Stephen Wright photos - 29 years ago + Xmas discount

[site sponsor]

Stephen Wright writes:

Its about 29 years ago this week that I shot the Smiths at the Salford Lads club. A really cold winter day and hardly ideal for photos!
Shot with my first Nikon and the "wrong" wide angle lens I processed the film in my bedroom/darkroom. There was no make up artist or hairdresser-it was simple shoot to put it mildly.The club was shut in the day and we all shivered outside it and then shot more image at the end of Coronation street and in the Arndale shopping centre.

A few weeks later Morrissey sent me a thank you postcard – written on Boxing day – something to treasure!

Morrissey_postcard.jpg

Little did I realise that those photos would become quite well known. It was all pretty nerve racking, as I'd shot them live several times and yet had never met them. I was lucky to get this chance and of all the musicians I shot, these are the ones I'm most proud of.

It was another 19 or so years until I went inside the Lads club and found out about it's intriguing history – I'm allowed to make my own cup of tea there now when I visit. I've reshot "that" photo with fans in aid of various charities and the people at the Lads club were just so helpful!

I've just given them one of the Smiths images to produce a T shirt – available for one year only. Which they should be putting on sale soon.

With Christmas around the corner…

There's a 15% discount on Smiths and other musicians signed Limited edition photographs

http://wrightphotolimited.zenfolio.com/smiths

Main site http://www.smithsphotos.com/

There's the Smiths, Prince, PIL, Miles Davis, James Brown, U2, etc

Apply the discount code xmas2014
right at the end of checkout

Treat yourself or give as a gift…

SMITHS_DISCOUNT_CODE.jpg

I always thought that was a weird photo.

Johnny looks like a shy 60 year heroin addict. Andy has a camel toe and actually looks more handsome than Morrissey. Morrissey doesn't look like Morrissey at all, he's all moon faced. And Mike looks like Mike.

Seriously, look at the center photo and tell me you think the two handsome devils there, look anything like the Salford pics.
Johnny looks like how everyone in the Stone Roses look now. Morrissey looks like a Michael Myers mask with a Pompadour. The only reason that is a classic photo is because it was the insert in a classic album.

I always thought that was a weird photo.

Johnny looks like a shy 60 year heroin addict. Andy has a camel toe and actually looks more handsome than Morrissey. Morrissey doesn't look like Morrissey at all, he's all moon faced. And Mike looks like Mike.

Seriously, look at the center photo and tell me you think the two handsome devils there, look anything like the Salford pics.
Johnny looks like how everyone in the Stone Roses look now. Morrissey looks like a Michael Myers mask with a Pompadour. The only reason that is a classic photo is because it was the insert in a classic album.

Agreed, it's not a great picture. Johnny has always said that he was tired and cold during this shoot and just wanted to get back in the car.

Andy's camel-toe though... :straightface:

It doesn't stop it being one of the most iconic photographs in rock history though. Personally I think it's magnificent. It captures the band perfectly and at their creative peak. It's an Abbey Road moment for the 80s.

That goofy architectural penmanship. :horny: Pants = jizzed in.

Current gravestone epitaph plans (for myself): "I should have worn my mud-coloured cardigan."

Agreed, it's not a great picture. Johnny has always said that he was tired and cold during this shoot and just wanted to get back in the car.

Andy's camel-toe though... :straightface:
Johnny does look cold: http://wrightphotolimited.zenfolio.com/smiths/h50b2e83a#h50b2e19e

I think my brother's UK version of the Rough Trade CD had this pic in it if I recall.....I always dug seeing new pics of them. They are so young here: http://wrightphotolimited.zenfolio.com/smiths/h50b2e83a#h50b2e57c

Will the special t shirt only be on sale at Salford Lads Club or can we go to their website to order?

It doesn't stop it being one of the most iconic photographs in rock history though. Personally I think it's magnificent. It captures the band perfectly and at their creative peak. It's an Abbey Road moment for the 80s.

I was there, Manchesters answer to The Beatles, happy times, such a shame he sold out "but that's the way it goes".
The old Mancunian Smiths fans
Have a wonderful dream
Tosserrey on the Christies ward

When will you die ?
When will you die ?
Make the dream reall
Make the dream reall
Lah dah dah dah
Lah dah dah dah

It's really laughable ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ha ha ha aha ah ah !
Goodnight and thankyou

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I much prefer the Lawrence Watson SLC shots from the following winter ~

15701539949_0ef702f463_o.png

~ maybe this is how they should have settled the court case ten years later.....FIIIIIGHT!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom