Last Night I Dreamt......Sound of The Smiths

ExpectingToFly

I don't have Sound of The Smiths, I've been listening to it on Spotify recently though to see if any of the tracks were, in someway, different to the originals. I think I can remember Johnny Marr was involved in the remastering? So I was shocked to hear that the intro to one of my favourite songs, "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", has been taken away completely. For me, the build up is important in this song, it makes it more dramatic and I'm sure I read recently that this is Johnny's favourite song for precisely that reason. Wondering why then he decided to take it away? :confused: (if, indeed, it was him who did it)

When Last Night I Dreamt was released as a single - the final Smiths single in Dec 1987 - because the full version was too long for radio it was cut down. When Morrissey first played the song live, about 1999 I think, he never did the intro but just went straight into the main bit, same as the single edit. Only in later tours once Mikey Farell joined on keyboards did he do the slow piano bit live. Most fans probably agree that the full version is the best but probably for reasons of space on Sound Of The Smiths they included the seven inch single version instead. So this is why.

I don't have Sound of The Smiths, I've been listening to it on Spotify recently though to see if any of the tracks were, in someway, different to the originals. I think I can remember Johnny Marr was involved in the remastering? So I was shocked to hear that the intro to one of my favourite songs, "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", has been taken away completely. For me, the build up is important in this song, it makes it more dramatic and I'm sure I read recently that this is Johnny's favourite song for precisely that reason. Wondering why then he decided to take it away? :confused: (if, indeed, it was him who did it)

They didn't edit it for the compilation - the version without the intro is the single version. It's also on The Very Best of The Smiths.

And yes, Morrissey and Marr both approved the tracklisting, so they must have been happy with it ("I Want The One I Can't Have" and "I Keep Mine Hidden" were both removed from the original tracklist, probably because Morrissey and Marr, respectively, didn't want them on there). Likely they put the single edit on there so they could fit in another song.

Ah I see, I don't own the single or The Very Best Of so I didn't know that this wasn't new. Must admit I much prefer the intro, but I guess it was for space etc. Thanks for clearing this up

They didn't edit it for the compilation - the version without the intro is the single version. It's also on The Very Best of The Smiths.

And yes, Morrissey and Marr both approved the tracklisting, so they must have been happy with it ("I Want The One I Can't Have" and "I Keep Mine Hidden" were both removed from the original tracklist, probably because Morrissey and Marr, respectively, didn't want them on there). Likely they put the single edit on there so they could fit in another song.

I don't think "I Want The One I Can't Have" was removed because Morrissey didn't want it there.... as far as I'm aware he loves it.

According to Simon Goddards Mozipedia Morrissey hates his singing on IWTOICH so perhaps this is why it was removed...great book

Ahh, fair enough. Therefore he probably likes the actual song, just hates the vocal on the record. Hence the live performances and the recent live b-side etc

I read on a FACTS page on the wall of my friends bathroom that "dreamt" is the only word in the english language that ends in "mt." :D

Back
Top Bottom