Morrissey's Kit on YouTube

Kind of off-topic, but...

In terms of unreleased/unheard recordings, I find it unfortunate that Morrissey doesn't go with Indie labels and 'net activity for releasing unreleased stuff like this...

I imagine it'd be a really good way to spark interest and attention from major labels in terms of proper full-lengths and new singles... And there are countless Indie labels that would love the opportunity to put out a string of official 7" records for him... Have fans vote for ones they'd like released or some shit like that, IDK... He doesn't even have to do any of that through "DIY" routes or digital downloads; It's merely a means of making himself more of a presence in a (however unfortunate it may be) largely "digital" world of today.

To quote someone in a letter, I too dislike our modern "techo lifestyle" and make no efforts to be assimilated into it when possible, but Moz can't really expect to live forever in this idealized world of Pop charts and 45's if (much of) the rest of the world's moved on to downloading and ippids and whatnot. I mean, there has been the whole vinyl revival thing anyway, but people are still attached at the hip to smartphones and iPads and shit, so what better way to exploit this than by being more of a presence online?

IDK. I'm rambling here, so sorry if I sound incoherent. Snot-nosed brats, do your worst.

Last edited:
It's funny you mention Southpaw, because aside from the subject matter -- which is more Southpaw than Maladjusted -- Morrissey's vocals have the same feel as that album (which was partially recorded when he had a cold). I'm sure we're losing something in the ultra-compressed audio but nonetheless the vocal melody does not recall Maladjusted, where he often went for something more tuneful/bouncy.

Don’t get me wrong. It surely dates from 96/97. But it is the first time we get to hear unfinished or unproduced vocals from the Maladjusted period and I am a least a bit surprised. The opening lines are classic Ninieties-Morrissey but in the middle part (see my comparism with „Jesus“ above) he tries out the high notes like he loves to do nowadays. Quite untypical for this era on finished record that is.
Maybe Lillywhite had a final „No“ on the high notes. Remember the liner-notes to Southpaw, where Moz mentioned Lillywhite having a laugh on several vocal attempts?
I really love his voice on the whole Maladjusted album. It has a gentle, warm & sonic tone all over. Now I see how important Lillywhite was for creating that spezial sound (94-) 97. The released „Kit“ version hasn’t got that vibe. Maybe a nearly finished recording with all band members and a string section (like Boz said) has.

Anyway, I am discussing material never meant for an official release. Sorry, Moz! Just love your Nineties albums too much. :straightface:

Last edited:
Maybe the lyrics were too self-revelatory?
Who was 28 in 1997?
Or who would even "risk a smile for us" in 1997?

Still hoping (which is of course my only mistake) for:

Kit (full length)
I know who I love
The leeches go on removing
Hanratty
It's hard to walk tall when you're small (first version)

Come on, this odd old cassette from 1997 won't let you down if you share the rest.......whoever you are - whereever you are - whatever you are?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom