The best songwriter

Gasping Dying

Who is your fav, I must admit Jeff Buckley is up there for me, but my favourite after Moz just has to be Neil Hannon of the Divine Comedy, equally as good a turn of phrase, a brilliant crooner.
His concert in Glasgow a few years back at Cottiers was as good as The Queen is Dead Tour in my opinion.:)

Morrissey is my number one of course.

An interesting one for me is Ed Kowalczyk from the band Live ... 1991 - 2000 he wrote some amazing songs, heartfelt, passionate, angry, beautiful lyrics with some killer tunes ... 2000 - 2008 I find it embarrassing to listen to anything he's written, it's utter dribble, I dont know how one can fall from such heights.

Other great song writers .. the Mael brothers from Sparks (well, Ron mostly for writing). Nick Cave, Gene Ween from Ween and strangely enough I think when you strip back the loud and heavy music of Motorhead, Lemmy has written some really lovely songs, because you can barely understand anything he says it kinda gets lost sometimes.

But I think right after Morrissey for me would be Till Lindemann from Rammstein, I think for people who don't speak German they just hear the music and assume the lyrics must be the same as something from Cannibal Corpse, but his poetry is awesome, very brutal and open but touching too.

But I think right after Morrissey for me would be Till Lindemann from Rammstein, I think for people who don't speak German they just hear the music and assume the lyrics must be the same as something from Cannibal Corpse, but his poetry is awesome, very brutal and open but touching too.

Yes yes yes!! I simply adore Rammstein and Till's lyrics. Some songs are just beautiful, dark stories. Like Stein um Stein (brick by brick): where a man loves his wife/girlfriend so much, that he wants to build her a house. But later in the song it is revealed that she will literally be part of the house's walls. :eek:
Can't wait for their new album and tour! :guitar:

I'm not buying it.

i aint asking you to, but i dont like them they were the Take That of their day.
I like some solo Lennon stuff, I quite like some Harrison's solo stuff but most beatle content especially the earlier poppy stuff and their hippy stuff also makes me cringe.
Thankfully my wife has an equal dislike for them!:D

A wee example of neil Hannon's genius:guitar:

Pale, pubescent beasts
Roam through the streets
And coffee-shops
Their prey gather in herds
Of stiff knee-length skirts
And white ankle-socks
But while they search for a mate
My type masturbate
In bedrooms above
Composing their songs of love

Young, uniform minds
In uniform lines
And uniform ties
Run round
With trousers on fire
And signs of desire
They cannot disguise
While I try to find words
As light as the birds
that circle above
To put in my songs of love

Fate doesnt hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice
So sing while you have time
Let the sun shine down from above
And fill you with songs of love

Fate doesnt hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice
So lets sing while we still can
While the sun hangs high up above
Wonderful songs of love
Beautiful songs of love

Lyrically I think Moz takes the cake obviously but now a days I think Dallas Green aka City and Colour, is amazing. His lyrics are so simple and honest and pure and just brilliant. They make me cry on a regular basis. But then again I'm not right in the head these days.

And musically I think David Byrne is excellent, Ken Andrews, Tom Petty surely knows how to right a hit. There are so many to name.

Who is your fav, I must admit Jeff Buckley is up there for me, but my favourite after Moz just has to be Neil Hannon of the Divine Comedy, equally as good a turn of phrase, a brilliant crooner.
His concert in Glasgow a few years back at Cottiers was as good as The Queen is Dead Tour in my opinion.:)

NH is pretty wonderful and a thoroughly nice chap to boot.

<----------- this guy

Edit: my avatar used to be Pete Townsend. Not that Moz isn't any good ;p

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the Stones and Velvet Underground but I hated the Beatles especially McCartney!

:eek: I'm more of a Lennon fan, but you can't deny Lennon/McCartney wrote great, timeless lyrics! :p As for the Stones/Beatles debate;It's the Beatles for me! I'm with you with the VU though :guitar:

Also, Pete Doherty/Carl Barat aren't bad songwriters

Hannon wrote some great stuff back in the mid/late 90's but I think it's fair to say that he's lost the plot quite badly since then.
National Express, Billy Bird and Mother Dear are all pretty hideous.
But, harking back to happier times, here are the 10 best songs by the TDC:

1. Don't look down
2. Tonight we fly
3. The birds of paradise farm (singing gay songs)
4. The London Irish
5. Festive Road
6. Something in the woodshed
7. Lost property
8. Comme beaucoup de messieurs
9. Do you remember the summer house?
10. A woman of the world

Back
Top Bottom