What do you think?

M

Murdoch

What do you think has happened to Morrissey? I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are.

> What do you think has happened to Morrissey? I'm curious what everyone's
> thoughts are.

i maladjusted was a bookend because it finished with the b-side "now i am a was" and even so, after his label fell apart, he probably saw the offers that were coming to him after it compared to what he did get to sign with mercury were an insult. so, he did his goodbye tour, playing is favorites. he's probably actually in retirement right now. he doesn't want to tell anyone that, because he likes nobody asking why he's retiring, he doesn't want the press to know he's slipping out the back door, he likes the outpouring of his fans, and he also is afraid his current associates will feel like it's OK to now talk to the press now and write books as they would no longer be working for him, and the only way he feels like he can keep it running smoothly is lying and saying he's looking for a deal.

unique theory.

but would he really be able to pull off (& live) such an elaborate lie... especially with people who are so close to him? (e.g. the band)

or is anyone really close to him?

> unique theory.

> but would he really be able to pull off (& live) such an elaborate
> lie... especially with people who are so close to him? (e.g. the band)

> or is anyone really close to him?

what's been established.

1. labels want to find him, but they don't have his phone number.
1 1/2. when they find him, he wants too much money.
2. Magazines want to talk to him, but he hides.
2 1/2. he was asked to appear on TV, but suddenly the very same songs that he made an entire tour of a couple of years ago and got Rhino to compile and hock are suddenly too passe to be played live for a studio audience.

"I don't want to play on TV unless i have some new stuff"
"when will we record so you can play on TV?"
"gee, you know, i'm having such a hard time finding a label...times are tough and they want brocolli spears....but i'm really busy trying to find one because i do want to play live again. i just want new material. and i need a deal first otherwise i can't record anything"

that certainly sounds like a snake chasing its tail, doesn't it?

But i suppose you don't have unemployed friends.

"I can't find a job!"
"why don't you try looking at the Temp service?"
"i'm still waiting for the place i used to work to call me back!"
"did you take in an application?"
"yes! 3 weeks ago!"
"why don't you call them?"
"well, they said when I quit last time they would love to hire me back in the future."

Re: What do you think? I'll be (more) hated for this one...

> What do you think has happened to Morrissey? I'm curious what everyone's
> thoughts are.

I think he's waiting for Johnny Marr to return to him as a co-writer... I think the music of the Smiths was the best compliment to Morrissey's lyrics...

Re: What do you think? I'll be (more) hated for this one...

> I think he's waiting for Johnny Marr to return to him as a co-writer... I
> think the music of the Smiths was the best compliment to Morrissey's
> lyrics...

and i would also like the easter bunny to sprout wings and fly like a unicorn and pull santa's sleigh!

and if i wish very very hard, i know it will happen this time around.

If you play they will come...

As a camp singer once said "You gotta' have Faith". Have you never seen that film 'Field of Dreams'?

speaking of films...

That dream's about as believable as 'Forrest Gump'.

> As a camp singer once said "You gotta' have Faith". Have you
> never seen that film 'Field of Dreams'?

I'm with Suzanne.

New songs have apparently been written. But no new songs were aired on the "Oye Esteban" tour. Bands who have new material usually premiere at least a few songs. (When I saw Coldplay a few months ago, more than half their set was stuff from their forthcoming album.)

With the lastMoz tour, there was no "here's one from our new album" or anything. Just a straight "greatest hits" package.

In my opinion Morrissey has retired. But he wants to be mysterious. he spent his teenage years studying pop history, and doesn't want to fade away with diminishing album sales. he wants to disappear like Sallinger ... "the great unreleased album" always being threatened but never released. The longer he leaves it, the more mysterious he becomes. An aging rock star in isolation in the Hollywood Hills. Like Jobriath living in a glass pyramid on top of the Chelsea Hotel.

I'd be more than happy if this theory of mine is proved wrong. But I think anyone who is hanging out for a new should find a new band to fall in love with. (And may I suggest Belle & Sebastian, Hefner or Spearmint.)

StH

Re: If you play they will come...

> As a camp singer once said "You gotta' have Faith". Have you
> never seen that film 'Field of Dreams'?

hey. that's good. yeah, maybe i can chop down all the trees in my yard and build a music venue, and then, one morning, as i'm leaving for work, i will be astounded and go running as I hear the twinkle of a fender echoing from inside and a soft croon echoing from the walls. fans will come near and far to the yard as all come together and live the dream realized by a woman who believed enough in herself and the goodness of the world around her to make the impossible happen.

Here's what I think

> (And may I suggest Belle & Sebastian, Hefner or Spearmint.)

No!

Re: It reminds me Greta Garbo

If he really was interested on making a new album, I guess he had lots of chances during the past years, so I also believe he's not going to give us another new album. When he has been to Brasil, he was afraid that NO ONE would come to see him, but we were there, lots of old Smith fans, and new as well. He knows he can't count with his popularity anymore, and seems that he doesn't care, his image is vanished of the pop music scene. Who would buy a new Moz album nowadays? people like "wupermacki"? Possibly his legion of old fans and some young people who was clever enough to discover The Smiths by accident in their local record store.

Well- me and a few of my friends would definately come; and if you need any help with the joinery- let me know- I'm good at nailing.

If had a hammer...........Id hammer in the morn'

Remember that song 'If I had a hammer' It sounds alot like 'Satan Rejected My Soul'

> Well- me and a few of my friends would definately come; and if you need
> any help with the joinery- let me know- I'm good at nailing.

maybe if we say his name 3 times and clap our hands, he will turn into a magic caterpillar and spin a coccoon of gold and after the long winter snow, emerge next spring in Candyland and sip from flowers with nectar of hot chocolate.

only the best for morrissey!

> maybe if we say his name 3 times and clap our hands, he will turn into a
> magic caterpillar and spin a coccoon of gold and after the long winter
> snow, emerge next spring in Candyland and sip from flowers with nectar of
> hot chocolate.

Please tell me that Johnny Marr is in the next coccoon over... ?

> only the best for morrissey!

it won't hurt

> Please tell me that Johnny Marr is in the next coccoon over... ?

someone had once said not too long ago that Andy was running around with their numbers in his cell phone and was saying it was happening....

but this person also had come up with some pretty well unfounded rumors....proven very wrong in very public ways.

Back
Top Bottom