'This Charming Man' video upgraded into HD for the first time

Another old Smiths video upgraded, as posted on the official Facebook page. Total speculation, but I wonder if we might get a 'Complete Picture' reissue on blu ray at some point?

Comparison video here:

Full video here:

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, nobody gives a f***.

The times they are a-changin'.

Morrissey is about to be left in the past.

If there was a statue of Morrissey, it would've been toppled by now.

If that is a 1080p High Definition 'upgrade' then í am Freddie Starr's hamster.

At this point, nobody gives a f***.

The times they are a-changin'.

Morrissey is about to be left in the past.

If there was a statue of Morrissey, it would've been toppled by now.
Four sentences.
One relevant and appropriate considering the events of the last few weeks.
Three really rather silly.

Thank you for your considered opinion.

Four sentences.
One relevant and appropriate considering the events of the last few weeks.
Three really rather silly.

Thank you for your considered opinion.

Well trying to upgrade the quality of a video is appropriate. I mean, it most likely was just something to do, little things to do that may keep one sane during these insane times.

What BS. That's nowhere near HD. It's the exact same as my Complete Picture DVD. Maybe a little more blurry in fact. What a joke.

Restoration is possible, but you need access to the original 35mm films, and it is a lot of work.
Pixel by pixel, frame by frame. When you do it correctly you get amazing results.
It would be good to do something like it was done with INXS Live Baby Live.

It still looks like Morrissey’s leftover anal lube is smeared all over the lens.

God knows where the original film elements for this are. Wasn't that shot for 'The Tube' tea-time telly show? Might even have been 16mm. If you had access to those elements, and some cash and time, it could look quite smashing.

í don't know what has been done to this, but it aint good.

God knows where the original film elements for this are. Wasn't that shot for 'The Tube' tea-time telly show? Might even have been 16mm. If you had access to those elements, and some cash and time, it could look quite smashing.

í don't know what has been done to this, but it aint good.

The Passions blurb:
"This Charming Man" [1983]
Two different videos were made for "This Charming Man", both date back to 1983 when the song was first released. The first one was filmed by UK television show The Tube. It shows the band playing the song in an empty room. It can be found on "The Complete Picture". However, the version of the song used for the compilation is not the original one. The original broadcast version used the "London" version and featured Mike Joyce's opening crash. The "Manchester" version of the song was dubbed over the footage for the compilation.
The other video is similar, but still uncompiled. It was used as a promo when WEA re-released "This Charming Man" in 1992. It shows the Smiths playing in a room with the floor littered with flowers and an imitation of the single's cover, with Morrissey gazing at his reflection. It was taken from the Riverside television program (7 November 1983) previously available on "Video Bongo", a compilation tape made available from the NME by mail-order only in 1984.

I have the above Video Bongo version (assuming it hasn't oxidised in to oblivion), so, it will get ripped and shared at some point.

Edit:
Already on YT:

(Forgotten how good the above was).

Looking at the TCM 'upgrade', my YT snooper tells me the highest quality is 1920*1080 at 25fps (3.26Mbit/avc). Audio is 0.14Mbit Opus.
Gut feeling is that they ripped the DVD and replaced a lower quality version.
The effort required to re-transfer from film or video tape hasn't happened for this video?
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
If the Complete Picture ever DID resurface, it would be nice also to have the original TOTP studio soundtracks and not studio versions overdubbed.

as someone who watches a lot of restoration videos on films like jaws and the godfather it is amazing what they can do these days but this is a long way from hd.jaws in 4k is like watching a new film that was made last week and not the the print i watched in 1975.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom