Morrissey refuses to participate in press conference for Nobel concert (in Norwegian)

Re: Morrissey Refuses to participate in press conference for Nobel concert (in Norwegian)

Perhaps he will show up to see Linder Sterling in Oslo on Thursday instead: nymusikk.no/no/hva-skjer/linder-sterling

Although I really don't have the impulse control to not eat dairy and to a lesser extent eggs, I do my best to cut most of it out on my diet. It's all about making an effort in my book. I'm not militant and thinking you should have to stop but try to help a bit.

But you do consume some animals products? If you consume some as well, how do you get past, your conscience telling you it is wrong? You seen to justify dairy but not meat. Just like Moz. But you agree that the dairy industry is just as bad for the environment and causes as much suffering to animals as the meat industry. They are pretty much co-existent. I know you see it as a continuum of sorts, much like I do. But it seems wrong to moralize--which you do, even if you can't see it--if you are also not vegan.

No, I do not justify dairy products, but I still do consume some. I am flawed. You original post stated that Morrissey must be vegan due to his stature as one of the most visible, outspoken animal activists of the current age. I am, as you say, a mere human, and I am merely a vegetarian who will not prepare animal products and keeps vegan most of the time.

As for the notion that one must be vegan to speak out against animal cruelty, that is as specious and misguided as saying that only someone who spins their own cloth can speak out against child and slave labor (both of which probably contributed to the clothing on your back right now). We all do what we can, and hope to become greater than we are. I take an active stance for anti-cruely laws and against ag-gag laws by supporting those in the thick of the political fight and raising awareness. I do as much as any citizen can to ensure that animals that are slaughtered for food are treated as humanely as possible before their brief lives are taken.

Those that sit back and do nothing are in no position to moralize. Those that do everything have a right to ask me to do more.

No, I do not justify dairy products, but I still do consume some. I am flawed. You original post stated that Morrissey must be vegan due to his stature as one of the most visible, outspoken animal activists of the current age. I am, as you say, a mere human, and I am merely a vegetarian who will not prepare animal products and keeps vegan most of the time.

As for the notion that one must be vegan to speak out against animal cruelty, that is as specious and misguided as saying that only someone who spins their own cloth can speak out against child and slave labor (both of which probably contributed to the clothing on your back right now). We all do what we can, and hope to become greater than we are. I take an active stance for anti-cruely laws and against ag-gag laws by supporting those in the thick of the political fight and raising awareness. I do as much as any citizen can to ensure that animals that are slaughtered for food are treated as humanely as possible before their brief lives are taken.

Those that sit back and do nothing are in no position to moralize. Those that do everything have a right to ask me to do more.

No, I don't believe one needs to be vegan or even vegetarian to speak out against animal cruelty. I speak out against Sea World and other animal theme parks. I don't feel hypocritical either, as I am informing people of the horrors of keeping marine and other animal life captive, for the purposes of entertainment. Which seems even more unnecessary than eating animal flesh to sustain human life. But I don't shame people for their choices or claim to be closer to humanity or more consciously aware, because I boycott these institutions and they don't. That was all I meant by that.

I am glad you are an activist and not just preaching from the arm chair in your living room. Most vegetarians I know are activists. It goes with the territory. They are very passionate about their views. And want to change things.

But yeah, if you are going to do it, why not go all the way? That is just how I see it. But as a layperson, you are not required to be 100% authentic. As a global spokesperson, you are. Moz is doing it half-assed. His Meat is Murder video shtick is a little silly, for when you pull back the curtain, you see that Wizard that is Moz has a yoghurt in one hand and a milkshake in the other.

No, I don't believe one needs to be vegan or even vegetarian to speak out against animal cruelty. I speak out against Sea World and other animal theme parks. I don't feel hypocritical either, as I am informing people of the horrors of keeping marine and other animal life captive, for the purposes of entertainment. Which seems even more unnecessary than eating animal flesh to sustain human life. But I don't shame people for their choices or claim to be closer to humanity or more consciously aware, because I boycott these institutions and they don't. That was all I meant by that.

I am glad you are an activist and not just preaching from the arm chair in your living room. Most vegetarians I know are activists. It goes with the territory. They are very passionate about their views. And want to change things.

Good, I'm glad we agree.

But yeah, if you are going to do it, why not go all the way? That is just how I see it. But as a layperson, you are not required to be 100% authentic. As a global spokesperson, you are. Moz is doing it half-assed. His Meat is Murder video shtick is a little silly, for when you pull back the curtain, you see that Wizard that is Moz has a yoghurt in one hand and a milkshake in the other.

Again, we agree - Morrissey should take it all the way. I do like the Meat is Murder video - I think it is not only effective, it is an artistic high-point in his set. I feel it. When you pull back the curtain what you see is a terribly flawed human being who once really did win hearts and minds. He's a singularly gifted artist who lives a life that very few can even imagine. I do wish that he was vegan, I am greatly disappointed by his misguided public pronouncements, but I agree with his cause.

Good, I'm glad we agree.

Again, we agree - Morrissey should take it all the way. I do like the Meat is Murder video - I think it is not only effective, it is an artistic high-point in his set. I feel it. When you pull back the curtain what you see is a terribly flawed human being who once really did win hearts and minds. He's a singularly gifted artist who lives a life that very few can even imagine. I do wish that he was vegan, I am greatly disappointed by his misguided public pronouncements, but I agree with his cause.

Beautifully said. :flowers:

My final comment on Morrissey, a minor poet, great singer and absurd troll. And his co-dependent Stockholm Syndrome 'fan' cult.

Are the cows in this film for dairy or meat? Dairy. I'll use this footage and images of Morrissey in a film about the Boomer lies of pop culture 'going forward'.

http://www.minds.com/blog/view/201538/quite-possibly-the-most-eye-opening-six-minutes-ever-on-film

Goodbye.

And good luck in the turbulent years ahead.

BrummieBoy

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Are you on autopilot? Every single post of yours has become predictable. Stalk Johnny and Brummie around the General Discussion forum, then respond to all their posts--even ones that are not directed at you--with redundant, repetitive, mundane, ad hominem attacks. Your posts read like they are being generating from a robot.

Are you on autopilot? Every single post of yours has become predictable. Stalk Johnny and Brummie around the General Discussion forum, then respond to all their posts--even ones that are not directed at you--with redundant, repetitive, mundane, ad hominem attacks. Your posts read like they are being generating from a robot.

You've just described exactly what they do. I think if BB posts (yet another) grandiose, "farewell" note to the site then I am entitled to comment on it. Obviously, it was an ironic comment, because I know full well he/she/it will return.

Last edited:
You've just described exactly what they do. I think if BB posts (yet another) grandiose, "farewell" note to the site then I am entitled to comment on it.

I realize that. But why are you mimicking the behaviors of those who irritate you? You are a smart guy. I have read some of your untethered-to-them posts. I hate to see your avatar and then avoid reading your posts because I am assuming they are just going to be vacuous ad hominems.

I am not saying I am not guilty of making such posts. I am. But I have my own pet troll, who follows me around this website, baiting me. Are they baiting YOU? Engaging YOU? Thus, compelling YOU, personally, to respond? I don't see that happening.

I realize that. But why are you mimicking the behaviors of those who irritate you? You are a smart guy. I have read some of your untethered-to-them posts. I hate to see your avatar and then avoid reading your posts because I am assuming they are just going to be vacuous ad hominems.

I am not saying I am not guilty of making such posts. I am. But I have my own pet troll, who follows me around this website, baiting me. Are they baiting YOU? Engaging YOU? Thus, compelling YOU, personally, to respond? I don't see that happening.

Fair enough, as someone once said. I try to ignore them but they can be somewhat difficult to avoid - and once read it's hard not to find yourself sucked into their world. But I think you're probably right and I appreciate your candour. I prefer myself without them, as it were.

Fair enough, as someone once said. I try to ignore them but they can be somewhat difficult to avoid - and once read it's hard not to find yourself sucked into their world. But I think you're probably right and I appreciate your candour. I prefer myself without them, as it were.

Yes. You look better outside their shadows. :)

And thanks for replying with kindness.

You and RB have made some very strong points. I have been a vegetarian since I was 9 and a vegan for about 10 years; for the record, I love to cook and have found ways to make a variety of meals that make even non-vegetarians happy. For me, I feel that I just couldn't live with myself if I intentionally contributed to the suffering or death of any animal. That being said, it isn't easy for everyone to live a vegan lifestyle; this is a philosophy that is a very personal choice. I will definitely tell people my views on the subject when they ask, but I learned long ago that you cannot brow beat people into agreeing with you, on any issue. If you attack them and insult them, they will just dig in their heels and refuse to listen. This is where Morrissey makes a crucial mistake. He should try to inspire, educate, and persuade with his words; taking such a militant approach doesn't always help the cause. I also agree with you that if you are going to make such strong public statements, you have to make sure that your own lifestyle is beyond reproach. That would mean no dairy, no leather trim in your car, no wool coats, etc. For the record, I think Johnny Marr recently said his favorite brand of shoes are Clarks, which are definitely leather; if this is true, he really shouldn't be calling himself a vegan.

lynnda

You and RB have made some very strong points. I have been a vegetarian since I was 9 and a vegan for about 10 years; for the record, I love to cook and have found ways to make a variety of meals that make even non-vegetarians happy. For me, I feel that I just couldn't live with myself if I intentionally contributed to the suffering or death of any animal. That being said, it isn't easy for everyone to live a vegan lifestyle; this is a philosophy that is a very personal choice. I will definitely tell people my views on the subject when they ask, but I learned long ago that you cannot brow beat people into agreeing with you, on any issue. If you attack them and insult them, they will just dig in their heels and refuse to listen. This is where Morrissey makes a crucial mistake. He should try to inspire, educate, and persuade with his words; taking such a militant approach doesn't always help the cause. I also agree with you that if you are going to make such strong public statements, you have to make sure that your own lifestyle is beyond reproach. That would mean no dairy, no leather trim in your car, no wool coats, etc. For the record, I think Johnny Marr recently said his favorite brand of shoes are Clarks, which are definitely leather; if this is true, he really shouldn't be calling himself a vegan.

lynnda

Do you take any form of medicine? Use matches? Eat bread?

lynnda

I think this is my fave post of yours. And not because of the name drop. :D I particularly like the bold text parts. I will never be a vegan, in that, I would never be able to give up all those things you mentioned, which this 'philosophy' requires one to abstain from.

it's easy to avoid, you just put me on ignore, but you can't stop sniffing my balls, can you?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. You look better outside their shadows. :)

And thanks for replying with kindness.

can't wait for CG to respond with kindness, triggering another one of you rmeltdowns.
oh, the LOLs!

I think this is my fave post of yours. And not because of the name drop. :D I particularly like the bold text parts. I will never be a vegan, in that, I would never be able to give up all those things you mentioned, which this 'philosophy' requires one to abstain from.

Leather's pretty irrelevant as it's a by-product of the meat/dairy torture slaughter food system. get rid of that and leather becomes a rare roadkill luxury. once an animals killed for food, what happens to its' skin isn't of much concern to it. Leather demand comes from the product lifestyle of meat and dairy, it's a subtle but important point. Animals wouldn't be economic to raise purely for leather. edit: i don't wear leather other than a few belts which my father left to me and his old school satchell.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom