Mars continues to fund deadly animal tests

Before stocking up on candy this Halloween, you should know that chocolate-maker Mars Inc.—creator of M&M's, Snickers, and other candies—continues to fund deadly animal tests!

Mars has funded cruel experiments in which mice were fed a candy ingredient and forced to swim in a pool of paint. The mice had to find a platform to try to avoid drowning, only to be later killed and dissected. In another gruesome experiment supported by Mars, rats were fed cocoa and then sedated with carbon dioxide so that blood could be collected through a needle that punctured their hearts!

Mars' top competitor, Hershey's, has pledged to PETA that it will not fund or conduct experiments on animals. Please urge Mars to follow Hershey's lead and immediately end all support for animal tests!

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/mars_testing_peta2?c=p2m80

Thanks for everything you do for animals!

Sincerely,

Pulin Modi
Senior Street Team Coordinator
peta2
[email protected]

Famous PETA lies :

We all know that PETA is quite possibly the most annoying and certainly the most arrogant of all the leftist groups currently attempting to alter our way of life. However, I doubt that outside of a few nosy people and former PETA employees anyone knows how they care for homeless pets in Hampton Roads, Virginia (their headquarters, right)...They kill them!

That's right, this warm fuzzy bastion of animal rights kills every once beloved family pet who has the misfortune of being carried through PETA's doors. People take animals to PETA instead of local shelters because they believe that they will be placed into a home and will not be put down. Unlike local animal shelters, PETA doesn't even bother trying to find homes for these pets. All of them are killed within a few hours. In fact, PETA has gone through several area vets, and they refused to euthanize healthy animals. Finally PETA constructed their own facilities for this practice.

A former PETA employee spoke of one particular incident that burned into her mind forever: A teary-eyed man showed up at PETA headquarters one day with his beloved pet rabbit. The man had grown old and sick and was no longer able to care properly for his friend. He supplied a cage, bed, toys, and even vet records for this pet. He was assured by PETA workers that they would take "good care" of his rabbit and find him a home. The man left distraught but no doubt believing that his friend would be able to live out the rest of his life in a loving, compassionate home...PETA workers carried him to the 'death house' immediately and ended his life!

PETA doesn't stop with animals who are dropped off at their facility. No, they actively seek out animals throughout the community to kill. PETA sets traps to catch roaming animals all over Hampton Roads. These traps are designed to catch cats, many of these are not just strays but people's pets. They have even ventured onto a local federal installation, where they captured dozens of cats and immediately killed them. The cats at this particular facility were living in a 'feral cat colony'. They were well fed, spayed and neutered, and received regular veterinary care at the expense of the government workers. PETA in their renowned arrogance decided that they knew better and illegally entered the installation several times, stole these people's cats and ended their lives.

PETA employees and volunteers regularly enter private property to capture animals, which according to former PETA employees are often times people's pets - someone's cat out for a midnight stroll or even just sitting in their owner's yard! Car loads of cats are regularly brought to PETA headquarters by employees and volunteers whose job it is to 'round them up'. One such volunteer has brought in hundreds of cats, many wearing tags bearing the name and address of their owner. The animals are loaded into a small storage shed, where they sometimes sit for several hours in the heat and cold...awaiting their date with the executioner.

We have all seen the outrageous costumes worn by PETA wackos. As an example of just how callous and truly bizarre these people truly are, two of the employees who perform the euthanizations came to a PETA function dressed as syringes! PETA's co-founder (Alex Pacheco) left the group over its absurd policy of feline genocide. PETA's mission statement, written by that group's leader Ingrid Newkirk states "We believe that animals have an intrinsic worth of their own". So Ms. Newkirk...Did you forget your mission?

In researching this article, I spoke to former PETA employees as well as people whose pets have been stolen by PETA (which were undoubtedly killed). Everyone of these people were willing to talk to me but insisted I not divulge their names or even the cities in which they now reside! When I asked one of these people why she was so afraid of retribution from PETA, I was told..."They will take it out on my animals".

Ingrid Newkirk is not only hypocritical but incredibly cruel. Euthanasia is something which is at times necessary, I know this all too well as I have had to make this heart-breaking decision. It is something that is done as a last resort, not a first response. It is a decision which must be made out of love and compassion, with a great deal of soul-searching. It is not something to be committed out of haste and blind loyalty to some feminazi. It is done to end suffering or when all efforts to find one a home has failed. It must never be done to animals that don't belong to you! ***

© 2003 Dave Gibson

As much as the reasoning behind such testing boggles my mind...

M&M's are my crack

Before stocking up on candy this Halloween, you should know that chocolate-maker Mars Inc.—creator of M&M's, Snickers, and other candies—continues to fund deadly animal tests!

Mars has funded cruel experiments in which mice were fed a candy ingredient and forced to swim in a pool of paint. The mice had to find a platform to try to avoid drowning, only to be later killed and dissected. In another gruesome experiment supported by Mars, rats were fed cocoa and then sedated with carbon dioxide so that blood could be collected through a needle that punctured their hearts!

Mars' top competitor, Hershey's, has pledged to PETA that it will not fund or conduct experiments on animals. Please urge Mars to follow Hershey's lead and immediately end all support for animal tests!

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/mars_testing_peta2?c=p2m80

Thanks for everything you do for animals!

Sincerely,

Pulin Modi
Senior Street Team Coordinator
peta2
[email protected]

I wonder why anyone would think tests like this were necessary or even useful? That these types of things that are done on a daily basis and accepted as normal is amazing to me.

I have a brother who has animal tested and i am a passionate lifelong veggie and anti-vivisectionists. You can well imagine the conversations w`eve had.I have learned to control my anger and allow others their opinions.I could get angy about every bloody thing.But it only harms my heart and no one elses to rage against everything.i will boycott Mars now i know now.

The latest foot-and mouth thing has to be turned off on the TV otherwise i may combust. What do people truly expect.?Its almost like just deserts if it wasn`t for the blessed cows going to slaughter.They were destined to go there anyway.:mad:

I have a brother who has animal tested and i am a passionate lifelong veggie and anti-vivisectionists. You can well imagine the conversations w`eve had.I have learned to control my anger and allow others their opinions.I could get angy about every bloody thing.But it only harms my heart and no one elses to rage against everything.i will boycott Mars now i know now.

The latest foot-and mouth thing has to be turned off on the TV otherwise i may combust. What do people truly expect.?Its almost like just deserts if it wasn`t for the blessed cows going to slaughter.They were destined to go there anyway.:mad:

It's a minefield. I was talking to friends the other night about this. I live just in front of open moors, and can see cows and sheep each time I look out of the window. For me it's slightly different, because I never have liked meat anyway, so it's an easy decision for me, moral causes aside. If I did like meat, I would only eat it if the animals had a decent life before dying. Mutton would be a good example of this. It's the conveyor-belt/supermarket production line that is disgraceful.

Peter

And even so, at least they are being killed for some "purpose". These torture tests to make candy sound like some kind of evil fantasy.

It's a minefield. I was talking to friends the other night about this. I live just in front of open moors, and can see cows and sheep each time I look out of the window. For me it's slightly different, because I never have liked meat anyway, so it's an easy decision for me, moral causes aside. If I did like meat, I would only eat it if the animals had a decent life before dying. Mutton would be a good example of this. It's the conveyor-belt/supermarket production line that is disgraceful.

Peter

A lot of meat is farmed with the animal`s interests at heart.But so much is imported.Pigs are very poorly treated confined to small crates.Even mothers cannot move from the lying position as the piglets suckle from gaps in the adjoining crates.I could go on.I find things like Fois Gras very offensive and cruel.I find thousands of poor turkeys at christmas crammed in sheds unbelievably cruel.

It is a hard thing to get to grips with though...as when you look out on the moors if there wasn`t the demand for the meat then you wouldn`t see the animals. I understand that.

I remember as a little girl my grandparents took me to a petting farm to feed the lambs and other baby animals and took me home to eat roast lamb and it stuck with me.I was given suckling pig and rabbit as well.I found it all very hypocrtical.

A lot of meat is farmed with the animal`s interests at heart.But so much is imported.Pigs are very poorly treated confined to small crates.Even mothers cannot move from the lying position as the piglets suckle from gaps in the adjoining crates.I could go on.I find things like Fois Gras very offensive and cruel.I find thousands of poor turkeys at christmas crammed in sheds unbelievably cruel.

It is a hard thing to get to grips with though...as when you look out on the moors if there wasn`t the demand for the meat then you wouldn`t see the animals. I understand that.

I remember as a little girl my grandparents took me to a petting farm to feed the lambs and other baby animals and took me home to eat roast lamb and it stuck with me.I was given suckling pig and rabbit as well.I found it all very hypocrtical.

That last paragraph is a precis of the Simpsons episode 'Lisa The Vegetarian'. A brilliant, brilliant episode that gives the reasons on both sides, but comes down on the side of compassion. Quote by Homer - "It's Lamb, Lisa, not 'A lamb'".

Peter

This headline makes me think of the planet Mars. Hmmmm, I wonder why they are called Mars, anyway?

xfiles.jpg

I don't see how that helps company at all. Swimming in paint? :confused:

That last paragraph is a precis of the Simpsons episode 'Lisa The Vegetarian'. A brilliant, brilliant episode that gives the reasons on both sides, but comes down on the side of compassion. Quote by Homer - "It's Lamb, Lisa, not 'A lamb'".

Peter

Funnily enough that episode was on channel four last week again.It has Paul and Linda McCartney on it so its very old.

My children love the Simpsons which I don`t mind but i hate Itchy and Scratchy.I can`t help thinking its been a bad move to allow it.:confused:

I wanted to remind everyone to buy cruelty-free candy this Halloween season. The good news is that Hershey's does not test on animals! The bad news is that Mars does.

Please don't buy Mars candy like M&M's. Hershey's Kisses and Hershey's with Almonds are better anyway.

It's easy to write to Mars and tell them why you won't be buying their products.

This is a single simple issue. Whether you like PETA or not doesn't matter. No one is asking for money. Just remember that Mars tortures animals needlessly and Hershey's is cruelty-free. And take a minute to send Mars your message, if you feel like it.

Re: Complaint-ConsumerCareComplaint-Hugh Clark

Good Afternoon,

Our consumer feedback is very important to us, and we thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We care passionately about animals and their wellbeing.

In developing our food, pet care, snack and drinks products, we do not undertake, support or sponsor research involving euthanasia, vivisection or the suffering of any animal.

We do undertake research programs involving limited forms of animal testing within our Symbioscience business. This research is only conducted if it is required by law/regulation for the purpose of demonstrating the safety or efficacy of products and only if it involves the use of rats and mice.

Symbioscience, a separate business unit, is developing pharmaceutical and therapeutic food ingredients that have the potential to contribute significantly to human health and well being and to alleviate or reverse existing medical conditions. For example, we are currently researching the potential therapeutic effects of flavanol compounds on heart health, vascular health, cognitive health, the treatment of diabetes and certain forms of cancer.

We are aware that our Symbioscience research programs constitute an exception to the position we have taken on animal testing in all our other businesses. However, we are required to comply with legal and regulatory testing requirements when conducting this research.

Mars, Incorporated has an Animal Research Review Board including both internal and external experts, which carries out an annual review of our processes and procedures to assure that our portfolio of research is in compliance with the corporate policy on research involving animals.

If you need any further information or advice please contact our Consumer Careline on the telephone number below and one of our Consumer Care Advisors will be more than happy to help you.

Kind regards.

Margaret Henson
Consumer Care Team
0800 738 800

So, I did call. At first the person who answered told me no experiments were done on animals. After I told her the email from Mars that resulted in my call admits animals are tested on, she changed it to any 'significant' animals and that they were required by law to do these experiments. I said I disputed that and cited what PETA had brought to my attention. She asked if she could put me on hold yet again (It was roughly each minute by now) and I suggested that the person in the background prompting her should just speak to me directly. She did but only to say she was going to transfer my call to head office. Head office said it was not true they experimented on animals. Again, I highlighted the email. She said that was not Mars but a company owned by Mars and she was not prepared to comment any further as they are a separate company. I replied that while Mars or their sister company test on animals I will boycott the products and due to the devious, obstructive way my enquiry had been handled, I would actively campaign to bring this to people attention.

When I asked if they planned to take PETA to court regarding their claims, I was told no. When I asked what they intended to do to refute PETAs claims, she said they had wrote them a letter asking them to stop but it is not possible to stop anybody saying whatever they want. I said surely there was liable law and she just repeated you can't stop people saying what they want.

She suggested I take my complaint direct to Symbioscience or the Home office. I may do both.

They agreed that people boycotting their products due to the experiments carried out on animals could result in a change of policy but that there had only been a handful of complaints on the subject in total. I sense yet another lie.

Now, over to you.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/actionline/winter-2006/buy-fair-trade.php

Check this beautiful site out. Looks can be deceiving. Mars have already proven to me just how deceiving they are. Please use the contact link and send them your thoughts.

Here is what I sent:

I have decide to boycott Mars products due to the deadly animal tests done for them by yourselves. The test are done despite the fact that more reliable human tests are available and that none of the tests are required by law.

Due to the devious and obstructive way my enquiry had so far been handled by UK Mars, I also plan to spread the word off the barbaric practises paid for by Mars and campaign to end it.

Can you explain why experiments are required by law on rats that are force-feed by shoving plastic tubes down their throats and then cut open the rats’ legs to expose arteries, which are clamped shut to block blood flow? Also why is it law to kill them after the experiment?

Could you also explain why it is required by law for mice to be fed a candy ingredient then forced to swim in a pool of paint and water? Why the mice have to find a hidden platform to avoid drowning, and then after the experiment why they were killed and dissected due to legal requirements?

Also, why rats are fed cocoa and then anaesthetised with carbon dioxide, then their blood collected by having needles jabbed directly into their hearts?

Finally, what other animal experiments do you carry out on behalf of Mars?

Mars advised me today these experiments are only conducted due to the home office requiring them to be done. I also plan to check this and my other issues with this matter with my MP.

Regards,
Hugh Clark

http://www.symbioscience.com/default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom