Manchester in 2003

J

James Keen

I went to Manchester on Friday. It was a tremendous change for me and a great afternoon out, last having been to the city in/around 1982 when on a trip near to Belle Vue before heading into the city.... back then anything to do with the locals involved Boddingtons beer - it honestly did - and for a time I had the belief that it was the only drink you could purchase in the North West. Being near the University, I was also aware at the time that students were frowned upon and regularly very heavily threatened !

In 2003 what a transformation - some great bars, cafe's and new city centre apartments. A few great restaurants and from what I could see some new smart looking hotels. Still, Picadilly Station sat looking just like it did all those years ago.

If anyone reads about the UK and is thinking of coming over to visit us, then Manchester is a still a great city, busy and full of musical history. It's also wet, cold and miserable - so bare that in mind when travelling and wrap up warm. I had a short journey home, in thick fog, but I am hoping to go back one day.....

James Keen

James, they've spent a fortune doing up Piccadilly train station for the Commonwealth games, & it is much improved compared to the days of old, the main entrance as also changed from the front to the back, it's now on Fairfeild St (same street as the Star & Garter pub that holds the Smiths/Morrissey nights).
That said, it is a great City with all of the above & much much more, get hold of Morrisseys Manchester book to guide you round.

Mozzers Manchester
piccadilly_pic1_large.jpg

As an American who visited Manchester for the first time in summer 2002, I was surprised by how much I truly enjoyed the city! I was expecting a gray, industrial scene but I was greeted by plenty of cool places to eat and shop and the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met. I am planning on returning soon!

> James, they've spent a fortune doing up Piccadilly train station for the
> Commonwealth games, & it is much improved compared to the days of old,
> the main entrance as also changed from the front to the back, it's now on
> Fairfeild St (same street as the Star & Garter pub that holds the
> Smiths/Morrissey nights).
> That said, it is a great City with all of the above & much much more,
> get hold of Morrisseys Manchester book to guide you round.

that's not piccadilly station, is it? i was only there last july and it was a total dump!!

> that's not piccadilly station, is it? i was only there last july and it
> was a total dump!!

its been done up.

Maybe it was the other station in Manchester: Victoria Station, that's looking a bit tacky at the moment.

> Maybe it was the other station in Manchester: Victoria Station, that's
> looking a bit tacky at the moment.

nope, definately piccadilly. i should know, i was forced to spend the night there. i am astounded!