How Devoted are you to Morrissey?

oh, ...collaborating with Ashlee Simpson, yeah. good thing Bob took care of that one.

i was going to say theres nothing he could do to change my love for him, but what you said just might do it :p

-Starbucks released some of his CDs.

He released only one, and I will grant you this is regrettable.

Oh, fiddle-dee-dee, Oscar.

So what if Starbucks released some of his early work? What do you think the folks listening to Dylan at the Gaslight in 1962 were drinking while he was strumming his guitar? :D

Regarding the Beatles and Dylan; Lennon and Dylan respected each other, but they could never be good friends because of their huge egos (Dylan and George Harrison, on the other hand, became lifelong friends.) However, the influence they had on each other would have a profound effect on the paths they would eventually chose to take .

According to the book "Lennon" by Ray Coleman, Dylan recognized Lennon as being an intellegent and well-read man and he believed he was doing him a favor by telling him people would never know that judging by his songwriting style at the time. He suggested to Lennon he should try to write more introspective and meaningful songs.

Lennon returned the favor by telling Dylan that he wasn't going to get too far associating himself with the old Folkies and their train songs. Lennon proclaimed that rock and roll is the new folk music and he should address his songwriting and associate more with people his own age.

The result: Lennon writes more personal, introspective songs and Dylan grows his hair and plugs himself in.

If morrissey was ever caught on a drug fuelled orgy, even then i could probably forgive him.

I always try to separate the art from the artist. Goodness knows Morrissey has a voice and a presence that make life even more pleasurable, and I would be loathe to live without him.

However, if he were to kick one dog, throttle one cat, even swallow one live goldfish (two sins in one), it would all be over, instantly.

:(

Well, I used to be a huge Bob Dylan "fan"...just..in love with him. Now I can;t stand him. here are some of the things that he did...that just made me not like him, or able to stand him anymore..and if Morrissey did them, I would feel equally disappointed (probably not as much...my love for Moz is...impossible to break)

- He did a Victoria's Secret underwear commercial. It was such a ridiculous thing to endorse...and it seemed like a cry for help.

-Starbucks released some of his CDs.

-He had the Foo Fighters open his tour...blaaaah! It seemed like the label was trying to make him that much more available to youngsters...trying to reinvent him at the age of 65...And it's not just the Foo Fighters...he tried to completely immerse himself in the pop culture, which seemed really ridiuclous and money savy.

-He did not enjoy being on stage. Watching him sing his songs one got the impression that he'd rather be anywhere else than on stage. He was regurgitating his songs.

-The newest album was terrible. Just bad...he must be lyrically drained when he had to name check Alicia Keys in his songs...

-Contemplated involvment with American Idol.

-Openly admitted that his songs really have no meaning...that he is just good at playing around with words.

etc etc etc
so I think that if Morrissey said "it was all a lie" and did something like the stuff above...I would certainly not have as much respect as I have for him now. I think that it is truly remarkable that a person manages to stay as pure and individual as he did, in such a rotten industry.

argh! ok, i have to jump in here because i´m a huge bob dylan fan.. in fact, i saw him twice last weekend and it was fantastic!
stuff like the victoria´s secret commercial didn´t really bother me because.. ah well, i thought it was hilarious in a way.. and also a bit pervy, but then, not knowing his motivations, it didn´t change my opinion about him..
the starbucks thing.. i don´t care.. he´done far far worse, like for example the video to Tight Connection To My Heart. and the song in itself is almost a crime, because Someone´s Got A Hold Of My Heart was perfect. why did he have to change it? but, apart from shot of love, infideks, travelling wilburys and oh mercy, dylan´s 80s were desastrous anyway..

concerning his live performances.. he definitly did enjoy the concerts last weekend, he was laughing and smiling the whole time, i´ve never seen him like that.. it was fantastic!

and lastly, modern times is brilliant in my opinion!!! Workingman´s Blues #2 is probably the best song that´s been released last year! (with Life Is A Pigsty as a close second) Nettie Moore is beautiful, so is Spirit On The Water..

"now i´m down on my luck
and i´m black and blue
gonna give you another chance
i´m all alone, i´m expecting you
to lead me off in a cheerful dance.."

also, i read the title as "Howard Devoto are you to Morrissey", which is clearly a sign that i´m listening to too much Magazine these days..

the honeymoon period is over for me with Moz. That's not to say I don't love him any less, but I certainly don't view him as some divine being anymore :p For the sane fans this comes in the end.

As for him doing stuff that would really switch off my love for him...plenty of things, just like any human being.

also, i read the title as "Howard Devoto are you to Morrissey", which is clearly a sign that i´m listening to too much Magazine these days..

Heh, heh. That's quite alright.

I really wish I was really that subconsciously opaque when I did this thread, but it's never too late to try.So, here's a head's up: based on what I've been listening to lately, look for my next post's title as somehow having to do with Butthole Surfing.

:eek:

I believe Robert Smith made a statement on The Cure's webpage that that rumor was just that - a rumor. And that he would never do it...

As for my devotion to Morrissey - well, I don't think I'm really devoted to him in any way. He's just a singer I like. Not the only one, and not even my favorite one. I would say admiration is a better way of putting it than devotion...

didn't he do something with blink182? That's ALMOST as bad.

Back
Top Bottom