"Morrissey: lunatic seer of the modern world" - Unherd (May, 6, 2020)

It's a good article.

UnHerd isn't far right - if anyone's wondering - it's for opinions that don't fit neatly into left or right silos.

& Gareth is a gay writer who got cancelled for transphobia. He's not transphobic, he just thinks we should be able to talk about biological sex.

Enjoyed this article very much, not sycophantic back patting or blind devotee nonsense, but a considered and affectionate look at Moz. Especially enjoyed the bit where he mentioned Morrissey has told us all since ‘83 what he’s like, we shouldn’t be surprised.

Enjoyed this article very much, not sycophantic back patting or blind devotee nonsense, but a considered and affectionate look at Moz. Especially enjoyed the bit where he mentioned Morrissey has told us all since ‘83 what he’s like, we shouldn’t be surprised.

Yeah. It's lovely to read something that doesn't make Moz angelic or demonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
‘But when Morrissey lamented in 2007 that “England is a memory now, the gates are flooded and anybody can join in” they fainted clean away over a stack of Belle & Sebastian CDs.’

Brilliant.

"In his own strange way, for how could it be other than strange, Morrissey was a post-liberal before anybody else really cottoned on, and this from someone regarded commonly as stuck in 1954."

Quite possibly the most intelligently written article about Stephen Patrick I have come across in a long while. Admittedly a hard nut to crack, Gareth Roberts strikes the nail straight on its head.

Last edited:
Morrissey: Press baiter.
Topics: Controversial subjects in the real world he personally knows nothing about.
Aim: To garner press inches.

That's one of the smartest Morrissey pieces I've read in a while. (Although surely the Universal Basic Income line re "it owes me a living" is a stretch too far!) And it could have addressed the Spacey / Weinstein comments. But on the whole, perceptive and wise writing.

It’s also interesting, and often very funny, to see the reactions of former disciples of the posher, ‘indie fan’ variety, when he says something outrageous but which they don’t like, to the point they get huffy and disown him.

This.

Morrissey: Press baiter.
Topics: Controversial subjects in the real world he personally knows nothing about.
Aim: To garner press inches.
Well, he has certainly got your attention. You are on here every day being 'edgy' with your comments and getting on your knees in front of Skinny (which is kind of you - he could use the attention). If you don't like Morrissey, just go away...it really is that simple. Life could end at any second, why waste it?

hoist me from the herd ....

:cool:

‘But when Morrissey lamented in 2007 that “England is a memory now, the gates are flooded and anybody can join in” they fainted clean away over a stack of Belle & Sebastian CDs.’

Brilliant.

And it's true! I didn't notice then, but I saw it for THE PIN.

I'd call it a badge but I'm hoping someone will use the title 'Morrissey: From Panic to The Pin', when writing about this mess.

Brilliant.
This is actually a very accurate point as it definitely is the Belle and Sebastian type of Moz fans that have dropped off and bleated the most. Very good observation by the writer.

This is actually a very accurate point as it definitely is the Belle and Sebastian type of Moz fans that have dropped off and bleated the most. Very good observation by the writer.
Yes. My son was into Morrissey and Belle and Sebastian—thanks to my record collection. Since starting secondary school, he now only likes B&S and Looper. I blame the teachers myself.

The site is funded by Paul Marshall, a pro-Brexit investor. He is the chairman of one of Europe’s biggest hedge-fund groups, Marshall Wace, and chair of the Ark chain of academy schools.

The site is funded by Paul Marshall, a pro-Brexit investor. He is the chairman of one of Europe’s biggest hedge-fund groups, Marshall Wace, and chair of the Ark chain of academy schools.
Meaning what, exactly? That editorial power is exercised?

‘The Guardian is not owned by a trust at all. In 2008, “the trust was replaced with a limited company” that was accordingly re-named “The Scott Trust Limited.” Though not a trust at all, but simply a profit-making company, it is still referred to frequently as ‘The Scott Trust,’ promulgating the widely-held but mistaken belief in the Guardian’s inherently benign ownership structure. … The problem, of course, is that the Guardian functions under the same sort of corporate structure as any other major media company.’

Welcome to life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. My son was into Morrissey and Belle and Sebastian—thanks to my record collection. Since starting secondary school, he now only likes B&S and Looper. I blame the teachers myself.

If You're Feeling Sinister was turned into a play (with songs) & the audience was drippy even by theatre standards.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom