Suffer Little Children

G

George Formby

So I find myself midway through Ian Brady's book, "The Gates of Janus". Disturbing but intelligent in equal measure.
Predicatably people in the UK tried to ban this book, but its a little hypocritical that the same national papers who try to ban this book (or a certain Smiths B side many years ago)have made millions of pounds themselves by exploiting this sordid story to increase circulation.
Should it be available for people to decide to read or not, or should the victims families have the right to block publication of such material?

(A possibly futlie attempt to have a serious debate on this page - lets hope the spiteful adolescents who used to dominate this place have gone..)

> Should it be available for people to decide to read or not, or should the
> victims families have the right to block publication of such material?

As long as Brady makes no financial gain from this publication I cannot see any reason for it's censorship.

Morrissey himself sung of the glamourisation of Criminals in 'playboys' and you are spot on about the hypocrisy of the tabloid press. Last month I read a whole weeks serialisation of The Fred West Story in the Daily Mirror, the same paper who had previously lobbied to ban the Brady book.

The best example of scaremongering from the British Press must be the Sun's laughable attempts to ban 'Reel Around the Fountain' for it's reference to child abuse- you listen, it's a mystery to me how they managed to reach that conclusion.

> As long as Brady makes no financial gain from this publication I cannot
> see any reason for it's censorship.

> Morrissey himself sung of the glamourisation of Criminals in 'playboys'
> and you are spot on about the hypocrisy of the tabloid press. Last month I
> read a whole weeks serialisation of The Fred West Story in the Daily
> Mirror, the same paper who had previously lobbied to ban the Brady book.

> The best example of scaremongering from the British Press must be the
> Sun's laughable attempts to ban 'Reel Around the Fountain' for it's
> reference to child abuse- you listen, it's a mystery to me how they
> managed to reach that conclusion.

I remember that business with The Sun and 'Reel Around The Fountain', its since been recognized that they deliberately confused the lyrics with 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle', in the 80s The Sun attempted to carry out numerous charachter assasinations on outspoken left wing or controversial musicians at the time. Jimmy Somerville and The Housemartins are two others that spring to mind. Basically I dispise the British tabloid press with a passion, they will be the first to go when I finally get my empire together, they are a cancer on British society, the fact that the countries leaders have to seak some sort of approval from Murdoch is thoroughly sickening. I hope he gets beheaded in car smash.

As for Ian Bradys book, I don't know what the content is like so I can't say, but I agree he should make no financial gain, and the parents of the murdered children should have some sort of say in if it should be free to the public or not, as for the press, bomb the arse of the lot of 'em.

Well - Brady does make some money - but the guys virtually dead anyway - what good can it do him when he's stuck in a mental hospital and has been on hunger strike for a couple of years with the hospital force feeding him agaisnt his will? I think most of the cash will go to his mother.

> I remember that business with The Sun and 'Reel Around The Fountain', its
> since been recognized that they deliberately confused the lyrics with 'The
> Hand That Rocks The Cradle', in the 80s The Sun attempted to carry out
> numerous charachter assasinations on outspoken left wing or controversial
> musicians at the time. Jimmy Somerville and The Housemartins are two
> others that spring to mind. Basically I dispise the British tabloid press
> with a passion, they will be the first to go when I finally get my empire
> together, they are a cancer on British society, the fact that the
> countries leaders have to seak some sort of approval from Murdoch is
> thoroughly sickening. I hope he gets beheaded in car smash.

> As for Ian Bradys book, I don't know what the content is like so I can't
> say, but I agree he should make no financial gain, and the parents of the
> murdered children should have some sort of say in if it should be free to
> the public or not, as for the press, bomb the arse of the lot of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom