old little pic of young little morrissey

With caption:

The mid-80s - It's difficult, nay impossible, to isolate one of Morrissey's early appearances on TOTP. The old drama queen instinctively knew how to make an impression. Hearing aids, gladioli, writing on his face... marvellous.
Download music by The Smiths

He didn't write on his face.

He wrote on his neck (The Boy with the Thorn in His Side) and chest (William)...

I watched two programmes about TOTP yesterday (ok, I was bored... I'd handwashed 8 tea towels earlier), and neither of them featured the Smiths or Morrissey. The stuff they showed for the 80s was the usual cliched naffness of Culture Club et al.

Funniest bit... "Feed the World" - Paul Weller miming to Bono's "Tonight thank god it's them." I haven't laughed so much in ages!

I told my mum if The Smiths weren't on that TOTP programme, I'd throw something at the telly. Yes, I threw something.

Everybody knows The Smiths TOTP appearences were spectacular. Wasn't it Noel Gallagher who said seeing The Smiths on TOTP was what made he want to be a rock star? (or was it seeing Johnny Marr made him want to play guitar? I can't remember...) They so should have been on it.

They mentioned it too on the news. Here they did show: Rolling Stones, Bowie, Robbie Williams etc
I did swear a lot ;)

Dupree said:
They so should have been on it.

I agree Dupree.

However, did you notice that virtually every artist featured also gave a 10 second snipet either before or after their flashback? So you know what probably happened don't you?

"Hello, is that Mr Morrissey"
"Erm, yes who is this".
"Andi Peters, we're doing a program on the history of TOTP......"
*phone is slammed down and Moz goes back to polishing his typewriter*

They made a terrible terrible mess of the last ever TOTP and I too moaned and tutted all the way through before bursting into tears when Jimmy Saville switched off the lights and walked off. I hope when they eventually bring it back they don't let idiots like Andi Peters any where near it ever again. You can tell that he's never been moved by a piece of music in his entire life.

And the old clips like the Jackson 5, David Bowie and Wham had been played a million times on TOTP2 as well. I wanted to be saying 'wow, this is really exciting. What a great collection of clips they've got on here! I've never seen that clip but I'm glad I did - that must have been wicked back in the day.' but instead I was thinking 'oh for freak's sake, I've seen this about six times on UK Gold. What the hell is going on?'.

Instead of picking appearances that actually incited something in their day (with the exceptions of Mr Bowie and perhaps the Rolling Stones) or were absolute classics they just went with mushy-gushy jumping-through-hoops-with-smarmy-looks-on-their-faces tosh.

Bit disappointing to say the least. I'm not just getting my knickers in a twist because The Smiths weren't on either - TOTP deserved to have a good send off because it was such a British institution but instead it just seemed to parody itself, which was a shame.

Back
Top Bottom