The Durutti Column

Irregular Regular

Forget my fate.
I must admit that I am feeling 'that way out' lately, passing the torch as it were.
Certain songs are far too precious, and we should never allow for them be forgotten.

Enjoy!

There was a boy
I almost knew him
A glance exchanged
Made me feel good
Leaving some signs
Now a legend
The dream was wrought
Where thoughts were heard
Love is reserved
From previous times

Like a dead bird in the dirt
Like a rusty can on the ground
I don't believe in stardom
Machinery in action
Full of experts
Full of experts
Same old order
Same old order
Same old order

Watch with obsession
Some accident of beauty
Try to capture
As the light begins to fail
Shapes to compose
Shadows of frailty
The dream is better
Dissolves into softness
But the end
The end is always the same

There was a boy
I almost knew him
A glance exchanged
Made me feel good
Leaving some signs
Now a legend

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love the album Vini Reilly - it sounds like a Viva Hate out takes album - recorded a few weeks after the VH sessions, Morrissey must have been offered some of these songs... just sublime

Dave

Vini is great Dave, a hugely talented musician who never quite got the recognition he clearly deserves.
My favourite album is LC (which stands for Lotta Continua, Italian for Continuous Struggle).
Should we go on a Durutti Column bender? :)

"And when you cry, they're my tears too"

Cheers I.R. and Dave, these songs are truly beautiful. Thanks!
Cheers Moz

I always liked "sketch for summer" I have some of the Factory Tape Boxes kicking around somewhere including LC which is as you say very good. VR once told me that there were bun fights in the Wool Hall during the recording of Viva Hate..............

**Comes back having been to look for tapes** Fact44c "LC" & Fact 164c "Valuable Passages". I recall Vini doing a very good take of "Tomorrow Never Knows" by the Beatles at Atlas by Knott Mill Station..........

Love that Missing Boy....the sounds are just amazing.
Cheers Moz

I always liked "sketch for summer" I have some of the Factory Tape Boxes kicking around somewhere including LC which is as you say very good. VR once told me that there were bun fights in the Wool Hall during the recording of Viva Hate..............

If there were, there would surely be elegant ones
cupcaketier415.jpg

Dave

Vini is an absolute guitar legend....under rated and probably better than Johnny Marr (hard contest...though at least Vini has actually been writing and performing songs throughout his whole career!)

I urge anyone to buy "The Return Of The Durutti Column" or "Best Of" to begin with. I've got tens and tens of Durutti Column albums around.

It would be lovely to see them back together : yes Vini & Moz. Would be just fab!
Cheers Moz

one of my favourite songs by good ole Vini.

Guys, you have to listen to "I B Yours" by Durutti Column. He had a young female vocalist singing on it and there's currently two versions of the song. It's not on youtube, but it's a great little masterpiece :)

Lest we forget the little ditty "For Steven Patrick" written for...well no need to expand?

Lest we forget the little ditty "For Steven Patrick" written for...well no need to expand?

There are plenty of songs Vini just randomly messed around with and really didn't need to appear on any album. That song is most definately one of them!

Is Vini going to tour this year? I may go and see him if he's touring near me.

Thank you ever so much I.R. for making me aware of this GREAT TRACK The Missing Boy. A Gem.
Cheers Moz

Back
Top Bottom