California Son: 4
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain: 3

UPDATE 11:25 AM PT:

Added placings:
#1 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
#1 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
#2 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's a mistake on the official charts as its unusual for an album to drop from number 3 to completely out of the top 100? Not sure the Amazon chart can be used as an indication of how things will land in the official charts?

That Top 100 counts streaming too, right?

If so, with millions of people not going out and streaming music, then that'll affect the charts, right?

If it's accurate and not a mistake, I suppose it indicates that Morrissey's appeal does not extend much beyond his fanbase anymore. So they all buy the album on day one, often purchasing multiple copies, pushing the album into the top 3 and then... nothing.

If it's accurate and not a mistake, I suppose it indicates that Morrissey's appeal does not extend much beyond his fanbase anymore. So they all buy the album on day one, often purchasing multiple copies, pushing the album into the top 3 and then... nothing.

Yup, pretty much the purest possible definition of a "cult artist" at this point. Although if we're being brutally honest there has always been an element of that, way back to the Smiths days - but this kind of chart action is taking it to extremes.

It does make me a bit sad that more "general music listeners" won't ever get to hear any of the better songs on this album, but that's their choice! (And prompted, of course, by Morrissey's utterances / actions and the subsequent media coverage - justified or not.)

It’s been like that for decades.

Well at this moment it's at No.15 on Amazon Best Sellers CD & Vinyl so as I said last night that suggests it selling on Amazon at least but the Top 100 Chart suggests otherwise. I'll repeat the question how many albums would you need to sell to stay somewhere on the chart? There are albums on that chart that to the 'trained eye' look seriously out of place.

How have you ended up on a Morrissey fan site if you're under the impression he was ever a conventional mainstream act? He's always waxed & waned because he's never been on the showbiz circuit.

He's a cult act, who will be bigger after he's dead because his shyness & dislike of cant won't get in the way of the myth-making. And he knows it. He writes songs about it. Rubber Ring, Paint A Vulgar Picture, Munich Air Disaster 1958, I Knew I Was Next, You Know I Couldn't Last, Little Man What Now?

He does what he can & he gets the work out.

How have you ended up on a Morrissey fan site if you're under the impression he was ever a conventional mainstream act? He's always waxed & waned because he's never been on the showbiz circuit.

He's a cult act, who will be bigger after he's dead because his shyness & dislike of cant won't get in the way of the myth-making. And he knows it. He writes songs about it. Rubber Ring, Paint A Vulgar Picture, Munich Air Disaster 1958, I Knew I Was Next, You Know I Couldn't Last, Little Man What Now?

What has it got to do with you how anyone ended up on this site. You popped up here in the last few months and think you are the font of all knowledge - you are not. I and others on here saw the Smiths and have followed Morrissey for years so don't try and educate us on what he is or he isn't

I didn't say 'conventional mainstream act' - you made that up. But assuming you are correct, perhaps then the situation is that his core fanbase is now smaller than it has ever been.

Everyone who comes must go

The idea that there is a fixed group of people, and no-one else, who buy Morrissey records every time is the biggest myth going. It would make sense if his sales were consistent over time (e.g. 50,000 per album in the UK) but they're all over the place. Some albums sell no more than 30,000 - others have got close to half a million. There are tons of people out there who quite like his singing voice and will buy one of his, or a Smiths album, if they a) hear that it's released and b) hear a single from it on the radio. If neither of these things happen, they won't buy it. And it doesn't even really relate to the quality of the album. You Arsenal is considered one of his best ever albums but sold a tiny number in the UK. Even fewer than rubbish like Ringleaders (which had a big radio hit in You Have Killed Me).
World Peace was a hit with the critics, there were no massive problems with Morrissey being far-right or racist on its release and it only sold 18,000 in week 1 as the single (Istanbul) had very little airplay. Three years later, Morrissey brings out the critically mauled Low in High School, the whole For Britain/racism/Der Spiegel, Annie Waters thing was kicking off and it sells 25,000 in week 1. Why? Spent the Day in Bed was a massive (for him) airplay hit. And of course, in the last two years we've seen half the diehard fans abandon him completely after he urged them to vote for a far-right political party, and he now can't even sell 10,000 albums with the career-low first week sales of Dog on a Chain at under 7,000. So, there are all kind of variables. If he makes a clear apology and retraction for supporting the extreme right wing (the 'I'm not far right' t-shirt isn't enough), and gets brilliant songs played on the radio, he can start selling albums in decent numbers again. But that's a big if.

Well at this moment it's at No.15 on Amazon Best Sellers CD & Vinyl so as I said last night that suggests it selling on Amazon at least but the Top 100 Chart suggests otherwise. I'll repeat the question how many albums would you need to sell to stay somewhere on the chart? There are albums on that chart that to the 'trained eye' look seriously out of place.

How many does it sell on Amazon though, these do count toward official charts placings. No idea on sales on the official chart but they are the official charts.

What has it got to do with you how anyone ended up on this site. You popped up here in the last few months and think you are the font of all knowledge - you are not. I and others on here saw the Smiths and have followed Morrissey for years so don't try and educate us on what he is or he isn't

Surface, she was responding to Radis Noir's post...who him/herself has only been on here for 'the last few months', as far as we can tell anyway. I don't think Nerak was intending to appear as 'the font of all knowledge' or trying to 'educate' the forum.

Surface, she was responding to Radis Noir's post...who him/herself has only been on here for 'the last few months', as far as we can tell anyway. I don't think Nerak was intending to appear as 'the font of all knowledge' or trying to 'educate' the forum.
I've been here, on and off, for over ten years. This is my third user name, IIRC. Suffice it to say that I've been listening to Morrissey and the Smiths for over 35 years now. Not that that has any bearing on my right to come on here and say just what I damn well please. irrespective of whether or not it upsets some of the younger regulars on here.

I didn't say 'conventional mainstream act' - you made that up. But assuming you are correct, perhaps then the situation is that his core fanbase is now smaller than it has ever been.

smaller than the time he had no record deal for 6 years after two disappointingly received albums?

Nerak >>>> Neal Cassidy.
Two peas in a desperate pod.

How long have you followed The Smiths career? How long have you followed Morrissey's career? Were you actually alive when The Smiths or for that matter Moz sang on TOTP, The Tube, Old Grey Whistle Test, The Chart Show, Jonathon Ross Show, Later With Joolz Holland or numerous American mega popular chat shows? Or year upon year when Moz has toured the World and met himself coming back again? Or how about the back catalogue that would boggle the mind of other artists? I could go on but I'll ask one final question Nerak, were you even there? I do not mean to offend but your idea of a cult artist is a Worldwide selling legend where mine would be someone who NEVER appeared on TV, NEVER regularly toured the World, NEVER appeared on the charts and was NEVER in the music and main press as much as Morrissey! Viva Moz!

smaller than the time he had no record deal for 6 years after two disappointingly received albums?

He still had a large fan base back then and I think he toured the UK 3 times over those years. Tickets those gigs the time were like gold dust if memory serves me right.

The idea that there is a fixed group of people, and no-one else, who buy Morrissey records every time is the biggest myth going. It would make sense if his sales were consistent over time (e.g. 50,000 per album in the UK) but they're all over the place. Some albums sell no more than 30,000 - others have got close to half a million. There are tons of people out there who quite like his singing voice and will buy one of his, or a Smiths album, if they a) hear that it's released and b) hear a single from it on the radio. If neither of these things happen, they won't buy it. And it doesn't even really relate to the quality of the album. You Arsenal is considered one of his best ever albums but sold a tiny number in the UK. Even fewer than rubbish like Ringleaders (which had a big radio hit in You Have Killed Me).
World Peace was a hit with the critics, there were no massive problems with Morrissey being far-right or racist on its release and it only sold 18,000 in week 1 as the single (Istanbul) had very little airplay. Three years later, Morrissey brings out the critically mauled Low in High School, the whole For Britain/racism/Der Spiegel, Annie Waters thing was kicking off and it sells 25,000 in week 1. Why? Spent the Day in Bed was a massive (for him) airplay hit. And of course, in the last two years we've seen half the diehard fans abandon him completely after he urged them to vote for a far-right political party, and he now can't even sell 10,000 albums with the career-low first week sales of Dog on a Chain at under 7,000. So, there are all kind of variables. If he makes a clear apology and retraction for supporting the extreme right wing (the 'I'm not far right' t-shirt isn't enough), and gets brilliant songs played on the radio, he can start selling albums in decent numbers again. But that's a big if.
Your completely wrong regards Istanbul airplay, it was all over 3 stations I listen to regularly Radio 2, Radio 6 and Absolute. It was a big airplay hit but perhaps not as 'catchy' as STDIB but a great song and vocal nonetheless.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom