Morrissey will never record another album?

I think he will release more albums, he seems to enjoy making music and is still creative, the last album was good I thought. I don't agree with or support a lot of his views but don't think they necessarily make him a bad guy, right wing groups seem to attract angry people and Morrissey seems like a very angry person.
There are no angrier bunch on the planet than the Left's SJW scolds and BLM culture destroyers.

Moz will write and record until his dying day, it's what he lives for. Whether he will be able to get the kind of record deals and airplay/exposure he once had is a different topic, but many artists limp on in their later years without filling stadiums.

I can't imagine a 'retired' Morrissey quietly slipping away from the public eye. He'd write another book, buy 10 cats, send out 500 drunken Central posts a day and just stir the pot ceaselessly.

You talk as if he's just a regular ageing pop star with a gradually declining fan base.
In 2018 he completed his biggest, most successful ever UK tour, solo or Smith (multiple arena dates, all at least two thirds full - had never happened before). Months before, his new album shifted 25,000 copies in Week 1.
Then... a massive collapse of the fanbase, the scale of which is unprecedented in musical history other than for Gary Glitter or Michael Jackson (the latter was already dead when the worst scandal broke). One of his most acclaimed albums in two decades released in 2020, and a paltry 6,000 sales. That's the reality. It's not an aging eccentric pop star with a gradually declining appeal we're dealing with. It's the mass haemorrhaging of an artist's fanbase at close to his commercial peak.

You talk as if he's just a regular ageing pop star with a gradually declining fan base.
In 2018 he completed his biggest, most successful ever UK tour, solo or Smith (multiple arena dates, all at least two thirds full - had never happened before). Months before, his new album shifted 25,000 copies in Week 1.
Then... a massive collapse of the fanbase, the scale of which is unprecedented in musical history other than for Gary Glitter or Michael Jackson (the latter was already dead when the worst scandal broke). One of his most acclaimed albums in two decades released in 2020, and a paltry 6,000 sales. That's the reality. It's not an aging eccentric pop star with a gradually declining appeal we're dealing with. It's the mass haemorrhaging of an artist's fanbase at close to his commercial peak.

He's got enough support to survive & considering how completely he's withdrawn from the media & how badly his social is managed, it's a miracle he's sold anything.

You’re the only one on here that says his fanbase is crumbling. Give it a rest, huh?

Here's the link to download and buy my new album on my website. See you on your. It's 2020.

Well, I think he still is, beyond the strange echo chamber of this site. Solo-ers are diehards who follow his every success and failure but that's not universal - I don't think casual fans give a damn about Central, shitty Photoshops, reissues of Southpaw Grammar, dissecting his sales figures and politicial opinions in minute detail, etc. His public image has always been that of a loudmouth twat and wind-up merchant and nothing much has changed, except he's now beloved by Daily Mail readers.

And beyond the hardcore fanbase, I think Moz has been a 'legacy' artist for a long time. Even 9/10 years ago when he was touring the UK, I saw large portions of the audience mumbling through the new stuff and only 'coming alive' at the Smiths material or the 'big' radio singles rather than the album cuts. He released two poor albums back to back (World Peace and LIHS) which probably didn't help the sales figures for Dog, either. The scandal has tarnished his name and damaged his standing as the hallowed 'elder statesman of indie', absolutely, but it will pass. In 2004 he became ridiculously 'fashionable' for a time; now he is deeply 'unfashionable' but he still has his place in history, and the Smiths are immortal. He has a core of fans who will always be there in some shape or form - but of course, it will never be enough for him.

Last edited:
Well, I think he still is, beyond the strange echo chamber of this site. Solo-ers are diehards who follow his every success and failure but that's not universal - I don't think casual fans give a damn about Central, shitty Photoshops, reissues of Southpaw Grammar, dissecting his sales figures and politicial opinions in minute detail, etc. His public image has always been that of a loudmouth twat and wind-up merchant and nothing much has changed, except he's now beloved by Daily Mail readers.

And beyond the hardcore fanbase, I think Moz has been a 'legacy' artist for a long time. Even 9/10 years ago when he was touring the UK, I saw large portions of the audience mumbling through the new stuff and only 'coming alive' at the Smiths material or the 'big' radio singles rather than the album cuts. He released two poor albums back to back (World Peace and LIHS) which probably didn't help the sales figures for Dog, either. The scandal has tarnished his name and damaged his standing as the hallowed 'elder statesman of indie', absolutely, but it will pass. In 2004 he became ridiculously 'fashionable' for a time; now he is deeply 'unfashionable' but he still has his place in history, and the Smiths are immortal. He has a core of fans who will always be there in some shape or form - but of course, it will never be enough for him.

"The scandal has tarnished his name and damaged his standing as the hallowed 'elder statesman of indie', absolutely, but it will pass."

Not this time.

He knows it.

There's a reason his bullshit hasn't been posted on Central.

His time has passed.

There are no angrier bunch on the planet than the Left's SJW scolds and BLM culture destroyers.

I think it very good to point out the sheer anger and hate in those protesting "hate".

I will add, though, that I see real hate these days on both the Left and the Right.

It scares me.

The original post on this thread scares me to death.

It feels as though George Orwell may have only been off by 36 years.

The way things are going, as reflected by that original post . . .

Well, Orwell's dystopia might be pretty accurate by 2024.

I think it very good to point out the sheer anger and hate in those protesting "hate".

I will add, though, that I see real hate these days on both the Left and the Right.

It scares me.

The original post on this thread scares me to death.

It feels as though George Orwell may have only been off by 36 years.

The way things are going, as reflected by that original post . . .

Well, Orwell's dystopia might be pretty accurate by 2024.
I actually couldn’t tell if the original start to this thread was meant to be taken seriously, or if it was a wind-up just posing as something the SJW cancel culture brigade might say.

Perhaps the fact that one can’t tell these days whether such a nonsense might be meant seriously is itself indicative of what a sad and scary place the culture is in.

none of us can see the future although the usual suspects claim to see well into the future.
you dont need a record deal to sell records,theres a few ways he could do it.

none of us can see the future although the usual suspects claim to see well into the future.
you dont need a record deal to sell records,theres a few ways he could do it.

But in all likelihood he won't. Like he stated in 2011, "My talents don't lie in the DIY". He has always demanded a major label contract with a big advance, and knowing how stubborn he is, he is not going to budge.

A few things to unpick here. Yes, he has a core of people who will follow him. But since urging people to vote for a far-right political party and declaring that he prefers his own race, that core has shrivelled massively from 50,000 to under 10,000 people willing to buy his albums (UK) which takes him well below the threshold of any serious record company deal. In the last 20 years, a record company just needed to know he had one or two decent songs on a new album, Radio 2 would get behind it, and the album should be safe for 50,000 sales (or over 300,000 for Quarry). Now, it doesn’t matter how good the demos are that he submits to record companies, they know the songs simply will not get played, as radio stations do not want to be associated with a far-right racist. That is a massive difference to his viability as a recording artist (which is what this thread is about).

In terms of a live act, since the Bona Drag era, whenever he plays a song off the latest album the large majority of people at the show won’t know it, and are waiting patiently until Suedehead or How Soon or whatever. That has been the case for 30 years, not the last 10. Most people there don’t care about his latest stuff – they wanna hear The Smiths. And they also don’t care which political party he supports, or whether he prefers his own race (and yes, most of the squabbles round here are meaningless). They wanna hear those amazing Smiths songs. It’s like when I go to see a band like The Cure. Never bought a Cure album but I know and like around ten of their singles. Couldn’t care less about Robert Smith’s political views. Just like seeing The Cure for a bit of 80s indie nostalgia, like most of the people at a Morrissey concert.

Morrissey has actually lost a big chunk of his live audience, maybe half in the UK, but it hasn't disappeared completely and never will (two half full arena shows earlier this year). He can still play reasonably sized venues around the world, as the decline is much smaller outside the UK - elsewhere, his idiotic political statements did not get widely reported (hence the likes of Green Day recently saying they had no idea of his politics when they agreed to the duet). And he is not currently ‘unfashionable’ like he was in the late 90s, and therefore able to bounce back at any given moment. He is (widely considered to be) a deeply unpleasant, far-right racist, and there is a massive difference between the two.

But in all likelihood he won't. Like he stated in 2011, "My talents don't lie in the DIY". He has always demanded a major label contract with a big advance, and knowing how stubborn he is, he is not going to budge.

What labels are left that do this that he hasn't burned through already? Who will put up money for Morrissey 2020?

I agree that he probably won't change his thinking, but it goes without saying that the the music industry has been turned on its head - yet again - since 2011. Whenever I buy a physical copy of any album these days (and I still do), I don't even open it. For better or for worse, it's all about streaming now. Even buying an MP3 feels old fashion.

Morrissey isn't selling enough albums in 2020 to keep him rich. His money, like most artists, is in live shows these days. Unfortunately, that market is all dried up at the moment due to the virus and probably won't be viable until 2021 at the earliest.

Back
Top Bottom