Johnny Marr News thread

Why is it that both Marr and Morrissey have a huge catalog of songs post Smiths yet they depend so heavily on Smiths songs for concerts? Since they are so keen on playing those songs, why don't they drop the whole "we've moved on thing" and get together and play the songs correctly.

And having just watched Marr's Coachella clips, Marr should drop the vocalizing and stick to his guitar work.

Why is it that both Marr and Morrissey have a huge catalog of songs post Smiths yet they depend so heavily on Smiths songs for concerts? Since they are so keen on playing those songs, why don't they drop the whole "we've moved on thing" and get together and play the songs correctly.

And having just watched Marr's Coachella clips, Marr should drop the vocalizing and stick to his guitar work.

Morrissey plays them for nostalgia, apart from his 1988 Wolverhampton gig, he didn't perform a Smiths song till 1995 where he played songs like London and Shoplifters. Marr plays them simply because everything he's done after The Smiths is shit. I wonder why he can't figure this out when he plays his solo songs beside his Smiths songs at his own gigs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Err, he plays 11 from his 12 new songs from the solo album live, what more can you expect? He plays a few Smiths songs live yes, since he actually wrote them and is rightfully proud of them. But the set isn't revolved around The Smiths.

Morrissey plays them for nostalgia, apart from his 1988 Wolverhampton gig, he didn't perform a Smiths song till 1995 where he played songs like London and Shoplifters. Marr plays them simply because everything he's done after The Smiths is shit. I wonder why he can't figure this out when he plays his solo songs beside his Smiths songs at his own gigs?
Nonsense. His new solo album blows anything Morrissey has done for nearly a decade out of the water.

Johnny will be on Summer Sonic Festival in Japan, 10 August in Osaka and 11 August in Tokyo.

thank you for posting that..my only disappoinment with the three Johnny shows I went to last week was that I heard the exact same setlist every night..Would loved to have heard Still Ill or The Queen Is Dead at least once.

Nice Kali tat, Johnny. :cool:

Johnny will be on BBC 2 Later with Jules Holland on 4th June (extended version on Friday 7th).

New Town Velocity single is out July 22nd and will have a new b-side called "The It-Switch". Will be available via download or 7 inch. Excited about another new song! The b-side to Upstarts, Psychic Beginner, is really good and could have easily made the album.

Back
Top Bottom