Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Phranc was the support act for the Kill Uncle tour.

Excited to see Morrissey for the first time in 91, But was a bit irked when Melissa Ferric replaced Phranc, as if Morrissey wouldn’t think the audience could tell one lesbian folk singer from another!

:swear:lbf:

Excited to see Morrissey for the first time in 91, But was a bit irked when Melissa Ferric replaced Phranc, as if Morrissey wouldn’t think the audience could tell one lesbian folk singer from another!

:swear:lbf:
Iirc Phranc's brother had died and that's why she was temporarily replaced?

I apologise that this is a couple years out of date and was probably mentioned then, but I am too lazy too check.

Just watched the Marvel movie, Ant-Man and the Wasp on Disney+ and was surprised with the morrissey references. This is from an interview with the director, Peyton Reed:

Reed: I’ve been a Smiths fan since the beginning. In fact, I played drums for a brief amount of time in a Smiths cover band called Louder than Bombs. Years ago, we were playing a show at Spaceland in Silverlake and we did our Smith cover band cover and some guy came over after the show was like, “Oh man, you guys were really good. It’s amazing, man, between you and Sweet and Tender Hooligans. It’s so great to have these Smiths cover bands.” I was like, “Wait a second, Sweet and Tender Hooligans, who are they?” He’s like, “Oh, you’ve never seen them?”

So I went and saw Sweet and Tender Hooligans who were a [Latinx] Smith’s cover band. They obviously blew our cover band away, and it was only then that I realized that Morrissey had this really specific following in L.A. because of the style of singing, and then later in his career when he started specifically writing towards it. It’s something that I’ve known for a long time and it just felt like it was so up Luis’ alley, all this sort of arcane knowledge that Luis has, and the idea that maybe his grandmother has a restaurant with a jukebox that only plays Morrissey — it struck as a funny, really specific true-to-life detail that makes Luis, Luis. So that’s really how it ended up there.

The main character, Scott Land also has Everyday is Like Sunday as his phone's ring tone.

20200728_215501.jpg

The final ever edition of Q Magazine came out today.

Entitled: "Adventures With Legends 1986-2020", it has decent Bowie ('96), Prince ('94) and Joni Mitchell ('88) recapped interviews, but absolutely zero mention of Morrissey.
I guess this is more of a non-occurrence post, if anything, as I thought he might have made it in to the final issue.
There's a host of others that they consider highlights over the years and a small piece on Mark E. Smith.

I've bought and enjoyed many, many issues of Q and am saddened seeing music magazines thinning out more and more as each day passes...
Sentimentally yours,
FWD.

View attachment 58156

Entitled: "Adventures With Legends 1986-2020", it has decent Bowie ('96), Prince ('94) and Joni Mitchell ('88) recapped interviews, but absolutely zero mention of Morrissey.
I guess this is more of a non-occurrence post, if anything, as I thought he might have made it in to the final issue.
There's a host of others that they consider highlights over the years and a small piece on Mark E. Smith.

I've bought and enjoyed many, many issues of Q and am saddened seeing music magazines thinning out more and more as each day passes...
Sentimentally yours,
FWD.
I used to really enjoy Q, when it was a fresh young thing back in the late 80s/early 90s. It really did set a new standard for 'grown up' music journalism. Very sad, but almost inevitable in these digital times.

View attachment 58156

Sentimentally yours,
FWD.

Not surprised about zero mentions of Morrissey. Even given his pariah heap status with the Islington NUJ, "Q" were never especially favourable towards Morrissey. There were a couple of classic '90s pieces, mainly due to to the Danny Kelly/Stuart Maconie staffing at the time, when "Q" briefly tried to become the glossy "NME". Since then, it's pretty much shunned him {í don't recall them featuring "Quarry" at all}.

The last few issues í bought, a year or so ago, were astonishingly anaemic, physically and critically. It was a willo' the wisp of what it used to be.

It's shit when anyone loses their job. My brother just got dumped from his after 15 years+ and í don't see twitter tears for him and many like him.

They could always try "The Guardian". Oh wait...

From an event on the 22nd February 2020 at the American Club in Jakarta, Steve Lilywhite tells a funny little story about Morrissey's social & business skills, while recording "Vauxhall & I" (?) at Hook End Manor...

The doubtful dude in question is Rob Kahane, George Michael's manager during his Imperial Phase. Assuming this incident would have been in 1993 Morrissey would have been hunting for new management, and it was prior to signing with Arnold 'frogs legs' Stiefel. George & Mr Kahane would have been prepping for the Sony court case, during which the judge would describe Kahane as being a deeply unreliable witness. In June '94, after the court ruled against him, George Michael dropped Kahane {although apparently this had been agreed well before the high court mess}. Perhaps Rob was on the lookout in '93 for another handsome, troubled, 'private' pop star in case the Sony case went against him. Keeping his options open?

This is Mr Kahane arriving at the high court in October 1993, around the timeline of "Vauxhall & I" recording. Hair's not that bad? ;)

Rob Kahane.jpg

Last edited:
This is Mr Kahane arriving at the high court in October 1993, around the timeline of "Vauxhall & I" recording. Hair's not that bad? ;)

View attachment 58159

Certainly not that bad by normal hair standards but a disaster by 90s Morrissey hair standards.
And don't get me started on the stubble.

Certainly not that bad by normal hair standards but a disaster by 90s Morrissey hair standards.
And don't get me started on the stubble.

Well, we are all train-wrecks by that criterion. {Other than early '90s Bowie?}

And this would have been his High Court barnet, so í'd imagine his Hook End look would've been worse.

í would wager that it was more likely to be the Don Johnson face fluff that had M. rushing for the Dog & Duck.

Trying to think who he reminds me of...

Why, it's Blighty's favourite TV tit...Nick Knowles?

0_Nick-Knowles_Credit-Paul-Poynter-2.jpg

Just got round to reading Salad Daze by Wayne Hussey.
Quite a good read.
A few unexpected Morrissey mentions:

"I don’t know whether Holly harboured a grudge because I turned him down. I’m probably flattering myself to think he even remembered asking me as he seemingly asked every other guitarist in town to join at one point or another, but when The Mission started taking off Holly took to slagging me off in the music press. By then the Frankie star was waning and mine was on the rise and I was an easy target. As Morrissey once sang, we hate it when our friends become successful – and Liverpool was one hell of a bitchy scene. Of course The Mission’s success didn’t remotely compare to the Frankie’s but when you’re on your way down every band on their way up is perceived as a threat and usurper. I know, I experienced it myself a few years later with The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays."

"Ruth is legendary. She was the booker at NY’s Danceteria club, a multi-floor pleasure dome on 21st Street in Manhattan. Working at Hurrah’s in 1980, it was Ruth who had booked the first Joy Division US tour that had to be cancelled a day or two before it was due to start because of Ian Curtis suicide. In the two years or so that she had been working at the Danceteria she had brought New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode and many others as well as TSOM into the country for their first ever US shows. When I first met her there was talk of her managing a new band from Manchester that had supported the Sisters just a few months previously and had just enjoyed a couple of minor UK hits. The Smiths. For some reason it didn’t happen but Morrissey was to dedicate The Smiths single, ‘Shoplifters Of The World Unite’, to Ruth after she was tragically mowed down and killed by a runaway taxi on the steps of the Limelight in NY in September 1986. But that’s more than two years away from where we are in my story so we’ll rewind, shall we?"

"While Morrissey would be busy expounding his Meat Is Murder philosophy less than a year hence we stopped at a drive-through Burger King en route out of the city, tucking into two Whoppers each, a veritable feast on a pittance, two for $2 if memory serves."

"There are some that have absolutely no hope in my book (and this is my book): Jim Kerr, Chris Martin, Bono, Mark King…to name just a few. And then there are those that transcend “to be cool or not to be cool”: Thom Yorke, Nick Cave, Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Mark Hollis, PJ Harvey, Robert Del Naja, Siouxsie, Bjork, ah, you know who they are."

Well worth a read, enjoyable writing style.
Regards,
FWD.

From an event on the 22nd February 2020 at the American Club in Jakarta, Steve Lilywhite tells a funny little story about Morrissey's social & business skills, while recording "Vauxhall & I" (?) at Hook End Manor...

The doubtful dude in question is Rob Kahane, George Michael's manager during his Imperial Phase. Assuming this incident would have been in 1993 Morrissey would have been hunting for new management, and it was prior to signing with Arnold 'frogs legs' Stiefel. George & Mr Kahane would have been prepping for the Sony court case, during which the judge would describe Kahane as being a deeply unreliable witness. In June '94, after the court ruled against him, George Michael dropped Kahane {although apparently this had been agreed well before the high court mess}. Perhaps Rob was on the lookout in '93 for another handsome, troubled, 'private' pop star in case the Sony case went against him. Keeping his options open?

View attachment 58159

Aww - he's a lovely, lovely man & very gentle.

Just a bit daft.

The Smiths, Morrissey and lyrics to There Is Light mentioned halfway through Coronation St tonight in a conversation between Adam Barlow, Sara Platt and Maria the hairdresser.

The Smiths, Morrissey and lyrics to There Is Light mentioned halfway through Coronation St tonight in a conversation between Adam Barlow, Sara Platt and Maria the hairdresser.

Good, bad, neutral or hard to tell?

Good, bad, neutral or hard to tell?
Well it was at a hospital in the aftermath of Gary Windass being knocked down by a car and his girlfriend Maria was saying how it was ironic she'd been singing along to a Smiths song on the radio and when asked what song she replies the one about being killed by a double decker bus. Morrissey gets a mention too. Check it out on catchup.

Well it was at a hospital in the aftermath of Gary Windass being knocked down by a car and his girlfriend Maria was saying how it was ironic she'd been singing along to a Smiths song on the radio and when asked what song she replies the one about being killed by a double decker bus. Morrissey gets a mention too. Check it out on catchup.

Thanks. 🙂

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom