new descendents album out july for those who like the punk rock spiked with a phd

A

Anonymous

holy crap, finally as i was just complaining in the rancid thread that theyve had an album in the can now for years though i dont know if this is that. either way hell yeah, one of my all time fav bands

"Descendents have announced a new album at a recent LA live show. The album will be called Hypercaffium Spazzinate and it is out July on Epitaph Records. At the show, the band played new songs “Feel This,” “Victim of Me,” “On Paper,” “Testosterone,” “Full Circle,” and “Shameless Halo”. those are expected to be on the new release"

sighing is pleasure as i type

Thanks.

I'm a huge Descendents fan. I only listened to the Descendents in my car for 18 months.

Then a girl gave me The Queen is Dead and I discovered The Smiths.

I had no idea they played in LA, I heard people got phone calls saying 'be here at this time' and no one else was invited.

I can't wait to hear the new album.

That said, have you heard the All "Everything Sux" tracks off youtube?

WC

Thanks.

I'm a huge Descendents fan. I only listened to the Descendents in my car for 18 months.

Then a girl gave me The Queen is Dead and I discovered The Smiths.

I had no idea they played in LA, I heard people got phone calls saying 'be here at this time' and no one else was invited.

I can't wait to hear the new album.

That said, have you heard the All "Everything Sux" tracks off youtube?

WC

I have everything descendent's related even the pavers which is stretching it. The show was for Fletcher's of pennywises birthdays so good for you getting a text. Everything and was my first descendent's album nd it's probably my favorite one. They recorded it ive hear because fhe label would put out an all record unless they got a descendent's on e as well though I don't know how true that is. Still a very strong album from a great band. Stevenson's in everything these days from recording at the blasting room to flag to all and the descendents. New album should be great as there last was exceptional

Sorry typing on a phone while proctoring the sats. Trying to stay awake

New song up and going. Not as good as cool to be you I I but still good

The descendants - victim of me

I love the descendants. All the elements are there.

I just really don't care for the recording.

The vocals are the most off. Hopefully it's just the single.

WC

I love the descendants. All the elements are there.

I just really don't care for the recording.

The vocals are the most off. Hopefully it's just the single.

WC

I kinda agree though I sure it's the blasting room for production. That'll probably never change. I really loved cool to be you but this single left me a little cold and saying meh. It wasn't as catchy or as deep/insightful as there other songs can be/have been. I'm hoping its just the single as well cause as they all write songs maybe it's just a Stephen song who's not my fav songwriter in the band though it honestly feels like a milo song. I prefer Stevenson of course and Alvarez.mshe don't care was one of my favs on cool to be you. Milo is usually really good as well but he can throw out some misses sometimes. Stephen just writes some weird songs with weird time signs like egg timer. Probably more fun for him to play than they are to listen to. I also still really want to hear the all record they've had in the can for years. Chad was they're best vocalist imp. He's kinda a jerk but he was still they're best. Scott was awesome, and the pavers were great, but alloys revenge aside he didn't get the best material

I was with you and then you confused the Descendents with All.

Which I can understand most people doing, but not a fan.

I don't like the recording because of the mix/production.

Bass is too low or the frequencies are off, that could be because i"m listening on my Mac with plug in speakers.

The vocals have way too many effects on them. Just go raw as all the better recordings have done (except maybe the All album).

I agree overall, the whole recording seems a bit off.

P.S.

I was a huge Dave Smalley as the All vocalist fan though I can't understand why now.

The second vocalist turned me off the band as a whole.

When the live All cd came out with the live Descendents cd as a bonus, I bought that and heard Chad for the first time.

That dude can sing.

Milo will always be my fave, but Chad (when directed well) can perform like a mofo.

W.C.

I was with you and then you confused the Descendents with All.

Which I can understand most people doing, but not a fan.

I don't like the recording because of the mix/production.

Bass is too low or the frequencies are off, that could be because i"m listening on my Mac with plug in speakers.

The vocals have way too many effects on them. Just go raw as all the better recordings have done (except maybe the All album).

I agree overall, the whole recording seems a bit off.

P.S.

I was a huge Dave Smalley as the All vocalist fan though I can't understand why now.

The second vocalist turned me off the band as a whole.

When the live All cd came out with the live Descendents cd as a bonus, I bought that and heard Chad for the first time.

That dude can sing.

Milo will always be my fave, but Chad (when directed well) can perform like a mofo.

W.C.

When did I confuse all with the descendants. I thought the production was fine with the bass kinda high in the mix myself but yeah the vocals did have an effect vibe to them but he's getting old and maybe they he felt they needed it. Milos probably the best singer but Chad has a broken emotive effect to his style that can really bring out some good stuff. No surprise he went the country angle with drag the river. It's arguable but I think he also got the best material to sing as well. Smalley is a guy I've never been a fan of myself in any of his bands or vocalist stints. Seems like a nice guy but I'm not into it and while the e"p he sings on is really good with songs like hate to love they're debut album for me was really mixed. Scott had a great album with allroys revenge withs songs like she's my ex bubble gum carnage scary sad and that album feels like a return to there roots and features some raw production but then they made some albums that felt were directionless. They sorta went in a lighter off kilter pop direction which was weird for alloy saves and percolator which was just a really odd album. Songs like dot can't say and nothing were really good but some of the were just not good and didn't work and songs like egg timer I could really live without ever hearing them again. By the time Chad came on board I felt like they found themselves again and had matured into writing songs with adult point of views and they also found they're footing in writting uptempo harder sounding music with fantastic hooks. Breaking things and pummel were both great and contain some of my fav songs. Birthday I.o.u about a youthful abortion just kills me and original me is the song milo chose to sing on live plus one. I think this is where they started becoming great again in a way that the descendants never really went into except for perhaps cool to be you. That adult facing the realities of life deal. Also the descendants as much as I love them for they're great songs for sure also have some iffy albums in I don't wanna grow up all and enjoy all of which are very mixed in quality. Goes to college everything sux and cool to be you are they're best. If you wanna get into a Scott album try alloys revenge. It has songs that are staples of they're love set even to this day as she's three out of the four I mentioned feature on live plus one which you own. To further make this point I don't think anything off of his other two albums with them ever makes the live cut. His band the pavers in the other hand is super excellent and worth tracking down if you can find them

I came to the Morrissey forum to promote a release I'm putting out on my label, but I got really stoked when I saw you guys were talking about this.

I loved the new album. The stream on NPR sucked quality wise, but the songs were great and as long as the weird changes in volume were due to the stream and not the actual recording, I think it'll be great.

That said, I put out a release by a band from my hometown today, and if you're into Lagwagon, Millencolin, etc. you might dig it. You can buy/stream it HERE.

Enjoy!

I came to the Morrissey forum to promote a release I'm putting out on my label, but I got really stoked when I saw you guys were talking about this.

I loved the new album. The stream on NPR sucked quality wise, but the songs were great and as long as the weird changes in volume were due to the stream and not the actual recording, I think it'll be great.

That said, I put out a release by a band from my hometown today, and if you're into Lagwagon, Millencolin, etc. you might dig it. You can buy/stream it HERE.

Enjoy!

Cool. I'll check it out Saturday. Haven't listened to millencolin in a long time now but I love Joey cape. I think the guys at punk news said the volume problem was npr and the clips on YouTube seemed fine so I doubt it'll have issues. I'm stoked for the album myself. There's been a petition lately to have them change the name but I can't see that happening and think the idea of it being offensive a reach

Npr now streaming the album say punk news.
https://www.punknews.org/article/61364/media-descendents-hypercaffium-spazzinate

Also sorry w.c. Reading back that conversation was terrible. My fault as I'm very distracted here. Hope you like the album though. Laterz

I came off as a dick. Sorry.

It was not you, It was me.

I've still only heard the album on youtube (will buy it after posting this) but all the things I've heard I don't think are due to youtube compression issues.

All the elements are there. The songs are there. They need a producer besides Bill. Bill does great work but not with his own band.

The best example I can give is it is hard to tell that the singer is Milo. The timing is spot on but it sounds nothing like him. It's not that he can't do it anymore, it's the production. It is like a perfect doppleganger with a completely different voice.

Again, I apologize. I'm glad we had the opportunity to discuss the Descendents on a Morrissey forum. My personal circle has been completed. :D

W.C.

I came off as a dick. Sorry.

It was not you, It was me.

I've still only heard the album on youtube (will buy it after posting this) but all the things I've heard I don't think are due to youtube compression issues.

All the elements are there. The songs are there. They need a producer besides Bill. Bill does great work but not with his own band.

The best example I can give is it is hard to tell that the singer is Milo. The timing is spot on but it sounds nothing like him. It's not that he can't do it anymore, it's the production. It is like a perfect doppleganger with a completely different voice.

Again, I apologize. I'm glad we had the opportunity to discuss the Descendents on a Morrissey forum. My personal circle has been completed. :D

W.C.

It was probably both of us then. I watch my now ten month old all day and it's super distracting. In that long post it took me forever to even get that down as I was up chasing him at least a few times. I'd sit back down and go now what was I saying etc. I still like it but it's my least favorite of the three reunion albums. Everything sux is super solid and cool to be you though had some super highs as some of the songwriters were going through rough times. Divorce with she don't care and bills father being sick who he's never had a good relationship with to start with. I got to meet him once after a lemonheads show and he was exactly how I thought he'd be breaking down his own drums. Productiln on cool to be you also sounded super sweet. As to the production on up I agree about the sound of Milos voice I just can't say what it is for sure as I'm not a tech guy at all. I knkw they recorded some at the blasting room and some in a few home studios and I never think doing that is a good idea. It was solid overall but after ths, I felt super meaningful, cool to be you it just didn't have the emotional impact I was looking for. Funny kn a side note I was listen to some all even today. Allroy for prez and put pummle.

Just for fun here's my fave descendent's albums in order

Everything sux
Cool to be you
I don't wanna grow up
Goes to college
Hypercaffium spazinate
All (this ones tough as it has some of there best songs and some I just don't care that much for anymore. Allogistics, all no all, Impressions ,vanage etc just do t do it for me any more. I'd probably put it over the new one but I really rate album consistency . Pep talk cooladge clean sheets are some of there best)
Enjoy

Anyway good talking to you.

P.s. yeah I have heard the Chad everything sux and it was neat. kinda like hearing the lombardo all

It was probably both of us then. I watch my now ten month old all day and it's super distracting. In that long post it took me forever to even get that down as I was up chasing him at least a few times. I'd sit back down and go now what was I saying etc. I still like it but it's my least favorite of the three reunion albums. Everything sux is super solid and cool to be you though had some super highs as some of the songwriters were going through rough times. Divorce with she don't care and bills father being sick who he's never had a good relationship with to start with. I got to meet him once after a lemonheads show and he was exactly how I thought he'd be breaking down his own drums. Productiln on cool to be you also sounded super sweet. As to the production on up I agree about the sound of Milos voice I just can't say what it is for sure as I'm not a tech guy at all. I knkw they recorded some at the blasting room and some in a few home studios and I never think doing that is a good idea. It was solid overall but after ths, I felt super meaningful, cool to be you it just didn't have the emotional impact I was looking for. Funny kn a side note I was listen to some all even today. Allroy for prez and put pummle.

Just for fun here's my fave descendent's albums in order

Everything sux
Cool to be you
I don't wanna grow up
Goes to college
Hypercaffium spazinate
All (this ones tough as it has some of there best songs and some I just don't care that much for anymore. Allogistics, all no all, Impressions ,vanage etc just do t do it for me any more. I'd probably put it over the new one but I really rate album consistency . Pep talk cooladge clean sheets are some of there best)
Enjoy

Anyway good talking to you.

P.s. yeah I have heard the Chad everything sux and it was neat. kinda like hearing the lombardo all

Ooh, I haven't heard of the Lombardo All record. Unless you are talking about TonyAll (which I love).

My top four would be:

I don't want to grow up (unfair as side 2 is my fave record side ever)
Milo goes to College
Enjoy or All
All or Enjoy

I get you on the All album. Some of the greatest songs they ever recorded and a few that worked for the album time but do not hold up. Same as Enjoy.

Again, wonderful to meet a descendants fan on a morrissey site. Morrissey is the guy who got me off punk rock and is now the guy driving me back to it :p.

Ooh, I haven't heard of the Lombardo All record. Unless you are talking about TonyAll (which I love).

My top four would be:

I don't want to grow up (unfair as side 2 is my fave record side ever)
Milo goes to College
Enjoy or All
All or Enjoy

I get you on the All album. Some of the greatest songs they ever recorded and a few that worked for the album time but do not hold up. Same as Enjoy.

Again, wonderful to meet a descendants fan on a morrissey site. Morrissey is the guy who got me off punk rock and is now the guy driving me back to it :p.

Yeah I think I'm refering to the tony all. Some of the problem I have with Milo and some of the early albums is that I just don't relate as much to songs like parents or no fat beaver etc. Everything sux was was an adult perspective and musically still kick ass in that special descendent's way. I also really love stephen on guitar. His fast mix of lead and chords is just perfect for them though his song writing at times can be to mathy hard rock which I guess is more of an issue for all. He usually doesn't write many of the songs but funny enough the descendents seems to feature him a lot on the credits list for the new one and for the first time in a while bill and Karl seem to have written less. Bill was sick so maybe that's it. I know you're not an all fan but they were supposed to have an album all ready to go before Chad went to drag the river full time. I want to hear it badly. As for moz well I guess they have the Finn connection.

I found a new Descendents video on Youtube from December 1985. It is weeks before they became my favorite band.

The Descendents at Safari Sams in Huntington Beach. The show was less than 3 miles from my home.

It's my new fave youtube descendants video.

I believe Milo quit his job and the Descendents are his full-time thing. They played a lot of festivals this year so far. I saw one video where they ended their encore with Catalina and they did it like a b-side.

My initial thought was they changed the timing like Uranus (extra track on All). It sounded more All then Descendents. It is interesting.

I love that they are experimenting but if I was at the show I'd prefer Catalina note for note and something else reinterpreted.

WC

I found a new Descendents video on Youtube from December 1985. It is weeks before they became my favorite band.

The Descendents at Safari Sams in Huntington Beach. The show was less than 3 miles from my home.

It's my new fave youtube descendants video.

I believe Milo quit his job and the Descendents are his full-time thing. They played a lot of festivals this year so far. I saw one video where they ended their encore with Catalina and they did it like a b-side.

My initial thought was they changed the timing like Uranus (extra track on All). It sounded more All then Descendents. It is interesting.

I love that they are experimenting but if I was at the show I'd prefer Catalina note for note and something else reinterpreted.

WC

Cool. Catalina is a great one from the debut and the driving timing dynamics are a big part of its appeal. It's gotta be hard to keep all and the descenedents vibes separate at this point though. I was reading some comments about the new album and some were saying that a few songs sounded like they should have been all songs. The guys said they had an all album recorded and ready to go so it does make me wonder if they just reused some songs and made them descenedents songs. I don't know about him quitting his job. Last I heard about his work was that he was working for DuPont but that's been a while. They have been touring a lot. Wonder if he felt swayed to give it more time do to bills illness. I've been listening to a lot of all lately and it amazing to me sometimes how bill always rights the super catchy love song. I mean he did in the descendants days to but he really stepped it up with all. Breaking up, can't say (a fav of mine on the live album), long distance, silly me, Teresa and a ton more. I like that if people were to judge superficially, which is often the case, people might not think the awkward looking drummer is writting all the songs about love and love lost. He also wrote birthday I.o.u which is one of my fav all songs. It's hard for me to imagine you haven't given all a real listen. Give breaking things a try on a YouTube listen sometime. It's not gonna hit you like the descenedents obviously especially if you knew the descenedents from the first wave or if they were a part of your listening experience when young but there's a lot of cross over appeal and I like how they start tackling different topics as they grew into there thirties

Thanks for the advice.

I've been thinking about working through the All albums I haven't heard. I will do it based on your suggestion.

I love the All Live Plus One cd which I bought purely for the Descendents. Many of the songs you mentioned are on there.

I heard each cassette (ages me, I know) several times in friends' cars growing up. But none of them really stood out.

P.S. Have you ever heard of Big Drill Car?

Back
Top Bottom