Smashing Pumpkins Member Reveals Why Morrissey Lost ‘Grandeur’ Of Smiths - Alternative Nation

Smashing Pumpkins Member Reveals Why Morrissey Lost ‘Grandeur’ Of Smiths - Alternative Nation

Mr. Chamberlin (drummer) offers an explanation of sorts...

“We knew how we wanted to make ourselves feel. That’s a great reference point, I think Mike Joyce and the way he played with the Smiths, was just an incredible inspiration to me, just because of the sensitivity and power that he played with, and the grandeur that he played with, that I think Morrissey was never able to capture later. Those early Smiths records were face melting, just in the production. Nirvana was kind of the punk rock version of that.”

39935_pumpkinssmiths-696x412.jpg

The brief article then segues in to a recap of recent live events with no real attempt at cogency.
Not the best of writing.
April 19th, 2017:
http://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-morrissey-lost-grandeur-of-smiths/
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an odd article. Doesn't Peter Katsis manage the Smashing Pumpkins as well as Morrissey now?

Mr. Chamberlin (drummer) offers an explanation of sorts...

“We knew how we wanted to make ourselves feel. That’s a great reference point, I think Mike Joyce and the way he played with the Smiths, was just an incredible inspiration to me, just because of the sensitivity and power that he played with, and the grandeur that he played with, that I think Morrissey was never able to capture later. Those early Smiths records were face melting, just in the production. Nirvana was kind of the punk rock version of that.”
View attachment 41430

The brief article then segues in to a recap of recent live events with no real attempt at cogency.
Not the best of writing.
April 19th, 2017:
http://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-morrissey-lost-grandeur-of-smiths/
Regards,
FWD.

"Not the best of writing".
Ha, you are too kind!
You mean it's shit.
And, one drummer of a mediocre band praising another drummer of a good band but at the same time saying Moz lost HIS grandeur. What do THEY know about grandeur? Some drummers with grandeur in popmusic were Keith Moon and Ginger Baker. They are nowhere near.
If anyone has grandeur in popmusic it is Moz.
You have it, or you don't.
Those 2 drummers don't.

Of course, the machine wouldn't function without those very integral parts.
Very useful parts of the machine and that machine could be a much more complex and important apparatus then a lawnmower but not entirely unreplaceble.
The idea that 4 members of a group are fairly equal is a nice idea but as everybody knows, Johnny Marr and Moz could not be replaced. The other two members could.
Not saying I like it, but there it is.

Didn't Joyce play on a bona drag song. Was grandeur repeated. That's a weird piece. Seems kinda all over the place but yes he does rep smashing pumpkins

Didn't Joyce play on a bona drag song. Was grandeur repeated. That's a weird piece. Seems kinda all over the place but yes he does rep smashing pumpkins

Sister, I Am A Poet?
Talking about grandeur!
In more then one way cause grandeur didn't keep him away from his fans.
He embraced them! And still managed to deliver the song. ;)

Well grandeur, or lack of it at least, didnt keep him away from fans or the charts for that matter. I don't wanna turn the thread to Joyce bashing but it's a weird quality to attribute to his playing. Same with the production on early albums being face melting. I don't think I've ever heard anyone make similar claims. I wouldn't read to much into them both being represented by peter though. If he was gonna manufacture a quote for promo I doubt it'd be one that talked about the smiths and least of all one that mentions Joyce. A topic most fans I think have heard enough of

Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the best rockdrummers ever and can look back on a very succesful career, so I don't get the comments that he's a nobody who doesn't know what he's talking about. I for one find it refreshing to hear this insight from one top musician about another, although for me the real unsung hero of The Smiths will always be Andy.

What an odd article. Doesn't Peter Katsis manage the Smashing Pumpkins as well as Morrissey now?
Yes , and Matt Walker replaced Jimmy Chamberlain in the Smashing Pumpkins for a time in the 90's when Jimmy was fired for drug abuse. Matt is a great fit for Morrissey IMHO.

Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the best rockdrummers ever and can look back on a very succesful career, so I don't get the comments that he's a nobody who doesn't know what he's talking about. I for one find it refreshing to hear this insight from one top musician about another, although for me the real unsung hero of The Smiths will always be Andy.

Exactly! I don't ageee with his quote, but to attack his credibility is laughable. He's an amazing talented drummer, so I'm not sure what people are getting at.

There is no such thing as bad publicity? Just tell us he has a new deal

I've never really been attuned to The Drums in any sense. I mean no offence by that - purcussion to me is simply... there.
Saying that, the drumming on the Island released Sparks records by Dinky Diamond goes beyond simple pircussion and becomes a towering, dramatic wall of opera.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the Strangeways drum machine doesn't get enough credit ;)
FWD.

Last edited:
I'd say Morrissey's solo work not having the same grandeur is b/c of Johnny Marr's absence - but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom