Morrissey's connection to Billy Idol

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
So does anyone know why Moz picked Billy Idol as his supporting act? I love Billy, but they are an unlikely match. Of course, they're both sprung from punk, they were both huge in the 80's, both vegetarian, both crooners. But still.

Having run into him in LA more than a few times as he lives in Los Angeles I will say Mr Idol is a right nice chap. So that can't explain it!

William Michael Albert Broad is a pescatarian, not a vegetarian and he wears leather. Steve and Will have been pals in L.A. since I can remember, but Will lives in the Hollywood Hills. I guess he can't afford Malibu like Steve.

Moz is a fan of Idol's old punk band Generation X.

So does anyone know why Moz picked Billy Idol as his supporting act? I love Billy, but they are an unlikely match. Of course, they're both sprung from punk, they were both huge in the 80's, both vegetarian, both crooners. But still.
He was spotted at an Idol gig in 2015, although I'm sure the Gen X thing ensured he'd known him a lot earlier.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...ol-concert-in-los-angeles-feb-18-2015.134221/

I'm still curious to see who the 'special guests' are as shown on the Palladium ticket I posted elsewhere.

Regards,
FWD.

He was spotted at an Idol gig in 2015, although I'm sure the Gen X thing ensured he'd known him a lot earlier.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...ol-concert-in-los-angeles-feb-18-2015.134221/

I'm still curious to see who the 'special guests' are as shown on the Palladium ticket I posted elsewhere.

Regards,
FWD.
Sure. They were contemporaries in the eighties. But I would never have guessed Moz as a fan of Idol's solo work. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic vocalist and he has made some great music, but he was always kind of rockist, wasn't he? Albeit with a pop sensibility that many other rockists lack.

I wish whoever interviews Moz next makes sure to ask him about Billy.

Last edited:
William Michael Albert Broad is a pescatarian, not a vegetarian and he wears leather. Steve and Will have been pals in L.A. since I can remember, but Will lives in the Hollywood Hills. I guess he can't afford Malibu like Steve.
That's not true, by the way.

Yes, it is true by the way and you're welcome. You foreigners never cease to amaze me with your rudeness and just wanting things without working for it and earning it.

Steve doesn't give a shit about Will's music and vice versa. They have been friends for a long time. They like the same things like racing jet skis off of Malibu and shopping on Rodeo Drive.

My theory is that Smash Hits used to refer to both as Greatest Living Englishmen back in the 19haties. Hence their affinity. Plus both moved to LA.

I'm sure I also read a rumour that Moz tried to be the singer for Generation X at some point?

Yes, it is true by the way and you're welcome. You foreigners never cease to amaze me with your rudeness and just wanting things without working for it and earning it.

Steve doesn't give a shit about Will's music and vice versa. They have been friends for a long time. They like the same things like racing jet skis off of Malibu and shopping on Rodeo Drive.
No, it isn't. I don't know why you feel the need to state inaccuracies. I guess you're delusional. But feel free to prove me wrong.

My theory is that Smash Hits used to refer to both as Greatest Living Englishmen back in the 19haties. Hence their affinity. Plus both moved to LA.

I'm sure I also read a rumour that Moz tried to be the singer for Generation X at some point?
Really? I didn't know that. Never heard the rumor about Gen X, though. It wasn't mentioned in Billy's autobiography.

Sure. They were contemporaries in the eighties. But I would never have guessed Moz as a fan of Idol's solo work. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic vocalist and he has made some great music, but he was always kind of rockist, wasn't he? Albeit with a pop sensibility that many other rockists lack.

I wish whoever interviews Moz next makes sure to ask him about Billy.

This is the first time I've ever seen the word "rockist." In the mid-nineties Morrissey's music, especially live, was a lot wilder than Billy Idol's music. But also like Aztec Camera says people become friends for other reasons than that they like each other's music.

This is the first time I've ever seen the word "rockist." In the mid-nineties Morrissey's music, especially live, was a lot wilder than Billy Idol's music. But also like Aztec Camera says people become friends for other reasons than that they like each other's music.
Google it. Or better yet:https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rockist

Sure they do, but I doubt that Moz would want to have a supporting act who's music he does not respect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom