The Horrible Truth About Moz Fans

G

Gravity Grave

I find it pretty humorous that some people who post on this board are under the impression that it is this site that has kept Moz from fading into obscurity, when the truth is that 90% of the moz fans I have met in my life, whether at gigs or otherwise either 1)have never been here or 2)have almost never been here.

These are typically the fans that enjoy Moz in a way that it seems very few of you do. They attend the gigs, have a blast, buy and listen to and enjoy the music. They don't seem to critique and analyze and nit-pick and compare incessantly to the past. They don't expect The Queen is Dead II or Vauxhall II. They don't complain about moz' weight or the grey in his hair. They don't get excited about a picture tin which " hey doesn't his quiff look ALMOST like it did when Your Arsenal was out" or "hey doesn't track 7 on YATQ sound almost like the Smiths?"

I have been listening to the new album for about two months now. I feel like I'm one of the few that finds the immense beauty in it. The twinkling piano on Camden. The piano break in Let me kiss you. The never better vocals on EVERY track. The tentative embrace of Electronics. The vitriol. THAT AMAZING FALSETTO. The fact that Its hard to walk tall.....may be his absolute catchiest song ever? "Well never mind ..." indeed.

See you in Manchester.

You're not the only one who is finds immense beauty in quarry, most of the people here do as well.

> I find it pretty humorous that some people who post on this board are
> under the impression that it is this site that has kept Moz from fading
> into obscurity, when the truth is that 90% of the moz fans I have met in
> my life, whether at gigs or otherwise either 1)have never been here or
> 2)have almost never been here.

> These are typically the fans that enjoy Moz in a way that it seems very
> few of you do. They attend the gigs, have a blast, buy and listen to and
> enjoy the music. They don't seem to critique and analyze and nit-pick and
> compare incessantly to the past. They don't expect The Queen is Dead II or
> Vauxhall II. They don't complain about moz' weight or the grey in his
> hair. They don't get excited about a picture tin which " hey doesn't
> his quiff look ALMOST like it did when Your Arsenal was out" or
> "hey doesn't track 7 on YATQ sound almost like the Smiths?"

> I have been listening to the new album for about two months now. I feel
> like I'm one of the few that finds the immense beauty in it. The twinkling
> piano on Camden. The piano break in Let me kiss you. The never better
> vocals on EVERY track. The tentative embrace of Electronics. The vitriol.
> THAT AMAZING FALSETTO. The fact that Its hard to walk tall.....may be his
> absolute catchiest song ever? "Well never mind ..." indeed.

> See you in Manchester.

that may be true because most people do have lives and don't have time to faithfully read this website...however, where do the journalists run to when they are looking for information for an article or to promote something they've written?

considering how many hits this site has had, i doubt that it's all caused by Moby and BG. what this site does is demonstrate that there are fans who still obsess opposed to the random person who happened to look in the newspaper and see that morrissey is playing a show....and not only that, in spite of the bad press in the 90's and the poor album reviews, they couldn't knock us down. we stayed and gave them the finger, and eventually, they had to relent.

the media does make the story in a sense, and i figure that because of all of the positive attention morrissey has received the past couple of years, the people who either forgot or were too embarassed to admit that they liked morrissey came bursting forth from underneath their rocks.

think about it. why else would Sanctuary produce about 10 different versions of the album and single if they didn't think there was a core audience of die hards that would buy it all?

and it's just a few people who do it...and i assume a lot of those are the same people posting under many names. as i said, this website does have a lot of people with no life and that invariably includes nut cases. what crazy person that you know of has a busy social life?

on the other hand, welcome to humanity.

i've been musing recently at humanity's glowing ability for meanness. even after the whole iraqi jail debacle, and hearing stories about abused animals, i was sitting there last night watching the movie Troy and thinking, "hey, we're so much more creative in inventing ways to kill one another than anything else, aren't we?"

it's so bad that i've gone back to burying my head in the sand. i don't want to read any more michael moore books. just give me kiddie lit. they show WWII documentaries on TV and i want to turn the channel. i'm so tired of seeing death and overconsumption and selfishness.....

well, that's nice of you to listen to the album for 2 months. i've listened to it for 2 days...

but i can say that after such a huge buildup and such astounding reviews in the papers, can you blame people for ultimately feeling the way they do? it's a point of confusion for the masses where they are staring expectantly at this thing and trying to bend their ears and wonder if they are indeed in the presence of greatness.

as for me, i'm not saying anything...and it's not a good or bad sign in any measure....because you are right. i don't want any more accidental missteps or blatant overestimations and misreadings. i want this thing to sink in for what it is and it may never do so.

Thank you, Suzanne, for a wonderful post. I absolutely agree that nobody can blame fans for having a wide variety of responses to YATQ. This is undeniably Morrissey's most hyped album. It's definitely hard to know how to feel in the face of all the hype it's received.

> See you in Manchester.

Well stated. Someone finally had to. I agree with you 100%.
Enjoy the Manchester show.

All real moz fans visit this site regularly, as you yourself do, and as moz himself does

I agree with most of the things you've said but please let's not generalize... A lot of people who come here have lives, me included, and really appreciate Morrissey for what he is. Coming here to read and discuss informative or funny things about my fave artist only takes 10 minutes off my whole day, and I believe this is the same for many other people. I tend to ignore the nutty messages like Moz is going bald or Moz is boiled or Quarry sucks. There also also sane and intelligent people here, you have just to find them.

Too troo

YATQ is a superb album. That's all that really matters.

Back
Top Bottom