Johnny Rotten plays some of his favorite records (transcript) 1977

A

Anonymous

Capital Radio, Tommy Vance Show, July 16th 1977
http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/REVIEWS 2/capital77.html#int

Go to link for the interview. It's worth reading. He comments on his choices and talks about the Sex Pistols. Below is the list.
Tracklisting & additional info…
Tim Buckley - Sweet Surrender

Tim Buckley - Sweet Surrender
(taken from: Greetings From LA, 1972)

Although he doesn't specifically mention it in the interview, JR was a huge admirer of Buckley's diverse singing style. Buckley regarded his voice as an instrument. Tim was father of acclaimed 90s singer-songwriter Jeff Buckley, who like his father died at an early age…
The Creation

The Creation - Life Is Just Beginning
(single, 1967)

The B-side of this single was 'Through My Eyes', which the Pistols famously flirted with in early rehearsals; and later played live at Crystal Palace 2002.

Both tracks are available on the 'Our Music is Red With Purple Flashes' compilation CD.
scan needed

David Bowie - Rebel Rebel
(single, also featured on: Diamond Dogs, 1974)

It is unclear whether JR actually brought this record, or Capital only play it since he mentions it. He comments he isn't a big Bowie fan but liked this single; and thought it was about the New York Dolls.
scan needed

Unknown Artist - Drowsy Maggie

In various publications this track has been credited to The Chieftains and titled as 'Jig-A-Jig'. However, it is NOT The Chieftains (East of Eden recorded a track entitled 'Jig-A-Jig'). The track is an old Irish jig entitled 'Drowsy Maggie' which has been recorded by countless musicians. Again, this verion of the track is not by The Chieftans, it's unknown who recorded it. Any ideas?
King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown
(single, also featured on: King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown, 1976)
Gary Glitter - Doing Alright With The Boys

Gary Glitter - Doing Alright With The Boys
(single, 1975)

This single later appeared on several Glitter compilation CD's.
Fred Locks - Walls

Fred Locks - Walls
(taken from: Black Star Liner, 1976)

In the interview JR mentions he isn't too impressed by the album but particularly liked this track as Locks dealt with paranoia: "Walls, surrounding him everywhere he goes. Paranoia!" A theme he would later explore on '4 Enclosed Walls'.
Yabby You

Vivian Jackson and the Prophets - Fire in a Kingston
(single, 1976)

Aka Yabby You. This rare single later appeared on the Yabby You - 'Jesus Dread 1972-1977' compilation CD.
Culture - I'm Not Ashamed

Culture - I'm Not Ashamed
(single, also featured on: Two Sevens Clash, 1977)

With I-Roy on vocals. The version played is a rare dub, not the album version. JR comments that he is impressed by use of sounds such as babies crying and motor engines, "It's only sound, music. Isn't it…"

This rare dub version features on the Joe Gibbs & The Professionals compilation CD 'No Bones For The Dogs' (Pressure Sounds).
Dr Alimantado - Born For A Purpose

Dr Alimantado & The Rebels - Born For A Purpose
(single, 1977)

This was the 2nd ever release on now-legendary UK reggae label Greensleeves. Co-founder Chris Cracknell is reported to have stated that JR mentioning this single helped sustain his fledgling label; apparently it sold over 50,000 copies.

The track later appeared on the 1981 album 'Sons of Thunder' (re-issued on CD as 'Born for a Reason').
Bobby Byrd - Back From The Dead

Bobby Byrd - Back From The Dead
(single, 1974)

This single later appeared on several Byrd compilation CD's.
Neil Young - Revolution Blues Neil Young - Revolution Blues
(taken from: On the Beach, 1974)
scan needed

Lou Reed - Men Of Good Fortune
(taken from: Berlin, 1973)
Marjory Razorblade Kevin Coyne - Eastbourne Ladies
(taken from: Marjory Razorblade, 1973)
Nadir's Big Chance

Peter Hammill - The Institute Of Mental Health, Burning
(taken from: Nadir's Big Chance, 1975)

Hammil was lead vocalist in Van der Graaf Generator. During the interview JR calls him a "true original" and states he thinks Bowie copied a lot from Hammill.
Nadir's Big Chance

Peter Hammill - Nobody's Business
(taken from: Nadir's Big Chance, 1975)

The second track from 'Nadir's Big Chance'. JR felt this song unintentionally referred to punk: "You are nobody's business…"
Makka Bees - Nation Fiddler / Fire!

Makka Bees - Nation Fiddler / Fire!
(single, 1977)

UK roots reggae 7" single on the Congo label.

The track was available on the 1988 Trojan 'Step Softly' compilation. But now appears to be long deleted.
Trout Mask Replica

Captain Beefheart - The Blimp
(taken from: Trout Mask Replica, 1969)

JR comments he is impressed by non-format of Beefheart's music, "He just uses sounds to make the whole thing better…"
Desertshore

Nico - Janitor Of Lunacy
(taken from: Desertshore, 1970)

Despite also picking Lou Reed and John Cale, JR claimed he was not a Velvet Underground fan, and just loved Nico's German accent…
Let's Get It On Ken Boothe - Is It Because I'm Black
(taken from: Let's Get It On, 1973)
Academy in Peril

John Cale - Legs Larry At Television Centre
(taken from: Academy in Peril, 1972)

This avant-garde album has been described as "modern classical", JR describes it as "very funny…"
Macbeth

Third Ear Band - Fleance
(taken from: Music from Macbeth, 1972 )

Traditional folk song taken from the soundtrack of Roman Polanski's 1971 film 'The Tragedy of Macbeth'. The vocal on the track is by Keith Chegwin!
Tago Mago

Can - Halleluhwah
(taken from: Tago Mago, 1971)

In his 2004 Fodderstompf interview Lydon stated that it was Sid who got him into Can: "That's how we were with music. We'd all go out and find our things, and you might not like it, or you might, but that's what it was about…"
Legalise It Peter Tosh - Legalise It
(taken from: Legalise It, 1976)

An interesting list. At Xmas he played some stuff he liked which included Abba, Pink Floyd, Motorhead and Mario Lanza.

Thank you, I will try to find that. I know he famously wore a Pink Floyd shirt around 1976 that he had altered to read 'I hate Pink Floyd' and it's funny to think it was something he took out of his wardrobe and marked up. :D

Capital Radio, Tommy Vance Show, July 16th 1977
http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/REVIEWS 2/capital77.html#int

The Creation - Life Is Just Beginning
(single, 1967)

The B-side of this single was 'Through My Eyes', which the Pistols famously flirted with in early rehearsals; and later played live at Crystal Palace 2002.

I was at Crystal Palace in 2002, no recollection of this song though! (not saying you are wrong, just saying I don't recall it!)

Jukebox Jury :thumb:

I was at Crystal Palace in 2002, no recollection of this song though! (not saying you are wrong, just saying I don't recall it!)

Jukebox Jury :thumb:

It's all quoted text so I don't know. But it's possible the b-side of an obscure single from 1967 played by a 2002 version of the Sex Pistols might have slipped the notice of the most devoted fan. It might have been played while you were in the pisser. :D

Back
Top Bottom