed suit and become El Moz, Mozzer etc etc

Jukebox Jury

I always thought it came about like this: Morrissey >> Moz >> Mozzer >> Mozza.

"Moz" is that typical nickname form ending with a Z.

"Moz" is then nicknamed "Mozzer" ("-er" is a usual final syllable for nicknames), which has an affectionate and playful tone to it, I think.

Finally, the last step from "Mozzer" to "Mozza" probably stems from the British accents' (and many other accents') drop of the final R. So, I think "Mozza" is a slightly phonetic way of spelling "Mozzer".

But why on earth are Moz and Mozzer so often preceded by an article "the"??? The king, the cat, THE MOZ etc. Is it to imply that he is the only one of his kind, that he is THE Moz or what?

It was orginally an NME joke.

They were saying that since Morrissey was in their pages so often it was getting tedious to write out his entire name so they said from now on they were going to call him Mozzer. I think it was in the T-zers section and was never meant to actually stick.

From there it got shortened to Moz and some people changed it to Mozza.

Around 1990 someone called him Moz in an interview (FACE I believe) and he said, "Please don't call me that, it makes me sound like a race horse."

But as the fake MOZ tatooo on Jake, the Mozalini football T, the ROTT concert T that says Il Mozzalini show.. he's accepting of it.

Also, in Ray Gun magazine in 91 or 92 Boz was interviewed and they asked what the band calls him and he said.. Moz or the Geezer among a few names listed.

things were alot more safer when I was a kid!
:D

On the subject of schools failing...I think that you'll find that the correct way to word your above phrase is either..."a lot more safe" or a "a lot safer".

(Maybe i should be posting on that other thread: 'how to kill a thread", or something like that...)

Please don't let me put you off posting again, though - I mean well, honest!

Back
Top Bottom