Stuart Murdoch on Morrissey - Metro US

Belle and Sebastian’s Stuart Murdoch on empathy, Morrissey, and the future of the band - Metro US

Excerpt:

Naturally, the conversation turns to one of the faces that may be chiseled off of pop music’s Mount Rushmore for championing the downtrodden, Morrissey.

“He’s gone over to the other side of the political and emotional spectrum, which is crazy to me,” says Murdoch, whose music can certainly warrant its fair share of comparisons to The Smiths. “Because there is no other artist who really encapsulated that sense of getting what it was like to fall off the human railroad, in a sense. He managed to say that better than anybody.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guy, good music but you don't got to the likes of Stuart Murdoch to get a political viewpoint of any substance.

The origin of your political viewpoint ....

Cover-image-2.jpg

Belle & Sebastian are a great band, loved their recent gig in Sheffield, and I'm glad Stuart didn't lay into M.

I certainly wouldn't stop listening to them just because Stuart is most likely far left.

If The Smiths had existed in the late 60s, early 70s and was a folk band, they would be Belle & Sebastian.
Wonderful vocal melodies and EXCELLENT MOZ-LIKE LYRICS esp on the first 3 albums. you owe it to yourself to dive into those three albums if you LOVE The Smiths.

Another one of these insulting compliments or are they complimentary insults? At least he's not Billy Bragg. That's got to count for something.

It is certainly nice to see some recognition for what Morrissey once represented to so many people, even if Morrissey doesn't speak to these people anymore today.

Stuart M is a massive Smiths fan, I caught him wearing a Smiths T-shirt at my first Belle & Sebastian gig in 2002, and must admit that t helped opening my heart to their musc.

I once asked Stuart if he was also a fan of Morrissey as a solo artist well before the current saga, but he said NO.

Ran into someone wearing a Smiths shirt at the B&S gig in Boston, said something to the effect of "Well, at least Johnny still likes other human beings" - guy wearing the shirt noted he'd heard that several times already.

Ran into someone wearing a Smiths shirt at the B&S gig in Boston, said something to the effect of "Well, at least Johnny still likes other human beings" - guy wearing the shirt noted he'd heard that several times already.
Why didn't the man in the Smiths t-shirt punch him in the face?

We need a robust cadre of fit young men who will wear the Smiths t-shirt with pride and unerringly stand up for Morrissey's right to opinionate without being labelled a misanthrope.

Why didn't the man in the Smiths t-shirt punch him in the face?

We need a robust cadre of fit young men who will wear the Smiths t-shirt with pride and unerringly stand up for Morrissey's right to opinionate without being labelled a misanthrope.
I would say the Smiths shirt wearer didn't punch him in the face because that would be completely inappropriate. All you need to do is ignore them. Reacting violently would suggest he's a snowflake and can't handle a few childish comments.

Belle & Sebastian are a great band, loved their recent gig in Sheffield, and I'm glad Stuart didn't lay into M.

I certainly wouldn't stop listening to them just because Stuart is most likely far left.

He’s a Scottish Nationalist

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom