On those rare occasions

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
When the likes of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore are played live (once), and Come Back To Camden (a handful of times) and Art-hounds (once), do you think Morrissey has any particular reason for playing them at the particular place and time? And is there a reason why they are never seen in the live arena again?

For the aforementioned songs, and others (e.g. At Amber (once) and when The Boy Racer opened a gig at the start of a new run not too long ago and wasn't played live again for that tour), is anyone able to research the place, venue, etc, to see if they had any special significance for said songs to appear?

It's always made me wonder...

Re: On those rare occasions...

It's how he feels.
All of his songs have emotional attachment one way or another and all mean something to him.

It is also the arrangement of playing things live. For example Birthday is hard to setup on stage and I bet he did not like it when it played live against the original. I'm not sure about Art Hounds. Boz said in an interview that the setlists work around the songs.

i think Birthday and Camden are both very very difficult to sing, which is understandable.

It may well have been the bootleg recording of the Washington DC show but Birthday was no great shakes live, sadly.

i think Birthday and Camden are both very very difficult to sing, which is understandable.

It may well have been the bootleg recording of the Washington DC show but Birthday was no great shakes live, sadly.

It's a shame he didn't lower the key of "Birthday" for live performance like he did with "Something is Squeezing My Skull." I'm still of the opinion that with the proper video, an edit of "Birthday" with a shorter outro could've been his #1.

I wish he would do Come Back to Camden. Just one more time!

When the likes of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore are played live (once), and Come Back To Camden (a handful of times) and Art-hounds (once), do you think Morrissey has any particular reason for playing them at the particular place and time? And is there a reason why they are never seen in the live arena again?

For the aforementioned songs, and others (e.g. At Amber (once) and when The Boy Racer opened a gig at the start of a new run not too long ago and wasn't played live again for that tour), is anyone able to research the place, venue, etc, to see if they had any special significance for said songs to appear?

Perth, Scotland 2011.

Why Art-hounds was played only once and before it was officially released, and never again... I have no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Perth, Scotland 2011.

Yeah, that was when The Boy Racer opened the set. Why only that one time? The mind boggles.

i dont think he much cares for the song art hounds imo. also like the above said camden is hard to sing while birthday while not hard takes a lot of energy and force to make it hit live which might be more difficult live

i dont think he much cares for the song art hounds imo. also like the above said camden is hard to sing while birthday while not hard takes a lot of energy and force to make it hit live which might be more difficult live

With regards to art hounds, he cared enough to include it on the deluxe edition of the album after only performing it once while leaving a song like action is my middle name off. He performed the latter on national tv so he must've thought enough of it while leaving it off the album.

With regards to art hounds, he cared enough to include it on the deluxe edition of the album after only performing it once while leaving a song like action is my middle name off. He performed the latter on national tv so he must've thought enough of it while leaving it off the album.

i was not very impressed by the extra tracks off of the deluxe addition but if he wants to release a deluxe album and a standard version then he needs extra tracks and i think chose that one to perform live, read doesnt want to perform another album track (dont know if the performance youre talking about was before or after the albums release. if before then it males total sense to me) as it was the best most immediate non thought required out of some weaker unfinished sounding songs. as to action it wouldnt be much of a draw since its been out there for a long time and to put it on a new release even as an extra song wouldnt be a good idea. that said i dont really care for either though action has more potential imo.

i was not very impressed by the extra tracks off of the deluxe addition but if he wants to release a deluxe album and a standard version then he needs extra tracks and i think chose that one to perform live, read doesnt want to perform another album track (dont know if the performance youre talking about was before or after the albums release. if before then it males total sense to me) as it was the best most immediate non thought required out of some weaker unfinished sounding songs. as to action it wouldnt be much of a draw since its been out there for a long time and to put it on a new release even as an extra song wouldnt be a good idea. that said i dont really care for either though action has more potential imo.

I remember seeing him performing Scandinavia live in 2011 so I don't think the age is it either. I like some of the extra tracks more than some of the album tracks. Art hounds is amazing and with the exception of Scandinavia I think they're all great songs worthy of being included on the album.

I remember seeing him performing Scandinavia live in 2011 so I don't think the age is it either. I like some of the extra tracks more than some of the album tracks. Art hounds is amazing and with the exception of Scandinavia I think they're all great songs worthy of being included on the album.

thats cool but i dont or didnt see scandinavia being played all over the place like i did action and the others and if he did put those songs on there then i think the question would be made is material drying up in the morrissey camp and its just an inevitable question . he played action a bunch and scandinavia only once i guess if it had been played all over the place then id make the same argument about it. personally i think it just a mediocre song for morrissey and the reason it gets played aired is that its probably about someone he loves very much. art hounds is an alright song but it just feels trite to me and kinda boring in its way. kinda like roys keen, a song i mindlessly enjoy but thats as far as it goes. i think the best songs for once made it on this tracklisting with the b-sides being in there proper place. i loved world peace more than vauxhal southpaw maladjusted ringleader or refusal

Why Art-hounds was played only once and before it was officially released, and never again... I have no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that was when The Boy Racer opened the set. Why only that one time? The mind boggles.

It opened the set up one more time--June 17, 2011 The Ironworks, Inverness, Scotland--http://www.setlist.fm/?wicket:interface=:6:1:::
But than it dropped from the setlist. And it was his first time playing it since 2000. The Ironworks gig actually looks like an awesome setlist all around.

I have continuously questioned why he only played Art Hounds once or why he recently decided to reintroduce the People Are the Same Everywhere back into the setlist.

If he sang Art hounds regularly on tour he would blow his throat out halfway through the tour.

If he sang Art hounds regularly on tour he would blow his throat out halfway through the tour.

probably true and same with birthday. i would really love to hear camden again though since its one of my fav moz songs. so good

Thats a good question. Most bands would work around 'hits' and songs they know are fan faves in that particular country. However Moz is known to think through pretty much every aspect of his work, so it could be that he has specific reasons for including songs.

Thats a good question. Most bands would work around 'hits' and songs they know are fan faves in that particular country. However Moz is known to think through pretty much every aspect of his work, so it could be that he has specific reasons for including songs.

I'm pretty sure there are specific reasons why certain songs are played at a particular time. I'm sure, for example, that Moz had a reason why he wanted to play Asleep now. I think it had already been soundchecked in 2013. And I'm sure there was a reason behind playing I Keep Mine Hidden in 2009. I know many fans complained that he chose that one because the Smiths had much stronger material but I could at least acknowledge that the song means a lot to Moz. That fact can't be denied when you consider that quote

"The very last Smiths' sessions at Streatham we recorded two songs that turned up as B-sides: 'Work Is A Four Letter Word' (a cover of a Cilla Black song), and one called 'I Keep Mine Hidden' which was the last song Johnny and I wrote together and the last song The Smiths recorded together. Now when I play The Smiths - which I do a lot - that song is always the first I play. And it's the one that makes me feel the happiest."
- Morrissey, The Face, March 1990

Back
Top Bottom