'There is him and there is us'

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
I've spent the last seven days listening to the HMV/Parlophone box set. :yum:
This morning I was catching up on my reading and this popped up ~
"His illustrious career is defined by imperviousness to trend and shaped by an intimate accord with those who view his work. We are collusive within the social contract of art. There is him and there is us. We diverge in intent and converge in affirmation. He is a great British artist. He honours the tenuous and precious procession of life as few others have."
It all seemed to fit, at least today. :)
( a nod, and a wink, to Mr. James Ellroy, apologies to Mr. Ed Ruscha)

"...He honours the tenuous and precious procession of life as few others have."

I think honour is a crucial component of Morrissey's art. In short, he's not f***ing about. He means it. Nobody else could write his songs. Keane could secretly pen Coldplay's next album and vice versa and nobody would notice. It wouldn't matter.

I remember being a little embarrassed by Morrissey's 'leaked' rant concerning (I think) I Just Want to See the Boy Happy and its failure to reach the top of the charts. At the time, I thought he was delusional. I mean, objectively, the song doesn't even begin to approach the greatness of, say, The Last the Famous International Playboys.

But, from Morrissey's perspective, it deserved recognition. Because, when he was writing it and when he was recording it, he absolutely meant it. It came straight from the heart*. He genuinely couldn't fathom its failure. Now, you can call that lack of objectivity if you like, but, however you look at it, it's a genuine conviction; he stands shoulder to shoulder with that song; he honours it.

I don't think it's ego. I don't think he feels personally slighted when a song fails to make an impact. I think he feels for the song.

*Yes, I'm very aware that 'from the heart' is something of a cliché, something you might hear on X-Factor, but bear in mind that Morrissey's heart is a strange construction of muscle, nerves, synapses and dendrites...

I think honour is a crucial component of Morrissey's art. In short, he's not f***ing about. He means it. Nobody else could write his songs. Keane could secretly pen Coldplay's next album and vice versa and nobody would notice. It wouldn't matter.

Couldnt agree more. One of the best statements summing up the appeal for Morrissey's music to me. And also the state of 'standard' music in general. It feels superficial, Morrissey's output, like it or loathe it, is absolutley true (to you :) )

I remember being a little embarrassed by Morrissey's 'leaked' rant concerning (I think) I Just Want to See the Boy Happy and its failure to reach the top of the charts. At the time, I thought he was delusional. I mean, objectively, the song doesn't even begin to approach the greatness of, say, The Last the Famous International Playboys.

I think in hindsight "I Just want to..." is as good as anything he has done. And deserved more recognition. The music is different than anything from Viva hate or Bona Drag - thats what makes it (IMHO) absolutley valid as some of Morrissey's best. Its meatier, and so is Morrissey these days. Its of its time. As is "Last of the Famous International Playboys". I winced at the ranting email, but then I think I probably would have done had it been written about Suedehead, Everday is like sunday or anyother great track.

I agree that ego has little part in it - its about what he feels, not what a producer/record company/Radio playlist/even audience wants.

I have come to the conclusion over the years, that some people are happy plodding, not thinking. And others appreciate great art, whatever format it comes in.

I like to think of myself as someone who thinks about music and doesnt just 'accept' what comes on the Radio as good 'coz they is playing it'.

I think in hindsight "I Just want to..." is as good as anything he has done. And deserved more recognition. The music is different than anything from Viva hate or Bona Drag - thats what makes it (IMHO) absolutley valid as some of Morrissey's best. Its meatier, and so is Morrissey these days.

I've always liked Ringleaders, but a few weeks ago I listened to the whole thing, slumped on the sofa, headphones on and a couple of bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar, and it just blew me away from start to finish. Songs that I'd previously thought were okay, seemed to suddenly explode into life, particularly On the Streets I Ran: I just can't stop listening to it. The production is superb, the lyrics pure Morrissey (and yet somehow different, like everything's tilted slightly) and the melodies, whilst being less obvious than, say, Suedehead are compelling (in an insidious sort of way). I think Ringleaders is Morrissey's most intense record, you can almost feel the sheer effort and frustration that's gone into trying to make the perfect album. There's a real blood, sweat and tears quality to the whole thing.

I've always liked Ringleaders, but a few weeks ago I listened to the whole thing, slumped on the sofa, headphones on and a couple of bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar, and it just blew me away from start to finish. Songs that I'd previously thought were okay, seemed to suddenly explode into life, particularly On the Streets I Ran: I just can't stop listening to it. The production is superb, the lyrics pure Morrissey (and yet somehow different, like everything's tilted slightly) and the melodies, whilst being less obvious than, say, Suedehead are compelling (in an insidious sort of way). I think Ringleaders is Morrissey's most intense record, you can almost feel the sheer effort and frustration that's gone into trying to make the perfect album. There's a real blood, sweat and tears quality to the whole thing.

A1 post.:thumb:

Glad you finally realised it.

After I went to see a live in Manchester in May 2006, I realised ROTT is Morrissey's best album to date.

Last edited:
This morning I was catching up on my reading and this popped up ~
"His illustrious career is defined by imperviousness to trend and shaped by an intimate accord with those who view his work. We are collusive within the social contract of art. There is him and there is us. We diverge in intent and converge in affirmation. He is a great British artist. He honours the tenuous and precious procession of life as few others have."
It all seemed to fit, at least today. :)
( a nod, and a wink, to Mr. James Ellroy, apologies to Mr. Ed Ruscha)
:)

Oh yes, echoes of Morrissey are everywhere (to obsessive fans, anyway).

I had a similar moment when I ran into this quote from one of John Cheever's many admirers :

"The urge to write is sometimes the only way to make sense of the self, and Cheever did it in the face of nearly debilitating fragilities. That for me is the redemption of his work."

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Agreed. I always think I can live without "At Last I am Born" and then I hear the "from difficult child to spectral hand to Claude Brasseur" Line and it draws me back in... As an Album closer it is absolutely marvellous

No one can hold a candle to Morrissey...because he's unrivaled. I could not a group penning Morrissey or Smiths.

That's how I felt when I first heard it. I was surprised when I first heard of fans not liking it. It seemed to me to be one of the most emotionally arresting.

Back
Top Bottom