The North Will Rise Again: Manchester Music City 1978-2008

There was a feature on this in the Manchester Evening News last week (forgot to post it up:o).
The article said that one of the first people Robb interviewed was Morrissey - the first time he has agreed to be interviewed for this kind of publication.

Jukebox Jury

Yay to beat JJ. :D

That reminds me the new issue of 'Mojo' (or 'Uncut' ? I always mix them up) has a large piece on Mott the Hoople, and one of the contributors is Morrissey. A brief contribution recalling his first time seeing them live in '72 I think. It's only a couple of parargraphs, in a separate highlighted box. The piece was by Kriss Needs (major NYD bod) but Moz's bit is described thus ~ 'as told to John Robb'. So I'd assume this new tome is where they borrowed it from. No scanner available but I'm sure someone will at some point. It's only little but quite funny, just like me.

This was mentioned on XFM yesterday morning. Didn't realise that John Robb was writing it though. He is a really nice bloke.

That reminds me the new issue of 'Mojo' (or 'Uncut' ? I always mix them up) has a large piece on Mott the Hoople, and one of the contributors is Morrissey. A brief contribution recalling his first time seeing them live in '72 I think. It's only a couple of parargraphs, in a separate highlighted box. The piece was by Kriss Needs (major NYD bod) but Moz's bit is described thus ~ 'as told to John Robb'. So I'd assume this new tome is where they borrowed it from. No scanner available but I'm sure someone will at some point. It's only little but quite funny, just like me.

1972 Manchester Belle Vue? He definately saw them in 1973 at the Opera House, with Queen supporting. He mentioned this at the gig he did here a few years ago.

Last edited:
1972 Manchester Belle Vue? He definately saw them in 1973 at the Opera House, with Queen supporting. He mentioned this at the gig he did here a few years ago.
Apparently it was Manchester Free Trade Hall in '72, the week after 'All the young dudes' went to Number Three in the charts. Moz went wild down the front...

Apparently it was Manchester Free Trade Hall in '72, the week after 'All the young dudes' went to Number Three in the charts. Moz went wild down the front...

I was a young kid at the time. Although I did perform at the Free Trade Hall in about 1979...

...The Halle Orchestra, Manchester Schools Christmas Carol Performance. I sang my heart out!!

I was a young kid at the time. Although I did perform at the Free Trade Hall in about 1979...

...The Halle Orchestra, Manchester Schools Christmas Carol Performance. I sang my heart out!!

...and Moz went wild down the front ? ;)

Dont tell me! He's been talking about that gig as well?
Life-changing mate. Sent a review to 'Record Mirror' but they wouldn't publish. Southern swine.

Just bought the book. Some great Morrissey stuff in there. Quite a lot of quotes. Funny and stuff I'd never read about before.

John Robb Manchester book/Morrissey interview

John Robb's 'The North Will Rise Again' Manchester book has a some great Morrissey stuff in it. Things I didn't know like him hanging out with A Certain Ratio, meeting Johnny Marr before THAT famous meeting and clears up his involvement in The Nosebleeds and also a genuine warmth for Johnny Marr. there is also some great Johnny Marr stuff. Shoplift it now!

Re: John Robb Manchester book/Morrissey interview

I've been meaning to pick this one up. Not sure if I should order it off or Amazon Uk or wait to see if there is gonna be a US pressing.

Back
Top Bottom