Morrissey and Elvis Similarities Live

Over the past week i've been watching a few Elvis Concerts on BBC 2, The '68 comeback speacial and Live from Hawaii.

I noticed that both Moz and Elvis seem to have many things similar, the way the hold the microphone, the way they move about the stage, the interaction with the audience between songs, the shaking of hands with the audience and the staring whilst singing directly at the audience.

anyone else think the same

All I can say is my mom, who is possibly the world's most devoted Elvis fan, always says that Morrissey reminds her of Elvis whenever she sees him on TV. There is no higher praise, coming from her. :thumb:

I watched them too and felt they had (have for our Morrissey) the stature and charisma to dominate the stage yet still seem down to earth. Some artists put a great deal of love and passion into their songs (sing their hearts out) there's an emotional connection with the audience. your eyes are drawn to Morrissey, transfixed.

They are both also very handsome:D

i cant say ive seen any other artists who seem to be in love with the stage like Elvis and Moz, like moz once said in an interview, he comes to see the audience.

Ive seen many artists live but none come close to Moz with their interaction with the crowd, like you say lainey he dominates the stage but is still down to earth.
Like when i see some artists they just stare into the audience and seem to have a glaced look in their eyes, as if they are trying to block the audience out

oh and I saw the likeness more in The '68 comeback speacial. I enjoyed the Elvis concert, he hasn't been over played in this country.
I'm very upset about The Beatles, who I love have sold out! Adverts, Rock Band crap, The X factor final (I didn't watch, strictly fan) it's so sad as I thought they were better than that.

i cant say ive seen any other artists who seem to be in love with the stage like Elvis and Moz, like moz once said in an interview, he comes to see the audience.

Ive seen many artists live but none come close to Moz with their interaction with the crowd, like you say lainey he dominates the stage but is still down to earth.
Like when i see some artists they just stare into the audience and seem to have a glaced look in their eyes, as if they are trying to block the audience out

Liam Gallagher does this (seen too many concerts) at first you think it cool but there is no response from him to may you want to like him. If he was singing to two people or 200,00 it will be the same act. maybe it's bravado as he's nice to the fans off the stage.

oh and I saw the likeness more in The '68 comeback speacial. I enjoyed the Elvis concert, he hasn't been over played in this country.
I'm very upset about The Beatles, who I love have sold out! Adverts, Rock Band crap, The X factor final (I didn't watch, strictly fan) it's so sad as I thought they were better than that.

i think elvis music speaks for itself though, he is the king of music and i dont think anybody, no matter what your taste can deny that.
The Beatles thing though is just record companies trying to make £$£$£ out of their music. I love the beatles but think it would be a lot different if John was still alive?

I agree with everything all of you said.

And also, they're both crooners, they have/had quiffs and don't forget the lighting of Mozzers name on stage in 2004... :) Straight from the 68 Comeback.

Btw, I adore Elvis. He was one of a kind.

Liam Gallagher does this (seen too many concerts) at first you think it cool but there is no response from him to may you want to like him. If he was singing to two people or 200,00 it will be the same act. maybe it's bravado as he's nice to the fans off the stage.

I was about to say something about liam gallagher. At heaton park, he came down to the front and shook all the front rows hands(mine included) but like you say there is no responce. When i saw oasis at the echo arena:)tears:still bad memories of moz) he again didnt really look like he was reacting to the crowd, but i think with liam though it is the "cool manc"

And also, they're both crooners, they have/had quiffs and don't forget the lighting of Mozzers name on stage in 2004... :) Straight from the 68 Comeback.

quite right, forgot to mention that, and great picture(it is ken williams right?):thumb:

Over the past week i've been watching a few Elvis Concerts on BBC 2, The '68 comeback speacial and Live from Hawaii.

I noticed that both Moz and Elvis seem to have many things similar, the way the hold the microphone, the way they move about the stage, the interaction with the audience between songs, the shaking of hands with the audience and the staring whilst singing directly at the audience.

I'm so glad I am not alone in this:guitar::guitar:

I have only been a fanatic of two singers in my life. One was Elvis and now Morrissey. Because I know Elvis inside and out, I am always seeing things watching Moz live that remind me of Elvis.

I also have been watching the tribute programmes on the TV and actually played this scene back on my V box and took a photo of the screen. I dont actually ever remember seeing Elvis lying down during a concert, so this really caught my attention.

Its a crappy picture but you get my meaning?

th_P1010303.jpg

Don't forget that Morrissey wore a black PVC jumpsuit a few times on the Oye Esteban tour; a nod to the leather suit from the '68 comeback special.

Last edited:
I wish morrissey would give us his views on Presley. I know he likes him very much.

I once heard a story about how this girl met Morrissey and he was singing "it's now or nevEr"

Elvis also used to frequently change the lyrics to songs on stage, which I think is where Morrissey may have got the idea from.

Elvis also used to frequently change the lyrics to songs on stage, which I think is where Morrissey may have got the idea from.

I hadn't noticed that Elvis changed his lyrics, but when I watched Aloha from Hawaii the other night I noticed that he made himself laugh during Suspicious Minds when after the line "I've never lied to you" he says "No, not much" . LOL. Very playful. Very admirable. Very attractive.

Oh, and the line "I hope this suit don't tear up baby" when doing a stretch shows he didn't take himself too seriously.

quite right, forgot to mention that, and great picture(it is ken williams right?):thumb:
It is Mr. Williams, yes. At a very tender age, I believe. I'm starting to become quite a fan of his.

I hadn't noticed that Elvis changed his lyrics, but when I watched Aloha from Hawaii the other night I noticed that he made himself laugh during Suspicious Minds when after the line "I've never lied to you" he says "No, not much" . LOL. Very playful. Very admirable. Very attractive.

Oh, and the line "I hope this suit don't tear up baby" when doing a stretch shows he didn't take himself too seriously.

I have to agree totally on what you say here. I've noticed this similarity and I've always enjoyed it.

Yes,I watched this at the weekend...what a gig that 68 special was.I noticed something I hadn't before,which was that between songs Elvis was doing some matador mike whipping...pretty slick too.:cool:

Nice tangent on the old Morrissey/Elvis comparisons.

In a way Morrissey comes much closer to Elvis than the best impersonator ever could because aside from the quiff, the croon, and some of the dance moves it's more about what he means to the audience and what they mean to him.

The Quarry era was only really a "comeback" if you weren't following Morrissey in the interim (like all of us here), but the big red stage letters said it all. Morrissey's '68 comeback-like PVC outfit was '99 though!

I dont actually ever remember seeing Elvis lying down during a concert, so this really caught my attention.

Its a crappy picture but you get my meaning?

th_P1010303.jpg

Yes, i too was struck by the lying down and listening to the band similarity with Moz

elvis.jpg

Wonder when Morrissey will take up karate ?

All I can say is my mom, who is possibly the world's most devoted Elvis fan, always says that Morrissey reminds her of Elvis whenever she sees him on TV. There is no higher praise, coming from her. :thumb:

wow :thumb: very cool.

Also, any southamericans around who know Sandro? I would compare Morrissey to Sandro a lot, but Sandro has been called Argentina's Elvis...

Back
Top Bottom