Smiths mix questions for experts

N

New guy

Howdy folks.

I am a long time lurker first time poster (be gentle with me). My question for those in the know is:

Having recently purchased the Smiths complete cd boxset and putting it on my mac and ipod I would like to know if there is any reason to keep most of the duplicated tracks (most of The World Won't Listen etc) -are there any subtle differences. I am keeping Stretch Out and Wait (different lyrics), That Joke Isn't Funny (different length), You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby (different mix) and Money Changes Everything (not on anything else). Can I delete the rest of World Won't Listen? Is there any differences in any of the other tracks or are they just duplicates found elsewhere on the other cds of The Smiths complete boxset. What about the repeated tracks on Hatful Of Hollow (William, and Heaven Knows etc)? Many thanks in advance for the help!

Rich from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

There are two mixes on the original CDs that you cannot find on the remasters or anywhere else on CD: The single version of "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" on "The World Won't Listen" and the US Mix of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby" on "Louder Than Bombs". Both have been replaced with their regular versions on the remasters. The other version of "Stretch Out And Wait" is on Louder Than Bombs, though.

Thanks for the info Oso Blanco! I am glad I still have the old cds then. Are the repeated tracks (besides the ones I mentioned in my first post) just identical duplicates then. If so I am going to delete the identical duplicate tracks (World Won't Listen and some of Hatful) from my ipod then. I just didn't want to delete the tracks if there was anything different or unique about those versions.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has useful info in this regard.

Thanks!

Howdy folks.

I am a long time lurker first time poster (be gentle with me). My question for those in the know is:

Having recently purchased the Smiths complete cd boxset and putting it on my mac and ipod I would like to know if there is any reason to keep most of the duplicated tracks (most of The World Won't Listen etc) -are there any subtle differences. I am keeping Stretch Out and Wait (different lyrics), That Joke Isn't Funny (different length), You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby (different mix) and Money Changes Everything (not on anything else). Can I delete the rest of World Won't Listen? Is there any differences in any of the other tracks or are they just duplicates found elsewhere on the other cds of The Smiths complete boxset. What about the repeated tracks on Hatful Of Hollow (William, and Heaven Knows etc)? Many thanks in advance for the help!

Rich from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Additionally, if you are into filesharing sites, you may eventually come across rips of the b-sides from The Boy With The Thorn in His Side, which are Rubber Ring and Asleep. However, while these are the same tracks as as appear on those compilations, they are technically different mixes, where Rubber Ring's spoken word ending repeats over and over as it fades seamlessly into the wind sound affect from Asleep. Really moving, and highly recommended.

Later on tonight, I will try to post all the b-sides not collected on those two comps. I'll put them in an iPod-ready folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably know this, Rich, but a lot of the tracks on Hatful... are radio sessions.

Apart from that, one track is different. Hand In Glove is the single version and a different mix to the version on The Smiths. This is the same version as on Louder Than Bombs.

I should add that I'm talking about the original CDs. I don't know if this is the same with the boxset.

Full original-run-era catalog comp breakdown, in order of release date:

Hatful of Hollow (songs not included on The World Won't Listen or Louder Than Bombs)

2. What Difference Does It Make (Peel session)
3. These Things Take Time (Jensen session)
4. This Charming Man (Peel session)
5. How Soon Is Now (also on American version of Meat Is Murder)
6. Handsome Devil (Peel session)
8. Still Ill (Peel session)
11. You've Got Everything Now (Jensen session)
12. Accept Yourself (Jensen session)
14. Back To The Old House
15. Reel Around The Fountain (Peel session)

The World Won't Listen (songs not included on Hatful of Hollow or Louder Than Bombs)

4. Bigmouth Strikes Again (also on The Queen Is Dead)
6. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
8. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (single version/Drone demo master)
9. Money Changes Everything
13. Stretch Out And Wait (alternate version)
14. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore (single edit of Meat Is Murder version)
16. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby (abandoned single mix)

Louder Than Bombs (songs not included on Hatful Of Hollow or Louder Than Bombs)

1. Is It Really So Strange? (Peel session)
2. Sheila Take a Bow
3. Shoplifters Of The World, Unite
4. Sweet and Tender Hooligan (Peel session)
5. Half a Person
6. London
7. Panic
9. Shakespeare's Sister
11. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby (alternate mix)
13. Ask
14. Golden Showers
15. Oscillate Wildly
16. These Things Take Time (b-side version)
17. Rubber Ring
18. Back To The Old House (b-side version)
20. Stretch Out and Wait (original version)
22. This Night Has Opened My Eyes (Peel session)
23. Unloveable
24. Asleep

Thanks for all the help and useful info everyone. Just what I was after! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom