Ricky Gervais on those who don't play The Smiths for political reasons

The left has lost their minds and there's no sign of them finding them anytime soon. Making the right look like the sensible ones is something I'd never thought they'd be capable of. So now that the left and right are both equally insane where does a thinking person sit?

Looking at them in horror mostly.

IMG_20191201_130733.jpg

**Clearing my phone of old memes if you're wondering.

There's surely pretty much no-one who doesn't listen to the Smiths because of how Morrissey (doesn't) vote. There's plenty of people who think Morrissey is a twat. But none of us have thrown away our Smiths CDs. Gervais was brilliant in The Office, but this is observational comedy for the blind.

There's surely pretty much no-one who doesn't listen to the Smiths because of how Morrissey (doesn't) vote. There's plenty of people who think Morrissey is a twat. But none of us have thrown away our Smiths CDs. Gervais was brilliant in The Office, but this is observational comedy for the blind.

The force is strong with this one

He's got an amazing beautiful smile it seems he can hardly control. I like that in a man.
There's a collective gasp in America when he does our awards shows. He is so f***ing funny. He nailed Greta Thurberg good. Hope he's well in lockdown. He seems sensitive under it all. Super f***ing funny.

Guess what pussies? I love Skrewdriver and Morrissey and despise Muslims. And that’s my right. Does that make you cry???

I feel sorry for you. It must be terrible being trapped up there. Have a look around for a way out of Morrissey's arse. At least you have a decent internet connection up there though. So there's that...
So, why exactly are you on this site? Is it because you're tired of arguing with yourself in that cracked mirror of yours?

If he's read the comments on Central, then he'll know Morrissey is 'on a journey' aka a confused liberal.

And he's unlikely to go by The Guardian, Independent etc etc because he's also had his words distorted for outrage clicks.

sure "distorted" like in that "Der Spiegel" - fiasco

sure "distorted" like in that "Der Spiegel" - fiasco

Yes. Distorted. Because things that were provisional were framed as emphatic.

It happens to Moz all the time, he says something camp or chatty & the hack says it's an Outburst or a Rant.

Then it gets repeated for eternity no matter how many things he says to contradict or counter it.

I love him despite his flaws. Also I find a lot of his flaws quite funny. I put him in the outrageous diva category.**

**That's Moz, not Eric Gill, who is very talented, but too awful.

Karen, I wonder what you would tell fans who are POC who don’t have the same experience of simply writing off Morrissey’s behavior as ‘funny’ or being a “diva”? I ask because you come across as an intelligent and mostly empathetic person. Would you tell them simply to move on if they don’t like what he says? Genuinely interested.

Well put! ?

Karen, I wonder what you would tell fans who are POC who don’t have the same experience of simply writing off Morrissey’s behavior as ‘funny’ or being a “diva”? I ask because you come across as an intelligent and mostly empathetic person. Would you tell them simply to move on if they don’t like what he says? Genuinely interested.

In the conversations I've had, they mostly don't seem to care. It tends to be white Indie 'kids' who think he reflects badly on them. His outbursts amount to a few clumsy sentences. And a lot of my POC friends still have strong enough connections with their heritage cultures to have relatives with illiberal opinions or bits of their heritage that clash with the UK. Some of them recognize his confusion about identity & borders & where he belongs as something they've also struggled with.

For myself, I'm half Irish Catholic, half Scottish Presbyterian, grew up Catholic in Scotland & have worked & lived in England, with its blend of secularism, Monarchy, radicalism & Anglicanism. It's very weird finding your political & artistic orientation from that clashing stew.

I find most people in real life don't want to be reduced to their worst moments & think the small but very vocal cancellation culture could get any of them.

I'm quite unthreatening, so I usually get people's real gripes rather than whatever they think they're meant to say.

Yes. Distorted. Because things that were provisional were framed as emphatic.

It happens to Moz all the time, he says something camp or chatty & the hack says it's an Outburst or a Rant.

Then it gets repeated for eternity no matter how many things he says to contradict or counter it.

lol except that Der Spiegel released the original interview tapes ...
he wore a far right racist party badge live on american television only "provisional"? lol

its as much distorted as you are disillusioned, Fräulein!

lol except that Der Spiegel released the original interview tapes ...
he wore a far right racist party badge live on american television only "provisional"? lol

its as much distorted as you are disillusioned, Fräulein!

I listened to the tape - it was discursive. He actually squealed when he realized she thought he was saying he was against all immigration.

& the badge was for a then entirely new party run by a woman who started out on the left & who he believed had been smeared by the press.

"She's uncertain if she likes him but she knows she REALLY loves Him."
Happy Birthday MORRISSEY for yesterday.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom