Interesting Note on The Music Industry

beewee

Hello All,

I recieved an email that listed "9 things that will disappear in our lifetime."

#6 was Music.

Given Moz's lack of a current record deal and the outlook he has had on the music industry itself for so many years, what is written below rings utterly close to what he has been saying all along:

"6. Music This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply self-destructing. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalogue items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies.""

Long live Moz, can't wait to see him coming up in La/Reno/Davis, going to do a little mini tour myself to follow the man!

It's about time people started realising this; perhaps if we can spread the message there might actually be a chance to salvage music and make it important again, although I doubt it. I don't think people mind being brainwashed into thinking that the current music being produced is innovative and exciting. I think for a lot of them it would probably give them a heart attack to hear something new and fresh.

Music - and more importantly, intelligent and evocative music - is never going to die. The format in which it is made and distributed and the manner in which we are going to receive it is going to change. For the better or worse? That's subjective. But there are always going to be people out there with the drive to create something timelessly unique and substantive. Maybe they'll be driven underground by business, maybe some of them will lose hope and assimilate back into "the rest of us" - but there is always going to be someone, some worthwhile sound out there. It's getting to the point where it's the our own responsibility as music enthusiasts to seek it out. It's no secret by now that the good stuff only rarely and marginally receives the publicity it deserves. We have no one to blame but ourselves if we aren't willing to find it on our own.

Music is as innovative as it's ever been but if you restrict yourself to genres that peaked in 1972 it can be difficult to find fresh new acts.

The quoted article makes a fairly feeble argument. "Greed and corruption"? Oh right, that really settles it. Music is not synonymous with the music industry. Music was there before there was any kind of industry. You could make a good case that rock music is not the vital and transformative force it was 30 or 40 years ago, but to suggest it will "die" is merely ludicruous.

Back
Top Bottom