Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning - question

nightandday

At the very end of the song there is a female voice repeating a short phrase a few times. As far as I can make out the words, she seems to be saying something like "what you think, what you think". Can anyone tell me where that sample comes from (it definitely sounds like another sample from a film or TV show or whatever)?

Last edited:
I always thought it said "What's your name?".

EDIT: Just checked passions and it does say "Whats your Name?"

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/moz-w.htm

It's not a proof as they've most probably just transcribed it, but I think they may be right, it could very well be "What's your name?" But they don't seem to know where it's from either. I don't think I've seen that information anywhere. :(

I maybe wrong, but possibly the sampling is from the same sourse as Rubber Ring?:confused:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=66399

I'm not sure about that. I have the record in question, and I don't hear that phrase. Please correct me if this is wrong. I can't pinpoint the source of the "What's your name", but for some reason, I always think of it in the same way as "Don't leave us in the dark!" from Billy Budd.

Best Wishes,

Peter

Oh well...possibly it's sampled from some old film (Family Way or Charlie Bubble)?

What does he sing when yoddling on Rubber Ring?On Who Put the M... it sounds like "All the day"...

Absolutely,I really HEAR that...what does he sing,?its a mystery to me.

hello nightandday,
happy to help ~ the sampled voice intoning "what's your name ?" belongs to Kay Walsh and is a line of dialogue taken from a beautiful scene in a great British film called 'In Which We Serve' (1942) directed by Noel Coward and David Lean. The actor she asks the question of is the late, great John Mills and the answer is Shorty Blake ! It is an astonishingly moving film and I would simply urge you to watch it if you can.
Kind regards,
joe.

hello nightandday,
happy to help ~ the sampled voice intoning "what's your name ?" belongs to Kay Walsh and is a line of dialogue taken from a beautiful scene in a great British film called 'In Which We Serve' (1942) directed by Noel Coward and David Lean. The actor she asks the question of is the late, great John Mills and the answer is Shorty Blake ! It is an astonishingly moving film and I would simply urge you to watch it if you can.
Kind regards,
joe.
Thanks a lot! I'm starting to think that this forum is the best source of Morrissey-related knowledge there is. :) I'd love to watch the film, but it will be hard to find. I haven't been able to see Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, Sleuth and The Collector either. :(

Back
Top Bottom