Morrissey interview in Metro (NY) to be published Thursday; quote on recent Smiths reunion rumors

UPDATE 11:55 AM PT:

Interview published early - link posted by an anonymous person

"If people continue to ask that question now — which they do, then they shall never stop, and they shall never stop because they don't understand the history of the band. Asking about a Smiths reformation is no different to driving into fog."

"The Smiths are NEVER getting back together ~ ever! "

~ from the thoroughbred's mouth, so to speak, this week ...

Morrissey says there will be no Smiths reunion at Glastonbury or anywhere - Metro / New York

Excerpt:

Throughout the course of an e-mail interview, which will run in its entirety on Thursday on this site, Morrissey discussed his upcoming autobiography.

...Be sure to check back with Metro on Thursday to read about Morrissey's favorite cover of one of his songs, what will be written on his gravestone, how his shirtless-ness is different from Iggy Pop's and his further thoughts on the royal family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey interview in Metro (NY) to be published Thursday; quote on rec

Good to hear this repudiated so strongly once more. The Smiths left a pristine legacy and it should not be sullied.

I totally agree with you , the past is ...the past.
Cheers Moz

A disappointing interview I thought. There have been better ones this year. To compare the Royal Family to the Third Reich is leading himself into danger and grossly inaccurate.

Re: Article: Morrissey interview in Metro (NY) to be published Thursday; quote on rec

A disappointing interview I thought. There have been better ones this year. To compare the Royal Family to the Third Reich is leading himself into danger and grossly inaccurate.

I agree. The British media is not prevented by law from criticizing the Royals. It simply chooses not to because it deems them as a scared cow. If it were indeed a Third Reich, the media and all culture would be under the control of the Royals and there would be no free press. As usual, Morrissey colorfully exaggerates to get a rise out of the readers. But being that his responses came from the man himself, he cannot back pedal here or claim his words were twisted and misinterpreted.

How many times have we been here? Shows/release coming up, say something a wee bit outre to garner comments, name in newspapers, blah-de-blah. Give him his due though, you don't see Jedward saying they're going to shit on the Union Flag, though that would be spectacular.

P.

well. if the man who played drums is reading this the - surrounded by fog or not - we know it's over.
Thank god.

The new band are better than The Smiths and always have been. Sorry as I appreciated that this statement may ruin someones dreams or distorted memory of a night out in 198x rolling around the dancehall at the indie disco or looking up to a stage with a young man wearing dark and geeky glasses but it is over.

That bloke who.played drums really f***ed-it-up big style and although he had his day in court, look whose laughing now. Yes, that means you stupid.

Laughing Anne
x

The new band are better than The Smiths and always have been.
x

A delicious piece of trolling but still one of the stupidest comments I have ever seen on the net, and I visit reddit several times a week.

I grabbed a copy of Metro on the way into the subway this morning, and the text of the printed edition is the same as the link posted here. The photo is one of the orange-tossing shots taken from the back of a food truck.

If anyone would like a copy of this newspaper (which, bizarrely, consists today mostly of what Richard Branson thinks about things) PM me your address and I'll send mine to the first taker.

How many times have we been here? Shows/release coming up, say something a wee bit outre to garner comments, name in newspapers, blah-de-blah. Give him his due though, you don't see Jedward saying they're going to shit on the Union Flag, though that would be spectacular.

P.

Jedward are from Dublin so coming out as staunch Republicans would be moderately interesting,though defecating on the flag of their biggest audience might not help their career.

Morrissey reduces himself to a laughing stock with his Third Reich bizarro quote. He's trashing everything in his career dotage, almost as if he's trying to out-troll himself with ridiculous statements. Next, some nonsense to troll the US Elections. If he had gone to Thailand and openly been anti-Royal that would have been interesting given their lese majeste laws, but I doubt he'd have the guts for a spell in the Bangkok Hilton. The idea that Morrissey is any kind of 'threat' to the British Establishment is now simply childish.

When Morrissey pranced about at Finsbury Park I wondered then if he even knew the provenance and meaning of the flag he provoctively draped himself in for short-term sensationalism. The flag of Subjects not Citizens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Of course, if Morrissey was as 'intelligent' and well-read as he claims, he'd have realized there were other choices which might more accurately reflect his somewhat obscure reading of British history:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb}rep.html

With this risible interview Morrissey once more gets on a soapbox at Speaker's Corner and proclaims he is....a bit dense, despite having a melodious voice and a waning skill with words and vocal melodies.

regards
BB

The Smiths, Morrissey with Marr, would be an amazing concert experience. It's amazing to hear Johnny play The Smiths songs live, just beautiful. The best lineup would be Morrissey, Marr, Craig Gannon, Andy, and if possible Mike. But if the hatchet cannot be buried, bring Spencer back in Mike's place. If you truly love The Smiths, how could you be opposed to them getting back together for a few amazing shows? In a few more years, it will be too late unfortunately.

Mmmmm. Well now there is another idiot above. BB and thankfully not that BB who has class and style and a mega set of guitars.

Alongside Joyce - not James Joyce - they form a perfect pair of tits.

I can feel a song coming on.... "REJECTION IS ONE THING BUT REJECTION FROM A FOOL IS CRUEL"

It is true that The Smiths died in a Chip Shop.
It was sad how Joyce tainted all of those days and special nights and swapped them all for a court battle that he would never recover from. Joyce - who seemed to survive through that period on legal aid - displayed not a single moment of loyalty nor vision. Just shit and sadness.
Very unbelievable he was.

"You pleaded and squealed
And you think you've won
But Sorrow will come
To you in the end "

Oh Yes !

Entering 2013, we know The Smiths will never reform. Thank God. We know BB (above) is not real nor that he knows nor digests what he can read in papers that we know are already published by fools. Perhaps his dense words will give him an opportunity to refect and re-think but i doubt it. Madness and reasoning with idiots is daft and a total waste of time.

With regard to my earlier comment "The new band are better than The Smiths and always have been" - Perhaps my original comment somewhat over-simplified the position. What I meant was that Johnny Marr was and still is, a great guitarist. Morrissey was and still is, an amazing singer and lyricist.
But the other two - or sometimes three - were a total waste of space and it's true, they could have easily been replaced by session musicians.
Someone like Wayne Hussey, Ian McCulloch or Mark E Smith could have played drums better. Can you imagine that. One of the girls from Strawberry Switchblade on drums. Awesome.

"You pleaded and squealed. And you think you've won. But Sorrow will come to you in the end " - Marvelous. That comments says it all. Very Sad but very true:

The Smiths - RIP.

Laughing Anne
x

The Smiths, Morrissey with Marr, would be an amazing concert experience. It's amazing to hear Johnny play The Smiths songs live, just beautiful. The best lineup would be Morrissey, Marr, Craig Gannon, Andy, and if possible Mike. But if the hatchet cannot be buried, bring Spencer back in Mike's place. If you truly love The Smiths, how could you be opposed to them getting back together for a few amazing shows? In a few more years, it will be too late unfortunately.
Morrissey hates both Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce there is no way he would work with either of them again. In fact Rourke has been more rude about Morrissey than Joyce has. Joyce stays pretty quiet and has good memories of The Smiths.

Are Laughing Annie and Brummie Boy the same person?

If somebody rubbishes Andy's work in The Smiths their opinion probably isn't worth airing. Even Morrissey, when not feeling bitter, is lavish in his praise.

As much as I'd love to see The Smiths live it really would just be a bunch of old men cashing in and so would be pointless.

Either way, The Smiths are the greatest band that ever existed meaning that Morrissey's current band can't be better, it's impossible :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom