I still believe in my book project, and I think others should too.

E

Erin MacLeod

As someone who has alway been interested in pop culture, I think that fandom is an incredibly interesting phenomenon. The reason why I think that a book of stories describing meetings with Morrissey or stories of what Morrissey and his music have meant to people is that I think that the vision of Morrissey in the minds of fans is very important.

Morrissey is not some stupid poppy flavour of the month. He is a thinking, insightful, and creative person with a sharp wit and a keen sense of the ironic. Who could listen to him croon "Why do I smile at people whom I'd much rather kick in the eye", among many many other examples, and not think him amusingly sardonic.

He has become pretty much anything that his fans have wanted to be and he has always remained coy in interviews. This make him, for me, all the more interesting. I agree with those who have questioned this project that a Morrissey-penned memoir would be fantastic, but as much as I would like to read his autobiography, I think that it is almost more fun to imagine him in the Oscar Wild-ish way that I do.

My project is a way for people to share their thoughts about a performer who has meant a lot to a whole wack of people. I am not cashing in--there isn't really that much money to be made--but rather, I think this is a tremendously worthwhile project. We, as fans, create Morrissey through our thoughts, stories, and general conception of our idol. The internet is a tremendous resource where this is concerned, but a book would allow past stories to be collected with new stories.

I say again, I hope you will help me make this book a success.

Submissions are welcome at www.ecwpress.com/fanfare or just email me.

erin

http://www.ecwpress.com

All men have secrets....

Erin,

have a check for a book called All Men Have Secrets.... it came out on Virgin publishing about 5 years back. Amazon or somewhere should have it.

I contributed to it, and it sounds very similar to the book you have planned.... a collation of fans stories, what Morrissey / The Smiths meant to them, how they affected their lives etc.

> As someone who has alway been interested in pop culture, I think
> that fandom is an incredibly interesting phenomenon. The reason
> why I think that a book of stories describing meetings with
> Morrissey or stories of what Morrissey and his music have meant
> to people is that I think that the vision of Morrissey in the
> minds of fans is very important.

> Morrissey is not some stupid poppy flavour of the month. He is a
> thinking, insightful, and creative person with a sharp wit and a
> keen sense of the ironic. Who could listen to him croon
> "Why do I smile at people whom I'd much rather kick in the
> eye", among many many other examples, and not think him
> amusingly sardonic.

> He has become pretty much anything that his fans have wanted to
> be and he has always remained coy in interviews. This make him,
> for me, all the more interesting. I agree with those who have
> questioned this project that a Morrissey-penned memoir would be
> fantastic, but as much as I would like to read his
> autobiography, I think that it is almost more fun to imagine him
> in the Oscar Wild-ish way that I do.

> My project is a way for people to share their thoughts about a
> performer who has meant a lot to a whole wack of people. I am
> not cashing in--there isn't really that much money to be
> made--but rather, I think this is a tremendously worthwhile
> project. We, as fans, create Morrissey through our thoughts,
> stories, and general conception of our idol. The internet is a
> tremendous resource where this is concerned, but a book would
> allow past stories to be collected with new stories.

> I say again, I hope you will help me make this book a success.

> Submissions are welcome at www.ecwpress.com/fanfare or just
> email me.

> erin

Re: All men have secrets....

I know, I that book is very unfortunately out of print and was only ever available in England (pre-internet published). It also only included the Smiths and there were no stories about people who have actually met Morrissey.

I do think there is space for another...don't you?

erin

> Erin,

> have a check for a book called All Men Have Secrets.... it came
> out on Virgin publishing about 5 years back. Amazon or somewhere
> should have it.

> I contributed to it, and it sounds very similar to the book you
> have planned.... a collation of fans stories, what Morrissey /
> The Smiths meant to them, how they affected their lives etc.

> I know, I that book is very unfortunately out of print and was
> only ever available in England (pre-internet published). It also
> only included the Smiths and there were no stories about people
> who have actually met Morrissey.

> I do think there is space for another...don't you?

hundreds of stories of people asking Morrissey for a picture, and the poor, irritated man rises quickly to pose just to get rid of them?

> erin

My plan is for much more than this. Not all of the stories are necessarily have to do with meeting Morrissey--I am looking for stories of how meaningful a Morrissey concert or a quick picture may be for a fan or stories of the first time someone listened to a Smiths/Morrissey album or stories of going to a Smiths concert in 1986 or stories of why a certain album or song is meaningful. Stories about how fans relate to Morrissey -- the man or the music.

erin

> hundreds of stories of people asking Morrissey for a picture,
> and the poor, irritated man rises quickly to pose just to get
> rid of them?

definitely, I wasn't sure if u were aware of it.

It was a great book.

> I know, I that book is very unfortunately out of print and was
> only ever available in England (pre-internet published). It also
> only included the Smiths and there were no stories about people
> who have actually met Morrissey.

> I do think there is space for another...don't you?

> erin

I don't know that last publicity tour, sort of ruined the mystic.

In my opinion,

hnia

> I don't know that last publicity tour, sort of ruined the
> mystic.

What do you mean? Did you go to the last publicity tour?

> What do you mean? Did you go to the last publicity tour?

No, but the whole concept seemed to rest on purchasing a DVD just to meet him, didn't it?

Enlighten me,

hnia

> amusingly sardonic.

Erin, You have a clear vision. My remarks come from the psycologist in me. I'm interested to hear what you think Post-Punk means...aside from the obvious. I read that on the FanFare site along with the word Myth and my heart sank. Even if you didn't write that, let me know your view. I was not a fan in The Smiths' day, I stepped in when Kill Uncle came out. That may help explain my attitude, who knows. I have alot to learn, so please enlighten me. NB

> No, but the whole concept seemed to rest on purchasing a DVD
> just to meet him, didn't it?

> Enlighten me,

> hnia

Isn't that how publicity tours usually work? There were some simple rules to keep things moving, some set by the record store it was hosted at, I believe. How would you do it differently?

> Isn't that how publicity tours usually work? There were some
> simple rules to keep things moving, some set by the record store
> it was hosted at, I believe. How would you do it differently?
I guess you're right.

I'll trying to understand the reclusive nature of Morrissey with a publicity tour. No matter what angle I take, the two seem to disagree.

And, the idea of Morrissey doing a publicity tour for a DVD was an unusual feat to begin with. Somehow the message I got from it was that you were required to buy a DVD in order to meet him. Like a book store tour! Frankly, I don't care for that kind of fan/star mentality. I'd prefer that these Morrissey stories be more spontaneous, you know?

Re: Post-punk

Well, I am a big fan of many different types of music, but punk is among those genres that I hold dear. Pardon what will probably prove to be a long and blathering explanation.

Punk rock has a very direct connection with reggae music--not only because legendary reggae producers like Lee Perry and Mikey Dread worked with The Clash--but specifically because of the revolutionary nature of reggae music. Anti-colonialist and anti-establishment, reggae music made use of the apocalyptic and revolutionary language of rastafarianism. Also, the lack of high-end recording equipment created limitations that were overcome by the ingenuity of Jamaican producers and musicians--there was a real DIY, make-do aesthetic that developed by necessity.

Jamaica, as post-colonial nation, has a tumultuous historical relationship with Britain--not too positive. When Jamaicans came to Britain and began to make music, Jamaican music in England took as revolutionary a tone as that on the island of Jamaica.

In Britain, and those Brits reading this can correct me if I am wrong, the class structure is much more prevalent and rigid than what we in North America are used to. Class can prevent someone from being successful and accepted by the socio-economic elite in Britain -- the American dream insists that anyone can be successful, you've just got to have the "pull up your bootstraps" attitude. This class division causes those in certain eschelons of society to stick together. Hence, lower class kids, be they black or white or whatever, would be more likely to stick together than in North America. This is not to say that racism doesn't exist in the UK, but rather to demonstrate that the social structure of the UK is not the same as that in the US.

Because of the class phenomenon, disenfranchised youth felt a common enemy: the British government. The revolutionary power of reggae was seen as something that took an appropriately reactionary tone. British kids got really interested in Ska--one of reggae's predecessors--and punk rock. Bands like The Clash were particularly interested in reggae's revolutionary power--so much so that they would play versions of classic reggae songs such as "Armigideon time" and their name is derived from the "soundclashes" that happened at Jamaican street dances.

If you think about it, the repetitive, driving beat of punk rock is similar to the beat of reggae and, as I have said above, both featured (in the 1970s, at least) highly political lyrics.

Unfortunately, youth culture sells, and both punk and reggae were cleaned up and made commercially viable...many reggae fans bemoan the "Bob Marley-ization" of reggae (i.e. the fact that very few people know reggae beyond Marleys admittedly good, yet somewhat overrated catalogue) just as punk rock fans were pretty unhappy with the pop sensibility of the British New Wave.

Hence, when I say post-punk, I mean the period of music that occurred right after the events I have just detailed. Music was highly political and motivated by a history of revolutionary, post-colonial ideas and then it gradually was commodified. I think the Smiths provide an interesting response to the post-punk era. Instead of being overtly political and anti-government, there is, I feel, a tremendously individualized resistance detailed in Morrissey's lyrics. It is subtle sometimes, other times more overt, but always insisting on positioning himself on the margins--refusing to fit in and blindly accept traditional views, morals, and ideas.

Does that answer your question?

Also, you menitoned the use of the word myth. I think that it was used in an illustrative way on the FanFare website (btw: the book isn't necessarily going to have that title). Myth, when I looked it up on dictionary.com was listed as "A popular belief or story that has become associated with a person, institution, or occurrence, especially one considered to illustrate a cultural ideal: a star whose fame turned her into a myth; the pioneer myth of suburbia."

I think that what we know about Morrissey can quite acceptably be referred to as a myth. A multi-faceted and constantly evolving myth, but like his revolutionary stance, very individual. Morrissey seems to open himself up to beliefs and stories...his public positioning as well as his lyrics are constantly interpreted and re-interpreted. We've all got our own personal Moz-myths, why not share them with each other.

Okay....that;s just about enough blabbing. Apologies to all.

> Erin, You have a clear vision. My remarks come from the
> psycologist in me. I'm interested to hear what you think
> Post-Punk means...aside from the obvious. I read that on the
> FanFare site along with the word Myth and my heart sank. Even if
> you didn't write that, let me know your view. I was not a fan in
> The Smiths' day, I stepped in when Kill Uncle came out. That may
> help explain my attitude, who knows. I have alot to learn, so
> please enlighten me. NB

http://www.ecwpress.com/fanfare

Re: Post-punk

> I think that what we know about Morrissey can quite acceptably
> be referred to as a myth. A multi-faceted and constantly
> evolving myth, but like his revolutionary stance, very
> individual. Morrissey seems to open himself up to beliefs and
> stories...his public positioning as well as his lyrics are
> constantly interpreted and re-interpreted. We've all got our own
> personal Moz-myths, why not share them with each other.

The more I learn about Morrissey, the more my view shifts. Whenever my view shifts, so does my interpretation of his music. One thing that stays the same is his beautiful voice, which is no myth. It's very real. I'll try to come up with something worth while, but no promises.

> Okay....that;s just about enough blabbing. Apologies to all.

You're great for taking the time out for me. I see where you are coming from very clearly. Thank you very much Ms. MacLeod. Have a great weekend!

> amusingly sardonic.

> Submissions are welcome at www.ecwpress.com/fanfare or just
> email me.

> erin

Whilst I think it's a good idea I feel that most of this was covered in "All Men Have Secrets". I managed to get the book easily enough and I live outside the UK. Has your publishing company thought of doing one about the Manic Street Preachers? Perhaps the only other band to have such a hardcore following? Well every where expect the USA.

Re:Do you still believe in Santa Claus too?

Why the hostility?

AS a fan myself, I get excited reading every submission I get. Certainly, "All men have secrets" was great, but why must that be the only one?

Look, this is something that I think is a fun thing. It is not going to make any definitive statements, is not going to change the world, but it will be a forum for fan commentary--rarely given much of a voice where popular music is concerned.

http://www.ecwpress.com/fanfare

You should write a book about how sensitive and easily offended Morrissey fans are. I was only cracking a joke...lighten up!!

> Why the hostility?

> AS a fan myself, I get excited reading every submission I get.
> Certainly, "All men have secrets" was great, but why
> must that be the only one?

> Look, this is something that I think is a fun thing. It is not
> going to make any definitive statements, is not going to change
> the world, but it will be a forum for fan commentary--rarely
> given much of a voice where popular music is concerned.

sorry...I really shouldn't be so easily offended.

> You should write a book about how sensitive and easily offended
> Morrissey fans are. I was only cracking a joke...lighten up!!

http://www.ecwpress.com

Back
Top Bottom