Stalking Around Manchester

L

lucky_lithp

Going to Manchester for three or four days later this month - any particular sites I should visit that are significant to the Morrissey legacy? I have no idea where I could get this information. I'm not looking to track down his parents or ex-lovers - perhaps, if I was staying longer - but, it would be cool to see his old stomping grounds.

Or something like that...

Go and look an old friend of his, Anne Coats. She sang backing vocals on "Bigmouth". She still gets up and does a turn in the pubs of Salford of a Saturday night, in return for a bottle of milk stout.

Failing that, the site of Salford Lads Club is essential, as is the "Strangeways" sign near the Boddingtons brewery.

> Go and look an old friend of his, Anne Coats. She sang backing
> vocals on "Bigmouth". She still gets up and does a
> turn in the pubs of Salford of a Saturday night, in return for a
> bottle of milk stout.

> Failing that, the site of Salford Lads Club is essential, as is
> the "Strangeways" sign near the Boddingtons brewery.

Is the strangeways sign still up now that they've changed it to Manchester Prison? I think it looks more like a really secure tesco's than a institution for naughty boys!

You could always go visit the cemetary where he used to go with linda on a dreaded sunny day.

Or maybe go and laugh at the mosaic on the outside of Afleck Palace...take your microscope though...or at least a 200ml lens!

Re: This should help

> Going to Manchester for three or four days later this month -
> any particular sites I should visit that are significant to the
> Morrissey legacy? I have no idea where I could get this
> information. I'm not looking to track down his parents or
> ex-lovers - perhaps, if I was staying longer - but, it would be
> cool to see his old stomping grounds.

> Or something like that...

I did the Manchester trip about 9 years ago, and what I did was buy the Manchester city guide A-Z, available at a convenience store or a liquor mart. It basically is a detailed map of the city, and you can easily find your way around the city w/ that. First, find Kings Road. Morrissey's old house is on Kings Road, and I believe the address is 836(Someone can correct me if I am wrong). It is a red brick duplex. A block or two from there is the infamous iron bridge. You can't miss it. It is directly next to a little market/store. It was painted a light blue when I was there last, and if you go across it, you will be at St. Mary's, which was Mozza's old school. I honestly can't remember where the Salfords Lads Club was, but it should not be too hard to find. It had a fence around it when I was there, and it is in a not too nice part of town. Hope that helps somewhat.

Strangeways Here I Come

Wow. I really didn't expect such a positive response to my posting. I was expecting one lone reply from Greasetea telling me to bugger off (which I'm sure to expect now that I've made known my fear).

Anyway, it doesn't matter - I've received so much incredibly helpful and useful information. Thanks much to Stig, Cinderella, Sharron, and Elsberry. I really appreciate it! Hopefully, I can get some decent photos and let you see how it went.

Thanks again.

Re: Strangeways Here I Come

> Wow. I really didn't expect such a positive response to my
> posting. I was expecting one lone reply from Greasetea telling
> me to bugger off (which I'm sure to expect now that I've made
> known my fear).

> Anyway, it doesn't matter - I've received so much incredibly
> helpful and useful information. Thanks much to Stig, Cinderella,
> Sharron, and Elsberry. I really appreciate it! Hopefully, I can
> get some decent photos and let you see how it went.

> Thanks again.

Aw you're welcome swinkle...and just for being so well mannered and thoughtful enough to say thanks, I wish you a lovely trip and Greasybaby just for me be an angel and leave this nice person alone...If you do I'll let you play with my shoes again real soon!

Oh by the way I believe the Cemetery to be called Southern Cemetery - only I'm not exactly sure where abouts it is or how many other cemeteries there are with that name in Manchester as a whole.

I live in manchester and i'd advise you to be careful because salford's a pretty rough place, its easy to get lost in and i wouldn't leave your car parked any old place. having said that it's a great city. The hacienda's an obvious site (just ask anyone for directions) if you find the boardwalk (its a club, again ask directions as i can't really explain where it is here) opposite the club the house with a metal door belongs to anthony wilson the man who owner factory and said he didn't sign the smiths in order to save indie music, piss on his doorstep or something, he's full of @#!!! but he knows morrissey. By the way that comment about looking in salford pubs for someone, good luck! Salfords a huge place and if i were you i wouldn't go into any salford pubs as you are likely to get mugged. One other place you might like to go, the holy name church is opposite the student union you can't miss it. Steal some lead for me.

andy m

Re: Stalking Around Manchester, is that you?

Like i really, reallllllllllllllllllllly care where the hell you live. Thanks for your as valuable as Hitler advice. Why don't you tell us that the sky is blue or that water makes you wet? Jeeze man, are you one dumb fook. Go eat some curry, drink some hydrochloric acid and get the best spinal tap you have ever had with an elephant donk.

Surely you need to quit listening to your GOD rocks music..(except the Newsboys, you can have unprotected sex in church with that music) and understand that you are a scumbag.

GO TO HELL you bitch, I wish when you were born, you accidentally got strangled with the umbilical cord.

OK you @#!!!. If you're one of these sick @#!!! obsessed americans who dope on the guy enough to travel to a stinking dead industrial town to look at sixties housing then @#!!! you. Go to salford, get run over/shot or what the @#!!!. I don't give a @#!!!. it'll stop the @#!!!ers pestering me for a bit. Go on walk into a pub in salford and try and guess how many bones you'll walk out with when you ask if anyone know's morrissey in your rank accent. i hope they garrotte you with your @#!!!in money belt you piece of @#!!!.
If however you live in manchester then @#!!! you too you pathetic wanker, what the @#!!! is with you? If you are anthony wilson then really @#!!! you. You sad ass, faux streetwise little @#!!! mired in your own delusions two decades spent, and you paint your toe nails you said, fat, overtanned @#!!!bag, and @#!!! that little @#!!! of a son too. If you live in salford then your lives @#!!! enough as it is.

Why the @#!!! the overeation? WHat the @#!!! is you problem?

> OK you @#!!! . If you're one of these sick @#!!! obsessed
> americans who dope on the guy enough to travel to a stinking
> dead industrial town to look at sixties housing then @#!!!
> you. Go to salford, get run over/shot or what the @#!!! . I
> don't give a @#!!! . it'll stop the @#!!! ers pestering me for
> a bit. Go on walk into a pub in salford and try and guess how
> many bones you'll walk out with when you ask if anyone know's
> morrissey in your rank accent. i hope they garrotte you with
> your @#!!! in money belt you piece of @#!!! .
> If however you live in manchester then @#!!! you too you
> pathetic wanker, what the @#!!! is with you? If you are
> anthony wilson then really @#!!! you. You sad ass, faux
> streetwise little @#!!! mired in your own delusions two
> decades spent, and you paint your toe nails you said, fat,
> overtanned @#!!! bag, and @#!!! that little @#!!! of a son
> too. If you live in salford then your lives @#!!! enough as it
> is.

> Why the @#!!! the overeation? WHat the @#!!! is you problem?

Wow you'd make a brill guest on Jerry Springer...all those white trash bleeps would kick the raitings through the roof!!!