Johnny Marr on Morrissey's politics - interview in Sky News

Johnny Marr distances himself from Morrissey's Brexit views - Sky News
The legendary guitarist says his bandmate's recent political proclamations suggest The Smiths are better off staying split up.

Excerpts:

He told Sky News that if reports Morrissey said he liked Nigel Farage "a great deal" and that the Brexit result is "magnificent" are true, they no longer share the same beliefs.

He said: "Yes that's probably right - I always forget about that, it's stuff I hear second hand and I don't believe everything I read but if that is the case that he's pro-Farage, there would be a slight drawback in that, as anyone would imagine."

"As far as Brexit goes, I'm proud again to be in the minority. No-one ever says the majority is right, I've been in the minority a lot - when I was younger and now," he said.

He said: "At the time when Thatcher came into power, young people were really against it - the meanness of it, the disappointment.

"My personal politics were that I thought decency and society should look after people who need a helping hand and I still think that and I think the Conservative government stood for the opposite of that and I still do."

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny is a good egg, and no mistake. Common human empathy and decency, and a dislike for those seek to demonise.

http://news.sky.com/story/johnny-marr-distances-himself-from-morrisseys-brexit-views-10641019

Excerpts:

He told Sky News that if reports Morrissey said he liked Nigel Farage "a great deal" and that the Brexit result is "magnificent" are true, they no longer share the same beliefs.

He said: "Yes that's probably right - I always forget about that, it's stuff I hear second hand and I don't believe everything I read but if that is the case that he's pro-Farage, there would be a slight drawback in that, as anyone would imagine."

"As far as Brexit goes, I'm proud again to be in the minority. No-one ever says the majority is right, I've been in the minority a lot - when I was younger and now," he said.

He said: "At the time when Thatcher came into power, young people were really against it - the meanness of it, the disappointment.

"My personal politics were that I thought decency and society should look after people who need a helping hand and I still think that and I think the Conservative government stood for the opposite of that and I still do."

See who posted something about "Morrissey and politics" first. Who would have guessed? Apart from that I can't remember Morrissey relying on Johnny and the Smiths to promote his own book. Maybe Johnny should put more effort in getting his other musical adventures in the news. People might get the impression he only existed during the Smiths.

See who posted something about "Morrissey and politics" first. Who would have guessed? Apart from that I can't remember Morrissey relying on Johnny and the Smiths to promote his own book. Maybe Johnny should put more effort in getting his other musical adventures in the news. People might get the impression he only existed during the Smiths.

See who commented first? You one-trick arsehole. Never miss a chance to shoot the messenger do you? How about addressing Morrissey's disturbing political leanings? And yet again, here you are, as always, with your reflex defend-at-all-costs-and-ignore-the-point-at-hand stance.

"Oh no, someone said something that reflects badly on Morrissey, no matter how factual it is. I must ride in promptly with my half-baked bollocks and slag off the person relating this heinous nonsense"

Last edited:
Yeah sure. Johnny is proud to always be in the minority. His views are always very safe and common. Name one instance where he ever voiced an unpopular opinion.

Distancing himself from Brexit on Sky News owned by Rupert Murdoch. Oh the irony :rolleyes:

http://news.sky.com/story/johnny-marr-distances-himself-from-morrisseys-brexit-views-10641019

Excerpts:

Interesting but not hugely surprising. I think the nicest thing you could say about Morrissey's politics is that he appears a little muddled...

Yay ! This book of Johnnys is sure gonna shake up the Bot mentality on here :guitar::laughing::rofl::ahhh::drama::clap:

I might have to re-open the online confectioners store again at this rate :popcorn:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

"There is no bias, you just think there is".
What a load of dingoes kidneys. You'd have to be wearing spectacles smeared with vaseline not to see if for what it is.

SOSB

"There is no bias, you just think there is".
What a load of dingoes kidneys. You'd have to be wearing spectacles smeared with vaseline not to see if for what it is.

SOSB
You're free to have whatever interpretation you like. Why don't you redress this inbalance you perceive by posting as much counter material as you like? Go ahead , no one is stopping you or will stop you.

I'm with Johnny on this one. As a non-European, Nigel Farage always looked to me like he was one croissant short of a continental breakfast.

Moz is of course free to have whatever political views he likes, but given this difference it's clear that indeed they are on different pages these days.

How about addressing Morrissey's disturbing political leanings?

Disturbing to who?? Social justice warriors, political correctness junkies and liberal 'progressives?' You may not agree with his politics, fine, but don't try and sound like you speak for everyone.

Yay ! This book of Johnnys is sure gonna shake up the Bot mentality on here :guitar::laughing::rofl::ahhh::drama::clap:

I might have to re-open the online confectioners store again at this rate :popcorn:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Seriously dude, what's left to shake up here nowadays? You can practically hear the tumbleweed blowing down the mainstream of these boards, punctuated by the occasional rant and cackle from this forum's most prolific poster which would be you.

Disturbing to who?? Social justice warriors, political correctness junkies and liberal 'progressives?' You may not agree with his politics, fine, but don't try and sound like you speak for everyone.

This would be fair comment if Morrissey presented some form of coherent right-wing worldview. But he just doesn't get the basics when it comes to politics. All he has is a confused patchwork of attitudes.

This would be fair comment if Morrissey presented some form of coherent right-wing worldview. But he just doesn't get the basics when it comes to politics. All he has is a confused patchwork of attitudes.

But! But! Morrissey reads books! That means he's clever and understands things much more so than the rest of us. That's right, isn't it?

Confused patchwork is fine, I'd tend to agree, my comment was more addressing the phrase 'disturbing political leanings.' I want to know what is 'disturbing' about it? That he was pleased with Brexit? Many people were. That he laments the decline of Anglo Saxon culture in England? I suspect many Anglo Saxon English do, but this does not automatically make them racist. That he supports Farage? I've listened a lot to Farage around the economics of Brexit, not just the immigration stuff and feel he makes a lot sense, sorry If I too am not a pro-globalist who wants to see the current divide between the rich and the poor continue to grow at an alarming rate.

The same thing is happening right now in America where voters are waking up to the fact that Hilary 'I do it for the workers' Clinton is in fact nothing but a shill for the nefarious likes of George Soros, Saudi Arabai, Wall Street etc and consumed along with her husband with lining their pockets with as many ill-gotten gains as they can get away with.

Confused patchwork is fine, I'd tend to agree, my comment was more addressing the phrase 'disturbing political leanings.' I want to know what is 'disturbing' about it? That he was pleased with Brexit? Many people were. That he laments the decline of Anglo Saxon culture in England? I suspect many Anglo Saxon English do, but this does not automatically make them racist. That he supports Farage? I've listened a lot to Farage around the economics of Brexit, not just the immigration stuff and feel he makes a lot sense, sorry If I too am not a pro-globalist who wants to see the current divide between the rich and the poor continue to grow at an alarming rate.

The same thing is happening right now in America where voters are waking up to the fact that Hilary 'I do it for the workers' Clinton is in fact nothing but a shill for the nefarious likes of George Soros, Saudi Arabai, Wall Street etc and consumed along with her husband with lining their pockets with as many ill-gotten gains as they can get away with.

Yeah, that's right: leaving the EU will definitely protect and further the interests of ordinary people. That was, and is, the obvious intention of the extremely wealthy, privileged people who advocated a "leave" vote. Clearly.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom