"How Soon is Now" - Popcorn Venus source request

Similar2Sunday

Dear practising troublemakers,

Would anyone happen to have the book "Popcorn Venus" by Marjorie Venus, the source for the title "How Soon is Now?" I would like to see the context of the passage as a whole. Most sources quote, "How immediately can we be gratified? How soon is now?” and not that it is a feminist essay, but I would like to see the whole quotation in context. The book has long been out of print and used copies are prohibitively expensive.

Apparently it can be borrowed for a limited time here:

Mozipedia gives a bit more context in addition to the quote you mentioned:

"Popcorn Venus, 1973 feminist film study by Marjorie Rosen, listed among Morrissey’s favourite books at the outset of The Smiths and an influence upon some of his earliest lyrics.
Subtitled ‘Women, Movies & The American Dream’, Rosen’s exhaustively researched and wittily written history of women in film traces their representation on screen and its sociological impact from the late 1800s up until the early 1970s. Alongside Molly Haskell’s FROM REVERENCE TO RAPE published a year later, Popcorn Venus set the blueprint for feminist film theory. Significantly, Morrissey would cite both authors and both books as influences.
Rosen’s text refers to several films which he’d later use for song titles – ‘THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE’, ‘LITTLE MAN, WHAT NOW?’, ‘ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO’ – though its most notable bequest to The Smiths occurs in Chapter 21, ‘Flower Children’. Discussing the 60s ‘beach-party’ genre, Rosen writes: ‘At a glance these precious beach-party innocents seemed worlds apart from the hip, aggressive teenyboppers or alienated swingers who would people pop movies. Actually, the difference would be in degrees of impatience as unformulated questions were tested: How immediately can we be gratified? How soon is “now”?’
Rosen also describes actress Anita Ekberg ‘reeling around the fountain’ in Fellini’s La Dolce Vita, though other possible lyrical sources in the book are more subtle, be it the dim echo of ‘HANDSOME DEVIL’ in ‘Who would subjugate whom? Who would crack the whip?’ or Rosen’s quotation from 1973’s The Year Of The Women, ‘Mine eyes have seen the glory of the flame of women’s rage’ which may have had some bearing upon ‘THESE THINGS TAKE TIME’. It’s worth noting that all of these citations, bar ‘HOW SOON IS NOW?’, relate to Morrissey’s first Smiths lyrics written in the period between autumn 1982 and spring 1983, adding to the probability that Popcorn Venus was a favourite source of inspiration at that time. Elsewhere, Rosen analyses many of Morrissey’s favourite films and film stars, from THE LEATHER BOYS and THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE (which Rosen hates) to James DEAN, Bette DAVIS and Smiths cover star Joe DALLESANDRO. To cap it all, there’s even a very brief mention of the NEW YORK DOLLS."

Dear practising troublemakers,

Would anyone happen to have the book "Popcorn Venus" by Marjorie Venus, the source for the title "How Soon is Now?" I would like to see the context of the passage as a whole. Most sources quote, "How immediately can we be gratified? How soon is now?” and not that it is a feminist essay, but I would like to see the whole quotation in context. The book has long been out of print and used copies are prohibitively expensive.
Full PDF... cough..no borrowing..cough..yours to keep...:
Regards,
FWD.

It is almost 470 pages of image scans as opposed to text.
It can take time to load and Internet Explorer/Edge can't always cope with it (much like the Peepholism pdf).
I've just tested it on a phone, chrome, tablet and open source pdf reader without issue.
It also (slowly) opens in a word processor.
It wouldn't open at all in third party pdf readers (pictured) if Archive's DRM was still in situ.
The fact that it works for someone else tells me the DRM was removed.
FWD.

hsin.jpg

Works here. Thank you for the share!

Full PDF... cough..no borrowing..cough..yours to keep...:
Regards,
FWD.
The pdf is unreadable when downloaded. Looks purposefully masked.
It is almost 470 pages of image scans as opposed to text.
It can take time to load and Internet Explorer/Edge can't always cope with it (much like the Peepholism pdf).
I've just tested it on a phone, chrome, tablet and open source pdf reader without issue.
It also (slowly) opens in a word processor.
It wouldn't open at all in third party pdf readers (pictured) if Archive's DRM was still in situ.
The fact that it works for someone else tells me the DRM was removed.
FWD.

View attachment 57240
Okay thanks for the scan. Don't know why it won't download clean for me on a Chrome Android tablet. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom