New Stuart Maconie book - lots of Smiths/Moz/Gatenby

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I bought this today...
51ar4IiKITL._SS500_.jpg

Stuart Maconie's eulogy to the North. A chapter on Manchester, entitled "..so much to answer for", has a goodly amount on the Manchester music scene, and therein, a goodly amount on The Smiths and Morrissey. It's a wonderful read. And yet further therein, there's a good page and a bit given over to Phill's "Morrissey's Manchester". Did you know, Phill? Quote - "Gatenby's slim, cheery volume makes official the Smiths tourism that's actually been going on for some years now" - it goes on to a whole section on the Salford Lad's Club. It's a fantastic read, and I heartily recommend it to all.

Peter

P.S in an entirely unrelated matter, I found, while browsing in WH Smith, I saw a James Dean magazine and DVD for a fiver, one of these 'one-off' specials that publishing houses do from time to time. The Skipton branch had loads of them, so going by that, they should be up and down the country in good volume.

I bought this today...
51ar4IiKITL._SS500_.jpg

Stuart Maconie's eulogy to the North. A chapter on Manchester, entitled "..so much to answer for", has a goodly amount on the Manchester music scene, and therein, a goodly amount on The Smiths and Morrissey. It's a wonderful read. And yet further therein, there's a good page and a bit given over to Phill's "Morrissey's Manchester". Did you know, Phill? Quote - "Gatenby's slim, cheery volume makes official the Smiths tourism that's actually been going on for some years now" - it goes on to a whole section on the Salford Lad's Club. It's a fantastic read, and I heartily recommend it to all.

Peter

P.S in an entirely unrelated matter, I found, while browsing in WH Smith, I saw a James Dean magazine and DVD for a fiver, one of these 'one-off' specials that publishing houses do from time to time. The Skipton branch had loads of them, so going by that, they should be up and down the country in good volume.

I'm readin it at t'mo. I've no got up to the 'slim Gatenby' bit yet but I've already had a chuckle! I picked it up cheap fi th'Asdas & took it on holiday last week but I also took 'These Colours Don't Run' about & by an Hibs casual (ex-casual actually) & I read the Hibs book 1st obviously.

love

Grim

I'm reading this at the moment too (along with Morrissey in Conversation - one is for my work lunch break, one is for home).

It's a good, interesting read - and that's coming from someone who has never lived further north than Leicester! :rolleyes:

And yet further therein, there's a good page and a bit given over to Phill's "Morrissey's Manchester". Did you know, Phill? Quote - "Gatenby's slim, cheery volume makes official the Smiths tourism that's actually been going on for some years now"

Wasn't this quote used on the back of Panic on the Streets? Has Maconie just copied something he'd previously written?!

I have read past that in the book, but it's only occurred to me now...

Wasn't this quote used on the back of Panic on the Streets? Has Maconie just copied something he'd previously written?!

I have read past that in the book, but it's only occurred to me now...

Nice observation Cowshed;)
Peter, take a look at the back cover of 'Panic On The Streets':rolleyes:

The book is over a year old! I read it on a trip to Germany March 07 and it was the best book I read last year (not just because of the references!).

Jukebox Jury

Nice observation Cowshed;)
Peter, take a look at the back cover of 'Panic On The Streets':rolleyes:

The book is over a year old! I read it on a trip to Germany March 07 and it was the best book I read last year (not just because of the references!).

Jukebox Jury

Oh fark. I was lulled into a false sense of security by seeing it at the top of the bestselling list at Waterstones in Bradford by the Telegraph & Argus this last weekend. The chiselling, late, late, bastards. And equally, I am indeed behind the times. I think I need sleep.

Peter

**EDIT** - I only read the insides of books I helped to write. Not the outsides. How vulgar.

This thread scares me. Ya'll are talking Britishy and I don't understand. But the Maconie book cover is nicely designed.

Last edited:
Oh fark. I was lulled into a false sense of security by seeing it at the top of the bestselling list at Waterstones in Bradford by the Telegraph & Argus this last weekend. The chiselling, late, late, bastards. And equally, I am indeed behind the times.

Y'know, that's the gist of the North I get when reading this book..it's always behind the times!

(I, of course, say that with my tongue firmly in my cheek - how can someone born and bred in Devon say somewhere else is behind the times?! Starbucks only bothered this city last year:eek:)

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it . Spot on with Greggs there seemed to be one on every corner in Sunderland, also quite a few hi-viz tabards on show too :D

There are loads of Morrissey references in almost every chapter - Highly recommended .

The Hibs C.C.S book was no' bad too , though a wee bit exagerated but I guess all those 'Cashie' books are .

I know a few characters in the book and can confirm as Danny Dyer would say they were 'A right naughty little firm' . I remember the Princes st petrol bomb incident well :eek::eek:

for some reason, i misread and thought that Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian wrote this book.

I couldn't figure out why he would obsess about Moz so much.

I'm reading it too. I'm up to Middlesbrough (check out the Mark E Smith quote LOL). Its quite sad that it hasnt really inspired me to visit any of these places though. Maybe the island where the landlord is king (can't remember where it was though)... Mind you, I am on a bit of a I HATE THIS COUNTRY downer at the minute. Its cold, expensive and wet :mad:

I was in Asda in Harpurhey this afternoon and the book was on the shelves for £3.98:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom